PDA

View Full Version : Apple Safari

hippocrates
1st Apr 2017, 13:55
Thought i would ask a group of like minded people rather than a tech forum of die hard computer geeks......
Is anyone else having a torrid time with Apple Safari after last couple of updates?

Cheers,
Hippo

Roadster280
1st Apr 2017, 14:03
No. Works just fine here on Mac, iPhone & iPad. What are you struggling with?

hippocrates
1st Apr 2017, 14:20
Hi, thanks for the reply.
Tablets, phones and macbooks all OK, just seems to be the copy on my desktop.Endless Hanging when trying to get onto web and then refusing to force quit when i lose my 'will to live' waiting.
Google searching has got me delving into the caches etc to delete various files which has made it start to behave in a slightly more gentlemanly manner but its so unstable i have locked it away and gone back to using firefox.
Bugger of the matter is that the latest Mac OS doesn't let you delete safari to start a fresh with a newly downloaded copy.
If i was at work i could blame MODNET but alas this is all my own work!
Cheers

crablab
1st Apr 2017, 14:26
Sounds like it could well be a virus.
Have you got anti-virus and is it running?

Roadster280
1st Apr 2017, 14:47
Have you got the Flash plugin in it? I found Flash was causing me all manner of grief, so I binned it. If a website want me to use it, I go elsewhere. If that's not practical, I'll use Chrome as it can interpret Flash natively.

Given that the MacBook works fine, I'd look at what the differences are between the two installations.

hippocrates
1st Apr 2017, 14:49
I run Avast and that is not showing any problems or viruses.
My now boringly exhaustive googling seems to suggest this problem is not unheard of so i guess ill lock safari away until a future update sorts out whatever gremlin has been unleashed.
Firefox now up to speed and normal jogging can commence.

hippocrates
1st Apr 2017, 14:49
Cheers for the heads up Roadster. Ill check on flash.

hippocrates
1st Apr 2017, 15:18
My biggest learning point from this is that i am very glad i had another browser downloaded and sat idle. The safari failure was such that i could not use it to access the web. No Backup would have meant no means of accessing the web for a resolution!

Roadster280
2nd Apr 2017, 01:56
My biggest learning point from this is that i am very glad i had another browser downloaded and sat idle. The safari failure was such that i could not use it to access the web. No Backup would have meant no means of accessing the web for a resolution!

Access to the App Store is not browser dependent. There are dozens of alternatives to Safari.

hippocrates
2nd Apr 2017, 08:00
Which would you recommend?

thunderbird7
2nd Apr 2017, 09:26
I use Firefox on my MacBook for all the reasons you talked about. Only problem is its rubbish on iPad or iPhone and you run into browser favourites sync complications. However, a far better browser IMHO.

oldbeefer
2nd Apr 2017, 10:20
I use Chrome on all devices.

Hydromet
2nd Apr 2017, 10:55
No problems with Safari, I don't use Flash for the same reason as Roadster. I did find that a security program Trust Defender, installed by my bank, made it hang when trying to open some sites, so disabled it.

Lyneham Lad
2nd Apr 2017, 11:03
Good advice given but you may well find more if you post your problem here:-
Computer/Internet Issues & Troubleshooting - PPRuNe Forums (http://www.pprune.org/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting-46/)

Roadster280
2nd Apr 2017, 13:34
Which would you recommend?

I use Safari pretty much exclusively. I have Chrome and Opera installed too, and use them in that order for a "second opinion".

The number of sites that require Flash are much fewer these days than they used to be, so I find Safari covers it all. The good thing about Safari is that it syncs between devices using iCloud, which makes life just a little more straightforward.

Argonautical
3rd Apr 2017, 22:30
hippocrates

Next time it hangs, open activity monitor and see if anything is "Not responding". I bet you will see a safari web object as the culprit. Under my safari prefs, I have unticked "use plug-ins" and "allow-webGL".

I also managed to find a copy of Safari 10 on the web and when it begins to play up, usually after an update, I simply re-install it again. I agree it is a fairly "sensitive" browser now.

howiehowie93
4th Apr 2017, 11:43
There's a know "thing" with Safari hogging all the resources on a Mac. The fix is to go to applications and delete Safari.

Then open Safari from the Dock - the icon for Safari will still be there. This fixes the issue.

Hope that helps

Lyneham Lad
4th Apr 2017, 15:04
There's a know "thing" with Safari hogging all the resources on a Mac. The fix is to go to applications and delete Safari.

Then open Safari from the Dock - the icon for Safari will still be there. This fixes the issue.

Hope that helps

Hmm, just tried that on my iMac (Sierra 10.12.4) and received the response:-

“Safari” can’t be modified or deleted because it’s required by macOS.

Anyway, I mostly use Chrome...

Brian W May
4th Apr 2017, 16:46
Opera is really fast on my MacBook Pro.

Safari slows down time out of number, so I rarely use it.

Argonautical
4th Apr 2017, 19:06
Lyneham Lad

Mac OS now have something called SIP (system integrated protection) which you found when you tried to delete Safari. You can turn it off by booting off the recovery partition but it is not recommended.

MightyGem
4th Apr 2017, 20:32
Sounds like it could well be a virus.
No it's not.

Have a look here, see if it's of any help:
Safari Problems | Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/os-x-apps-and-games/340245-safari.html)