PDA

View Full Version : Apaches on Hampstead Heath

garibaldi22k
3rd Apr 2017, 11:05
I've just received info that 2x Apaches very recently landed on Hampstead Heath.

Anybody out there have any more info as to why, what for etc ?

chevvron
3rd Apr 2017, 13:03
There's a secret tunnel built during WW2 which leads direct from Westminster to Hampstead Heath. Maybe recceing an 'escape route'?
Oops it's not secret any more is it?

Evanelpus
3rd Apr 2017, 14:20
MP's arranging secret (although, not now) assignations with rent boys.........it's alledged!

Jamesair
3rd Apr 2017, 14:35
I did see the two Apaches in Question at lunchtime flying very low towards the Heath but can't add any more info.

SpringHeeledJack
3rd Apr 2017, 15:17
I was going to add a bd taste joke about Hampstead Heath, but decided against it. No idea what the Apaches were doing, but has anyone else noticed a marked increase in the Mil helo activity these last months ? Almost daily 2 ship Pumas loping around various locales in London, more Chinooks than before as well as 'other' whirlythings not seen in such numbers in these parts.

DaveReidUK
3rd Apr 2017, 15:21
There's a secret tunnel built during WW2 which leads direct from Westminster to Hampstead Heath.

To be fair, I think most people know about the Northern Line by now. :O

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
3rd Apr 2017, 15:47
Any reports of smoke signals?

chevvron
3rd Apr 2017, 15:52
To be fair, I think most people know about the Northern Line by now. :O

In a book called 'Beneath the City Streets' an eyewitness claims he was walking on the Heath one day during WW2 when Churchill and his entourage suddenly appeared from a hole in the ground.
Sounds as likely as the story in the same book about the aircraft factory under Wentworth Golf Course where they used to make parts for Wellingtons/Warwicks which were then assembled and test flown at nearby Smith's Lawn.

pax britanica
4th Apr 2017, 10:04
Coincidentally last night there was a programme on the tube-first in a series and I thought it was very interesting-more about the tube engineering and its technical history than the 'day in the life' type.
Anyway they covered the disused/never used Hampstead heath station . It was supposed to be on a branch /connector line between the two northern arms of the Northern line. Planned before the war the land surrounding it was bought up by posh folks who didnt want a tube with associated Metroland developments and having bought it bequeathed it to Hampstead heath as additional commonland.

So there was Northern line tunnel -two in fact from central London which could access the tunnel(s) to Hampstead heath . It could have been a bolt hole for the Government easily enough but the secrecy element probably stems from the fact it was a secret control room for the floodgates installed on the lines which would be effected if a heavy bomb fell in the Thames and shock fractured the under Thames tunnels and threatened to flood much of the system.

As to the Apaches , they are common where I live, near Sandhurst and with Odiham down the road the Chinooks are a daily sight up and down the M3.

The Apaches really are one mean looking beast though when they descend over the town very low adorned with weaponry , the like the B52 and Vulcan really do have the angel of death look

angels
4th Apr 2017, 17:54
Almost daily 2 ship Pumas loping around various locales in London

There was one at very low level (500 feet?) over Blackheath a few days back. He did a couple of circuits with nifty turns and then headed north. Also seen some Apaches, but much higher.

See Chinooks all the time pottering along the river but (as I noted elsewhere on Pprune), one did a really impressive split-arse 180 over Greenwich itself yesterday.

I speculated he had left his fags behind.

lotus1
4th Apr 2017, 18:33
Had a puma land on the helicopter roof pad at stgeorges hospital Tooting Friday what a racket also noted the two low flying Pumas on Monday afternoon heading towards biggin hill from wandsworth

WHBM
4th Apr 2017, 21:23
In a book called 'Beneath the City Streets'.
That book, written by Peter Laurie around 1980, has to be the biggest compilation of ludicrous conspiracy stories in one cover ever. A complete work of fiction and invention. He's only got to see an uncommon type of manhole cover and he envisages it's the secret back entrance to MI5. He did several follow up volumes as well. As you can imagine, London Underground facilities feature heavily. I was read with hoots of laughter by the engineers there.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
4th Apr 2017, 21:44
Folks..... helicopters of all shapes and sizes, civil and military, fly in and around London all day every day. It is not unusual. Apart from hospitals there are various military establishments which attract helicopters too. They are controlled by various ATC units - Northolt, Heathrow, Thames Radar, etc.

angels
5th Apr 2017, 06:28
It is not unusual.

That's just the point HD, some of these movements are unusual. The initial post referred to a rumour that a couple of Apaches had landed on Hampstead heath. This hasn't been addressed yet.

But SpringHeeledJack said he had noticed a marked increase in military activity, which is unusual. So have I for sure. I can assure you that Pumas do not do several low passes over Blackheath every day.

Martin the Martian
5th Apr 2017, 12:36
I imagine recent events at Westminster may account for some of it.

air pig
5th Apr 2017, 13:08
Had a puma land on the helicopter roof pad at stgeorges hospital Tooting Friday what a racket also noted the two low flying Pumas on Monday afternoon heading towards biggin hill from wandsworth

St Georges is a major trauma centre and HEMS only carry one patient but in a mass casualty situation a Puma can carry more, and its a way of keeping the fire crew current for larger aircraft. Apaches have been known to land on the pad at Leeds General as well, I believe.

garibaldi22k
6th Apr 2017, 13:37
Thanks, for all your the enlightening replies

B Fraser
6th Apr 2017, 21:01
Didn't the Village People have an Apache ? I hear that Hampstead Heath can be quite popular at times. :uhoh:

http://www.smh.com.au/content/dam/images/4/0/d/8/i/image.related.articleLeadwide.620x349.giq271.png/1438560543990.jpg