PDA

View Full Version : QANTAS renaming .... to QUAINTASS

RetiredTooEarly
5th Apr 2017, 21:12
Hope this post is not out of order but it it sickens me to see how the CEO Joyce of QF is thrusting (no pun intended) his publicly gay profile into the airline where I know it is highly resented by the vast majority of flight crew and employees!

From having an aircraft painted in the rainbow livery of the gay fraternity, he has now decreed that all gay couples travelling on the airline be given a ring (no pun intended) to show their love (gunna barf brb) etc. and the airlines support of their cause!

OK, I'm old property and not into tail gunners etc. but this is pathetic! He has already been dragged over the coals by our PM and some senior MP's for flaming his sexual preferences under the cloak of QF but I think he should consider the effect his own personal desires are having on the airlines image and all the employees!

I'm dun!

SMT Member
5th Apr 2017, 21:25
If the vast majority really is highly resentful of gays, as you imply, I agree there's something fundamentally wrong. But it's not about giving the LGBT community a bit of much deserved wind in their sails.

People can't help how they're wired, and I frankly couldn't give a toss with whom someone falls in love. I do care about the abuse, hatred and discrimination those who are gay have been subjected to, and it's high time they are valued for what they are: Just normal people going about living their lives as best for them.

I'd suggest it's the 'flight crew and employees' (didn't know there was a difference BTW) who need to take a good, hard, look at themselves and start joining the 21st century.

Offcut
5th Apr 2017, 21:26
Really? Of all the issues facing pilots these days, this is the one you want to publicise? Why does this bother you so much? Live and let live I say. All I want from a CEO is a financially healthy airline and continued employment.

kev2002
5th Apr 2017, 21:59
Seems to me that you retired at just the right time

AerocatS2A
5th Apr 2017, 22:32
I'm dun!
Good. The western world has moved on and left you behind, don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.

Tuner 2
5th Apr 2017, 22:39
I'm an employee (heterosexual) and I fully support it.

troppo
5th Apr 2017, 22:39
There's no 'U' or 'I' in Qantas :}

At ease
5th Apr 2017, 22:46
When it's my money and I have the choice I will never board another Quaintass flight.

I will never own another Holden(Australian made car - for now).

They have decided to go down the same road.

It is extremely distressing that iconic Australian businesses are doing this.

Well, they won't be doing so with any of my money.

Tuner 2
5th Apr 2017, 22:52
When it's my money and I have the choice I will never board another Quaintass flight.

I will never own another Holden(Australian made car - for now).

They have decided to go down the same road.

It is extremely distressing that iconic Australian businesses are doing this.

Well, they won't be doing so with any of my money.

It's great you have that CHOICE. What a shame same sex couples don't have their own CHOICE.

I doubt QF's profitability will be much affected by yours.

RENURPP
5th Apr 2017, 22:58
I doubt QF's profitability will be much affected by yours.
Well there lies the QF problem! QF atttitude.

It's not just "his" it's mine and many others as well.
I chose some time back never to pay for a QF ticket again. Not even staff travel. Domestically I pay virgin, internationally Singapore or Emirrates.

Tuner 2
5th Apr 2017, 23:01
Have you considered that QF's stance is gaining more business than it is losing?

Last time I checked, Qantas was doing a lot better financially than its domestic competition and most of the airlines you listed combined.

Capt Fathom
5th Apr 2017, 23:03
Qantas are obviously travelling well if they can spend time promoting an issue which is totally unrelated to running the airline!
This years bonuses must be locked in already?

normanton
5th Apr 2017, 23:27
I couldn't agree more.

I'm not gay, but I do support the gay people getting their rights etc etc

I think it's too far when a CEO spreads his prerogative all over a company though.

6th Apr 2017, 00:14
Good. The western world has moved on and left you behind, don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.

ohh, he offers a different opinion to yours and now he has been left behind?

clark y
6th Apr 2017, 00:38
Bit of drift, but I had to laugh when I saw the thread title because I immediately thought of what some Asian ATC calls QANTAS.

Jeps
6th Apr 2017, 00:38
Well yes in a way. It's got nothing to do with his opinion on the matter. Just look at the majority of western democracies who have had this in place for or some time now. Everyone forgot about it and moved on and people get to marry who they want. I'll defend anyone saying anything, make homophobic slurs if you wish, I'll disagree and then defend your right to say such things. However, when it comes to actually restricting the rights of others from a legal perspective, whole different kettle of fish. Being of a younger generation we pretty much laugh at the older crustier men among us and shake our heads at the hang ups and archaic views some people have developed over the years. This is most certainly not the only issue either. For example: the right to die with dignity. But that's a whole other can of worms in itself!

t_cas
6th Apr 2017, 01:22
Normalization of deviance?
It may all lead to the predictable surprise.
The hot potato is when any person has any view or opinion on the subject.
Stockholm syndrome. Is it possible that a leader of an iconic brand has actually hijacked and used the leverage for an agenda.
Regimes across the world use the same tactics. Some we agree with (sanctioned) some we do not (the "t' word) all are seen by their respective supporters (cultures) as being morally correct.
It is all about perception.
At the end of the day we need to live harmoniously and get on with it. Agendas that are founded in politics, power, religion and sex will only divide.

Ixixly
6th Apr 2017, 01:29
RetiredTooEarly, who cares? It doesn't hurt you at all, heck, it doesn't even hurt the company financially!! The rings probably cause them all of a couple of grand which is a drop in the ocean and gives them huge amounts of publicity. The repainting is something they would probably have had to do anyway and is something they often do, there's lots of QF Aircraft over many years that have been painted in support of one cause or another.

I have no love for Alan Joyce, I find he's a little turd, but he is Gay and wants to show LGBTQ people that they are supported and that Qantas is an inclusive Airline by making what is ultimately a very small gesture that is supported by the Majority of Australians and I'd dare say a majority of the world now as seen by the changing of laws in many countries and the hundreds of Polls taken across the world.

If you want to look at it from a purely business point of view, this is fantastically done, costs them very little, gets them good free advertising in the papers and is something that whilst turning off a few people such as yourself will get a far larger number of people on their side and buy them some breathing space and happy thoughts for the next time he decides to screw over the people he employs.

AerocatS2A
6th Apr 2017, 01:39
ohh, he offers a different opinion to yours and now he has been left behind?

No, he's left behind because his opinion is different from the majority. My opinion doesn't matter, in fact I'd like to think I'd have responded the same if I agreed with him but recognised we were in the minority.

Trevor the lover
6th Apr 2017, 02:11
Yet again, educated pilots (?) who cannot read. Retired Too Early did NOT say "the vast majority of aircrew are highly resentful of gays" as YOU have implied SMT. He said the vast majority of aircrew are against Joyce's thrusting of his publicly gay profile into the airline. Big difference.

And I am with Retired - got nothing against gays (no pun intended). But I do have something against political agendas of the CEO being pushed by a publicly listed vehicle. The shareholders own the airline, and whilst the CEO and board make decisions, the decisions should be about the welfare of the company, not the sexual rights of a country's citizens.

And if you disagree - well how many other non core agendas has Alan pushed using the airline? Funny how he's chosen his particular one. Anyway - my point is to correct SMT and other's misreading of Retired's opening statement.

And on a similar vane - I hate airlines that collect money for UNICEF, or add a voluntary surcharge for carbon offsets, but then take all the credit by saying "Boofy Airlines supports children in need" or "Boofy airlines is committed to fighting global warming and responsibly offsets carbon emissions." NO THEY don't, the passengers do the support, the passengers contribute. (Yep, I do have better things to whinge about, but I just had a sh!tty night and didn't get enough sleep)

F.B.Eye
6th Apr 2017, 05:18
A broken ring. How symbolic.

Duff Man
6th Apr 2017, 08:25
Maybe it's peer pressure from big brother American Airlines? They formed one of a group of corporate signatories successfully petitioning (https://www.scribd.com/doc/257794356/Employer-Amicus-Brief-Obergefell-v-Hodges) the US Supreme Court to strike down bans on same-sex marriage. Think about that list next time you do a Google search, insert your Amex, or enjoy an icy cold Coca-Cola dribbling down your throat.

“This is a historic moment for our country and for many of American’s employees,” said American’s Chairman and CEO Doug Parker. “Today’s decision reaffirms the commitment of companies like American that recognize equality is good for business and society as a whole.” - https://hub.aa.com/en/dv/pride-month

Wonderworld
6th Apr 2017, 11:37
Have you actually asked every employee about this or are you just making it up to suit your backward agenda?