PDA

View Full Version : The Chu-Chu train has left the station

Oasis
12th Apr 2017, 11:22
Let's see how mr. Hogg does.

LongTimeInCX
12th Apr 2017, 11:34
Well that's great news that Ivan Who's valuable contribution has been recognized by a promotion ����, and that fresh blood has been bought in to take over the reins.
Oh wait.........!!!!!

CowardlyPilot
12th Apr 2017, 12:18
Does he like pilots this guy?

Liam Gallagher
12th Apr 2017, 13:03
You know your contribution to an organization is valued when you leave and they elect not to replace you with anyone. Begs the question, what did Ivan Who do?

Perhaps Cathay could learn from Wells Fargo who have clawed back US$136m ($HK1billion) from two discredited executives. That would be a big step towards the $4billion savings target.

Perhaps United could use Ivan's talents. They need someone who is good at explaining airline c0ck-ups to the media.

Shep69
12th Apr 2017, 16:29
When Shemp replaced Curly (due ill health of Jerry 'Curly' Howard -- Moe. Shemp, and Curly were all brothers FWIW) the premise of the show stayed pretty much the same. Although some might have thought it a little less funny.

And replacing Dick York with Dick Sergeant resulted in a similar character role for Derwood.

June Lockhart would replace Bea Benedaret (again due ill health) toward the end of the series 'Petticoat Junction' -- which had pretty much run its course. But once again the script didn't much change because the writers and producers were the same and it was the same story line.

So I guess one has to wait and see in these matters.

goathead
13th Apr 2017, 00:27
Spot on Shep
Gong 3 is now gong 2 whilst the ex gong 2 is now gong 1
The show remains the same
Nothing to see here
The circus will continue
And the Board will maintain there large bonuses

Captain Dart
13th Apr 2017, 01:44
The Three Stooges would have done a better job. Moe as CEO, Larry as COO and Curly as DFO and in charge of fuel hedging. 'Hey Moe, it's Time to Win, nyuk, nyuk nyuk!" 'Shuddup ya lame-brain!" Whack!

Pogie
13th Apr 2017, 13:31
Well, at least the world won't have to cringe through another incoherent, stammering, and nonsensical Bloomberg interview with Ivan the Retard. :ugh:

cxorcist
13th Apr 2017, 14:34
Well, at least the world won't have to cringe through another incoherent, stammering, and nonsensical Bloomberg interview with Ivan the Retard. :ugh:

In Ivan's defense... it's quite difficult to explain how 2+2 = 5, that the sky is actually not blue, and that losing billions of dollars on fuel hedging is actually a good thing for CX.

Trafalgar
13th Apr 2017, 15:24
I await RH's opening statements and policy address with interest. He has a chance to move this airline back in a direction of greatness. I am of course skeptical that the necessary reflection, self-awareness and humility exist in the minds of a career Swire manager to enable a wholesale revision to the policies of destruction that have been ingrained into our company over the past 20+ years. I will however give him the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. There is a great sickness at the heart of this airline, a sickness that is dissolving the fabric of it's great history and culture. The employees are not the problem. They never have been. The hedging losses alone would have provided proper housing, salaries, medical benefits and travel packages for all of the staff for the next 20 years, with the resulting productivity and career satisfaction. There needs to be someone at the top who understands that employee cost should not be bottom line driven. It should be distributed with the aim of hiring the best, training to the best standards and providing a proper foundation for those same employees to have confidence in their committing them and their families futures to the benefit of both themselves and CX. At the moment, nearly every single pilot in this airline feels abused, disrespected and taken advantage of. I have a litmus test: if there is another article in the SCMP blaming the pilots going forward, then RH is simply a continuing part of the problem. If AT is not compelled to sit down with the AOA and quickly settle a new contract, with RP's properly reinstated, then RH is simply a continuing part of the problem. If there is not a quick addressing of the scheduling and fatigue issues, and a cancellation of the SMP, then RH is simply a continuing part of the problem. If however RH establishes his credibility with the 3000+ professional aircrew who deserve far better than they have gotten over the past 20 years, then I will follow him to hell itself. Otherwise, this airline is probably lost, and it will be a sad footnote one day in a business school case study. RH, best wishes on your new position, but please respectfully know that more of the same will not be acceptable. We have suffered enough and it's time to restore what this airline meant to those of us who were fortunate enough to be here when we were proud to represent this company.

RAT Management
14th Apr 2017, 01:53
Don't hold your breath! :uhoh: :{ :ugh:

Arfur Dent
14th Apr 2017, 08:43
You're looking for someone with Independent Leadership qualities. Swire will not allow that. He will do as the Board instructs. Shame - they don't have much time to turn this around.....

cxorcist
14th Apr 2017, 15:41
You're looking for someone with Independent Leadership qualities. Swire will not allow that. He will do as the Board instructs. Shame - they don't have much time to turn this around.....

Don't worry, CMP will be be in place by 2019 to save the day... In the meantime, they'll have some "Service Bureaus" to do the trick in 2018.

What a joke! If costs are too high, get every expat guy who wants a base out of Hong Kong. It's pretty simple math. Expat costs are killing them, and they want to tinker around with CMP and SBs to fix the problem.

Wake up FOP... Your pilots are too expensive because they are living on allowances in HK, a place many don't want to be anyways. You have bases, use them! It's really not that difficult to figure out.

cxorcist
15th Apr 2017, 00:03
Wrong! Fuel hedging is killing them.

Also true, but I don't think getting out of the fuel hedges is an option. On the other hand, putting pilots on bases who want them is fairly easy.

Dilbert68
15th Apr 2017, 01:09
It's got nothing to do with getting out of the fuel hedges, that ship sailed long ago.
It's about the people responsible for this mess taking ownership of it.

Want to get the employees onside? Come out and admit that the ONLY reason we are in this predicament is because of THEIR disastrous gamble on hedging. One billion USD profit last year if it weren't for decisions beyond the control of the select few.

Cost cutting is inevitable but stop lying to us as to the reasons why it is necessary! I don't want to hear one more update about yields or currencies or load factors. It is all due to our hedging, we have full flights but have had to drop ticket prices to a level to compete with our competitors, that equals reduced yield. We no longer have CAD fuel surcharges to hide their incompetence. This all comes back to them.

Just own it Rupert. Maybe you will actually get some of us onboard if you could lead from the front. I won't hold my breath.

broadband circuit
15th Apr 2017, 03:13
In approximate numbers:

Hedge loss - $8B
Overall loss - $0.5B

So, correct me if my mathematics is off the target, but the hedge loss component was 16 times the overall loss.

16 times Rupert!!!

kenfoggo
15th Apr 2017, 03:27
Unfortunately it is not the owners or the shareholders who will shoulder the consequence of the disastrous fuel hedge gamble perpetrated by senior management. It is the hard working and conscientious staff. 30 per cent of the head office management will receive their notice by the end of next month. Approximately 1,000 or more people will lose their livelihood .

mghorient
15th Apr 2017, 03:46
I note Christopher Gibbs is no longer Director Engineering in the New Organisation.
Has he retired?

kiwicx
15th Apr 2017, 04:06
I note Christopher Gibbs is no longer Director Engineering in the New Organisation.
Has he retired?

"Chris Gibbs, Engineering Director of Cathay Pacific, will be appointed Group Director Components & Engine Services of HAECO, replacing Greg Hughes with effect from 1st June 2017."

cxorcist
15th Apr 2017, 12:49
"Chris Gibbs, Engineering Director of Cathay Pacific, will be appointed Group Director Components & Engine Services of HAECO, replacing Greg Hughes with effect from 1st June 2017."

So just recycled like all the other Swire directors...

courseitsfixed
15th Apr 2017, 22:58
And his replacement is of course a Swire chappie who apart from a stint at HAESL appears to bring even less aircraft engineering experience than CG did......... :(

Cpt. Underpants
15th Apr 2017, 23:07
And his replacement is of course a Swire chappie who apart from a stint at HAESL appears to bring even less aircraft engineering experience than CG did......... :(

I would disagree regarding CG's "lack of experience".

He's been in CX, in Engineering (and doing a very good job imho) since at least 1992.

He's not your enemy. He's smart, articulate and experienced.

Give the man his due.

Trafalgar
16th Apr 2017, 04:27
Guys (oh, sorry...and ladies as well), back off on CG. He's a dedicated, hard working and competent individual. My experience is that most of the engineers try their best to help me when I have a problem with an aircraft. That at least is one area of the company that still functions reasonably well.

TurningFinalRWY36
16th Apr 2017, 04:31
one thing id hope people would have learnt by now is don't bad talk the people who look after the aircraft you fly. All the engineers I come across are dedicated and knowledgeable. They deserve our credit

oriental flyer
16th Apr 2017, 06:53
My biggest gripe is that the poor engineers are overworked and never have enough turnaround time to fix things that go wrong . But overall they are an excellent bunch of guys doing the very best they can with the resources they have

Marmiteorvegemite
17th Apr 2017, 06:28
Has he retired?

HAECO Group Director