PDA

View Full Version : Lt.Gen Stepan Mikoyan

Genghis the Engineer
29th Mar 2017, 08:24
This might interest a few people, which just came to me by email from the Society of Experimental Test Pilots.

I actually met General Mikoyan a couple of times - struck me as a real gentleman - I can't speak for his flying, but the fact that he died in his bed aged 94 probably does.

G

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Last Flight of Lt Gen Stepan Mikoyan, SAF (Ret) (HF)
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 21:02:06 +0000
<snip>

The Society was saddened to learn of the “Last Flight” of Lt Gen Stepan Mikoyan, SAF (Ret) (HF) on 24 March 2017. Stepan was 94.

Stepan was born on July 12, 1922 in Tbilisi (Georgia). After graduating from the Kacha Air Force Fighter Pilot School in 1941, he flew combat missions against the Germans at the Moscow front. In November of 1941 he was shot down and crash landed his burning aircraft in a snowy forest, managing to crawl away from the wreckage before it exploded. He returned to combat duty at Stalingrad after several months of recuperation and finished the war as a highly decorated Captain.

In 1951 Stepan graduated from the Zhukovsky Air Force Engineering Academy. From 1951 until 1978, he served as an engineering test pilot with the Soviet Air Force Flight Test Institute. During his career, he flew over 3500 hours in 102 types of highly modified experimental aircraft., including primarily single-seat fighters as well as bombers, transports and a variety of helicopters. He flew stability and control, performance and flying qualities, radar, munitions, and avionics systems testing on numerous aircraft including the Mig 15, Mig 17, Mig 19, Mig 21, Mig 23, Mig 25, Mig 27, Su 15M, Su 24, Yak 28 and Mi-8 helicopter.

Some highlights of his accomplishments include first successful air-to-air missile engagements against drones, the development of vertical supersonic dive flight test techniques, actual approach and landing tests with simulated control failure, first flights with prototype space suits, he set both altitude and speed records and performed instrument landing tests in marginal weather.

In 1978 he was named Deputy Chief Designer in charge of flight test at the Research Production Unit “Molniya,” which designed the Soviet Space Shuttle Buran.

Stepan was a distinguished World War II fighter pilot and a famous Soviet test pilot. He was awarded the title of Honored Test Pilot of the USSR in 1964 and Hero of the Soviet Union (highest national award) in 1978. He was inducted as an SETP Honorary Fellow in 1997.

megan
29th Mar 2017, 17:51
Any relation to Artem Mikoyan of MIG fame?

Genghis the Engineer
29th Mar 2017, 18:13
Not that's ever been mentioned to me.

G

DaveReidUK
29th Mar 2017, 19:16

Yes, he was his nephew.

megan
29th Mar 2017, 21:09
Thanks Dave. Would love to see your library, your knowledge is of encyclopaedic proportions. :ok:

Mechta
9th Apr 2017, 14:59
Quote:
Originally Posted by megan http://www.pprune.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/592837-lt-gen-stepan-mikoyan.html#post9723219)

Yes, he was his nephew.

Stepan was one of the five sons of Anastas Mikoyan, elder brother of Artem. Anastas was a leading Bolshevik, a close compatriot of Stalin and one of the few people willing to argue with him.

Stepan published an autobiography in 1999.