PDA

View Full Version : Mrs May Airlines??

cessnapete
4th Apr 2017, 17:18
I noticed Mrs May arriving in Jordan in a civil Chartered B757. I thought we had a specially modified RAF Voyager for these Ministerial trips?
The B757 probably cheaper than the Voyager.

zetec2
4th Apr 2017, 18:24
Looks like the Voyagers are being used to ship troops to Estonia for the "big boots on ground" exercise.

brakedwell
5th Apr 2017, 15:19
Looks like the Voyagers are being used to ship troops to Estonia for the "big boots on ground" exercise.

I suppose that is more important than the Brexit PR exercise in the Middle East :suspect:

Mr Mac
5th Apr 2017, 15:43
Looks poor in that part of the world when you turn up in a borrowed old A/C when touting for business. It would almost have been better to have gone in a new rented Gulfstream. I can remember when working out there how sales people used to obtain Concorde luggage tags even if they had never flown on it, just because of the doors in could open - it was in the 80.s however so sometime ago.

Regards
Mr Mac

brakedwell
5th Apr 2017, 15:49
Does anyone know who owns the chartered B757?

Nantucket Sleighride
5th Apr 2017, 16:05
looked like the Gainjet 757 SX-RFA

brakedwell
5th Apr 2017, 16:25
What message does a British Prime Minister arriving in a Greek registered B757 send out to Jordan and Saudi Arabia?

charliegolf
5th Apr 2017, 16:45
What message does a British Prime Minister arriving in a Greek registered B757 send out to Jordan and Saudi Arabia?

That she's not the Queen?

thunderbird7
5th Apr 2017, 16:48
...just thinks she is... 😉

Door Slider
5th Apr 2017, 19:36
https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/788276/Princes-Charles-praises-British-aid-workers-in-Somalia

The aircraft can't be in two places at once.

brakedwell
5th Apr 2017, 21:16
https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/788276/Princes-Charles-praises-British-aid-workers-in-Somalia

The aircraft can't be in two places at once.

He is flying in a Voyager. The number on the nose gear doors is 336, full serial number ZZ 336.

mopardave
5th Apr 2017, 21:40
Why does Chaz get to fly the flag and Theresa doesn't? God, we're a set of bloody cheapskates!

MPN11
5th Apr 2017, 22:27
Why does Chaz get to fly the flag and Theresa doesn't? God, we're a set of bloody cheapskates!

... or alternatively, skint! ;)

configsafenot
6th Apr 2017, 01:54
May should have had the Voyager since she was on official business for this country and Charlie & Cammy should have an old beat up BA A319 or similar for their holiday brown nosing or maybe Charlie & Cammy are as embarrased about BA as the rest of us

brakedwell
6th Apr 2017, 05:10
... or alternatively, skint! ;)

You could be right, but Chas is higher up the pecking order and placed his towel on the sun bed first.

PM charters flight as royals use official RAF Airbus - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39510024)

Given the choice I would prefer to be pampered in the B757

http://www.gainjet.com/vip-boeing-b757-200/

HZ123
6th Apr 2017, 08:19
Poor state of affairs when MM cannot charter a UK registered aircraft. Nothing even on an 'M' registration?

Lynxman
6th Apr 2017, 09:45
Or a '2' registration? That confused me when I first saw one.

sycamore
6th Apr 2017, 10:02
The FO are too busy `giving `Aid` to the despots of the World..

Martin the Martian
6th Apr 2017, 11:36
Charles and Camilla are on a European tour, so why couldn't they use one of the Northolt 146s?

Wyler
6th Apr 2017, 11:43
Or Easyjet.

The PM should take priority. She is on (important) official business and actually has the authority to make decisions rather than chatting with a daffodil and charging 5 quid for a Duchy of Cornwall scone.

shotleylad
6th Apr 2017, 11:58
As it is the Royal Air Force it seems the Royal family have priority.

Herod
6th Apr 2017, 13:31
Easy answer. Charles was deputising for the Queen, who is HEAD OF STATE. The Prime Minister is HEAD OF GOVERNMENT, appointed by HEAD OF STATE.

cessnapete
6th Apr 2017, 13:55
Looking at the interior of said B757, who would choose the crappy airline interior Voyager!!

melmothtw
6th Apr 2017, 13:59
The FO are too busy `giving `Aid` to the despots of the World..

I don't think it was the FO that gifted Charles the Voyager for this flight. That is what you meant, right?

TorqueOfTheDevil
7th Apr 2017, 08:20
'Mrs May Airlines'...? 'FlyMayBe', shurely?

Procrastinus
7th Apr 2017, 08:45
Charles should live by the green credentials he preaches to anyone who will listen, and go round Europe by train.

Davef68
7th Apr 2017, 10:35
Charles and Camilla are on a European tour, so why couldn't they use one of the Northolt 146s?

Maybe Chas is banned from those? previous and all that? :-)

Aynayda Pizaqvick
7th Apr 2017, 10:43
You can't win on this site; people kick off at PMs/Royals for using RAF as their personal taxi service and then do likewise when they save money by using chartered civilian services!

ShotOne
7th Apr 2017, 20:36
"..he should go by train". Right, wearing a suit from oxfam too, I suppose? It's hard to see what that would achieve beyond making our country look shambling and disorganised in the eyes of the world

Alber Ratman
7th Apr 2017, 21:10
Charles is on state business. The Daily Fail journos can stick themselves up their own backsides. May is not one of us, was one of us, never will be one of us and the likes of her and the others politicians, both left and right side, have messed things up so badly the armed forces of the UK have got stiffed. Remember that. Rant over and all I will say on the matter.

configsafenot
7th Apr 2017, 21:31
How about a compromise.....

May had her way with the Voyager and gave Charlie & Cammy a lift. Dumped them off somewhere in Europe....Eindhoven will do....and then May with Voyager continue to Saudi Arabia

Then May can collect Charlie & Cammy on the way back

Job done.....easy peasy with a little hindsight ;)

Aynayda Pizaqvick
8th Apr 2017, 01:37
Or b) they do what they did after consultation with all relevant parties and produce a solution that all, including the bean counters who would have had to shell out for contract air, are happy with. Or we can all sit here in hindsight and give a dozen options that would have bedn 'better'...

Tankertrashnav
8th Apr 2017, 16:33
There is an article in today's Times about when HRH went to the US in 2007 to accept an environmental leadership award with Al Gore. In view of the nature of the occasion he decided it would be better to travel on a scheduled flight with his entourage of 14. Apparently he complained that he found the first class seats "incredibly uncomfortable".

What he would have thought if he had flown steerage with the plebs can only be imagined!

Right, wearing a suit from oxfam too, I suppose?

Might look better than those bloody awful double breasted things he seems so fond of. No doubt had a dozen made in Savile Row 30 years ago and hasn't noticed that he looks like an estate agent from the 80s in them!

chevvron
9th Apr 2017, 13:20
Easy answer. Charles was deputising for the Queen, who is HEAD OF STATE. The Prime Minister is HEAD OF GOVERNMENT, appointed by HEAD OF STATE.

Has 32 (The Royal) Sqdn disbanded? Surely a '146 would have been better suited for a short haul European tour leaving the PM the use of the Voyager.

brakedwell
9th Apr 2017, 14:52
Has 32 (The Royal) Sqdn disbanded? Surely a '146 would have been better suited for a short haul European tour leaving the PM the use of the Voyager.

That is too logical for this government.

Ascoteer
9th Apr 2017, 15:27

Royal Family not entitled to abated cost travel on 32(TR) Sqn aircraft.

Wander00
10th Apr 2017, 13:12
Ascoteer - am I reading your post correctly - the Royal family not entitled to fly in "The Royal" Squadron aircraft, or am I missing something?or

Ascoteer
10th Apr 2017, 20:03
Ascoteer - am I reading your post correctly - the Royal family not entitled to fly in "The Royal" Squadron aircraft, or am I missing something?or

They're entitled, they just have to pay 'full cost', which is astronomical. All to do with Department For Transport grants to the Royal Travel Office.

Wander00
11th Apr 2017, 07:59
aah, OK. Thanks

melmothtw
11th Apr 2017, 08:10
They're entitled, they just have to pay 'full cost', which is astronomical. All to do with Department For Transport grants to the Royal Travel Office.

Love the idea that you think the royals pay any attention to cost when drawing up their travel plans.

brakedwell
11th Apr 2017, 08:21
Love the idea that you think the royals pay any attention to cost when drawing up their travel plans.

Especially Air Miles Andy :}

TBM-Legend
11th Apr 2017, 10:23
I remember the Duke crawling around here in Oz in the "Kitty" HS748....long way from Northolt!