PDA

View Full Version : HMRC tax investigations into UK (FR / Bfield) pilots

AgainstTheMachine
29th Mar 2017, 10:39
Looking for FR / Brookfield pilots based in UK and currently under HMRC investigation? Would like to hear from you.

Nil further
29th Mar 2017, 10:53
I'd suggest you will need to post some more info about who you are and why you want to hear before you get much of a response .

makster66
29th Mar 2017, 10:58
Yep, did everything I was told to, no dodgey reciepts, claimed nothing I shouldn't of.
PM me if you like.

AgainstTheMachine
29th Mar 2017, 12:07
I am a pilot currently under investigation by HMRC. Looking to speak with people going through the same.

Avenger
29th Mar 2017, 14:44
Troll Alert:ok:

gearlever
29th Mar 2017, 14:45
I am a pilot currently under investigation by HMRC. Looking to speak with people going through the same.

Suggest to consult a lawyer....

AgainstTheMachine
29th Mar 2017, 14:56
Troll Alert:ok:

Absolutely not a troll and you shouldn't be writing that when someone is putting a genuine query / ask for help.

HMRC are currently investigating UK based pilots for unpaid tax. I am one of said pilots and are looking for others who are going through the same. If you have nothing positive to say on this thread then don't bother.

AgainstTheMachine
29th Mar 2017, 19:16
Skyflyer 737 - unfortunately (being a new member) I am unable to send pm's until I have made a number of posts. I can only send messages by email...I'm not getting an email option for you either.

Avenger
29th Mar 2017, 19:55
HMRC are currently investigating UK based pilots for unpaid tax

I don't think so, thats a general statement and complete scare mongering.
At least two former CX colleagues have been trying to sort their UK tax affairs out for the past 5 years with HMRC and basically all HMRC say is send us either proof of tax paid or we make an assessment and then deduct whatever via whichever DTA they have. The NAS guys working through agencies are on the surface clean, leaving a handful of guys that claim to be Directors of Companies providing services to XYX and claiming every pub meal and gallon of fuel, or the so called " self employed" within companies they registered which is also nonsense. Unless you give the HMRC cause to look, they can't be bothered:
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/nov/01/hmrc-investigating-19bn-in-potential-tax-avoidance-by-super-rich
Bigger fish to fry!
There are a myriad of tax lawyers out there that will sort your affairs for the same price as the tax you owe... but you still owe the tax..Of course one must be careful regarding the " tax avoidance" schemes or " tax evasion" ..look up the differences.. and if one is stupid enough to rent their house out at one end of the country and claim " lodgings/hotac" at the other end, when they have really bought another bolt hole...well begs the question if they belong in uniform or a straight jacket..

gearlever
29th Mar 2017, 20:20
Those who are cheating on taxes are stealing money from our social society, e.g. our kids future.

So for me, no Amazon, no Facebook, no Starbucks, no Apple, no eBay, no Ryanair.

AgainstTheMachine
29th Mar 2017, 20:40
Avenger - please see my original post -

Looking for FR / Brookfield pilots based in UK and currently under HMRC investigation? Would like to hear from you.

You are rambling about something completely different. There is no scare mongering here at all. Ryanair have employed pilots from all over the world and paid tax to Ireland rather than their country of residence. Just google 'german pilots homes raided'

Here in the UK HMRC are after SOME pilots..... I'm one of them and know of others.

Please, leave this thread to people who want to discuss this issue.

29th Mar 2017, 21:04
Those who are cheating on taxes are stealing money from our social society, e.g. our kids future.

So for me, no Amazon, no Facebook, no Starbucks, no Apple, no eBay, no Ryanair.

A very good point.
However, note, all those organizations mentioned are too big to be bullied by the taxman.
Much easier to screw the little people.........

Avenger
30th Mar 2017, 06:26
ATM, yes you are right, apologies, did not read the original post clearly enough. Brookfield are well known to try and both avoid their obligations and on the other hand want to penalise pilots. (old News)

https://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0729/465324-ryanair-pilots-employment-arrangements-criticised/

Following the German case, the UK HMRC appears to have its eyes set on collecting the employment taxes (possibly due) from Brookfield and probably need the evidence of tax issues from contractors supplied via Brookfield.

So what exactly is an HMRC investigation?

From a guidance source:

"There is no standard definition. Investigative contact made by HMRC comes in many forms; some more serious than others.
Broadly speaking; a tax investigation is an enquiry launched by HMRC into the affairs of an individual, business or other entity.
It can cover the full range of taxes that come under HMRC’s jurisdiction – including; income tax, corporation tax, capital gains tax, tax credits and VAT.
HMRC investigation proceedings generally commence when the Inspector has concerns regarding information that has been supplied to them – information that leads to a potential tax loss.
An HMRC investigation can also begin if the department identifies a UK resident who is operating in the hidden economy. In other words, an individual or business that is not in the tax system.
Less than 10% of investigations begin randomly. So if you receive a tax investigation letter from HMRC, you can be reasonably sure that they feel you have underpaid tax.

If one is a "current" contractor via Brookfield I suspect a heavy handed gagging attempt will occur, but at the end of the day its the individual that has the sleepless nights and ultimately needs to get their affairs to a level they are comfortable with. My advice FWIW would be to send everything paperwork wise to HMRC and let them decide, bite the bullet on the tax as the penalty for evasion can be 150% of the tax due, plus the tax itself.

gearlever
30th Mar 2017, 08:43
Have a look:

http://www.pprune.org/terms-endearment/591436-dutch-ryanair-pilot-loses-court-case-vs-tax-man-not-deemed-self-employed.html

AgainstTheMachine
30th Mar 2017, 12:15
Skyflyer - thanks, I will pm you as soon as I am able and glad to hear your investigation didn't see you with a huge sum due.

Gearlever - I have read about the dutch pilot. I would like to think that if similar UK cases went to court the judge would agree that pilots are not 'self employed' and then the case should be addressed to Ryanair as the 'employer' Ryanair have run disguised / bogus employment for years.

Avenger - thanks for the link, I have experienced the sleaze of Brookfield first hand.

I agreed to an initial meeting with HMRC having received (quite a threatening) letter re tax avoidance, from fraud squad etc etc. I had an initial meeting with HMRC and now see that they are, indeed, going after the individuals for any amount possible..... they don't have the cojones to take this to the real criminal....

If anybody is in a similar position I would certainly like to hear from them.

Should anyone feel the need to post something negative, please don't. I am simply here to find others.

ELondonPax
30th Mar 2017, 12:38
AgainstTheMachine. I'm not a pilot but I have had various dealings (through my employer) with HMRC. You need to engage professional advice - legal or accountancy, possibly both - now. If HMRC suspect something amiss (however misguided that suspicion might be) they have very serious powers - some of the normal 'presumption of innocence' may not apply - these powers are very much stacked in their favour.
The recent Court cases in the UK have been about employment rights (holiday pay etc) rather than tax per se. But the "colour" of noise coming out of Mrs May's government is that she and Hammond are not relaxed about disguised employment in the way that Cameron/Osbourne were.
Your perception of 'fault' may be with others (be it Brookfield or Ryanair) but HMRC may not agree - they can come after you if you made certain declarations on previous tax returns - the IR35 provisions are very relevant here.
I repeat: engage professional help.

SD.
30th Mar 2017, 12:45
Have you been in contact with he guys at IALPA? I know the REPA forum is dead now, but they may be able to assist you.

I'm assuming you are on a newer contract and have your books done by one of the 'approved' accountants that BRK suggest? If so, direct the HMRC to them.

Unfortunately, the poor guy is picked on, as opposed to the offices in Epsom and Dublin.:mad:

Jwscud
30th Mar 2017, 14:43
I was advised a few years back by my accountants (O'Connor) that UK based British citizens should switch to PAYE and U.K. tax/NI and not Irish. I understood that this was in response to an HMRC threat of investigation. I have since left BRK for pastures new but my only correspondence with HMRC has been the usual minor adjustments based on tax paid at the time versus the annual return.

ExDubai
30th Mar 2017, 22:39

I'd have a chat with James Lee Philips from VC.

AgainstTheMachine
31st Mar 2017, 10:18
SD - thanks for the advice. I have been in touch with IALPA (I was a member whilst flying for Ryanair) and am waiting to hear back from them. Yes I was set up with the usual 'dodgy accountants / Brookfield' arrangement and I did pass HMRC onto them. They then passed details of all my pay and stopped taking my calls..... this was the obligatory accountant that I paid £15,000 to in fees over my time with Ryanair :mad:
You couldn't make this stuff up

EXDUBAI - appreciate that - I will get in touch.

Would welcome any advice from others too :*

OutsideCAS
1st Apr 2017, 20:47
https://www.theguardian.com/money/blog/2017/mar/11/now-we-should-go-after-companies-force-workers-self-employed

https://www.gov.uk/employment-status/worker