View Full Version : Interview with Cathay Pacific

SkyCruiser
10th Jul 2002, 13:32
Hello

Before you all slag off this post, I am aware of the ban and the anti cathay posts but I am just asking in a nice manor if anyone has some advice on the content and style of interviews(INFO ONLY)
Any worth while post will be most welcomed.

Thanks.:cool:

Minima
17th Jul 2002, 09:42
Have u got yourself an interview yet.Date/Venue etc?

SkyCruiser
18th Jul 2002, 09:26
Yep, August and in Paris.
How about yourself?

Minima
18th Jul 2002, 12:04
yup!Same as you in Paris on 15 August.Email me any info such as hotel rates etc.Will do the same myself!

shortly
18th Jul 2002, 13:05
Initial interviews are invariably quite relaxed. Obviously you will be probed in areas relating to your background and technical knowledge. Interviewers will be trying to assess your capacity to absorb our unique training system lol and to fit in in Hong Kong. If you are married or have significant partner then their ability to settle in Honkers will also be looked at. Doubt that the 'dispute' will be an issue, I probably wouldn't push that one yourself either. Your decision to join or not can be made later. When you come to Hong Kong there is the usual proliferation of tests/medicals to endure and a cocktail party. Simulator used is the Classic 747 and quite a nice one it is too. If you are looking at Cathay mainline and not freighters then your partners will also be invited to Honkers for final interview. That is the time to get the feel for yourself on the atmosphere in relation to the dispute. CX is still a great company and operates great equipment. Hong Kong is a blast the most fun place you can be in standing up. Good luck to you all.

mole
18th Jul 2002, 14:29
Shorty,

Exactly who the hell are you?

6feetunder
18th Jul 2002, 14:32
Great company????!!!!! Yikes!

shortly
18th Jul 2002, 16:02
Of course it's a great company guys - be real. It's not perfect by any means but then again neither are any of us. The proof of my statement is encapsulated in the bottom line, what other totally privately run airline can compete with 50 odd years of staggering profits? One petty cash loss - and that was an accounting sleight of hand. Amazing in our industry. Tremendous on board service, best aircrew body bar none, very up to date equipment, sure there are issues in relation to personnel management, particularly regarding aircrew. Be fair in that regard, however, haven't both parties in the dispute been playing a self centred game? And, haven't we grown from a tiddler on the world stage to at the very least a good sized minnow, all in a few years. In any organisation/business which grows too rapidly there are inevitably communication breakdowns and business practice within the organisation in question is often found wanting. I am no stooge of management Mole if that is your question but I am at least prepared to give credit where it is due. I'm a little teapot short and stout lol.

SkyCruiser
18th Jul 2002, 19:24
Cheers shortly, I had better get stuck into those books!

:D

ironbutt57
18th Jul 2002, 20:46
6feet under...if it's so bad, why hide your feelings here like a coward, let the folks who count know....maybe it will be an even 50 then.....if it's so bad vote with your feet, not your mouth....behind the back......

6feetunder
18th Jul 2002, 22:36
I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours...

shortly
19th Jul 2002, 01:07
Good one 6feet under, can I join the party and I'll show mine as well. Mine will be the broadest lol.

middle
19th Jul 2002, 01:18
Cathay Pacific Airways is many things. A great company it is not.

shortly
19th Jul 2002, 01:29
Middle, I am always saddened when I see logic subsumed by emotion.

kellykelpie
19th Jul 2002, 01:51
You're a good bloke shortly.

collar
19th Jul 2002, 06:15
congrats to all...

skycruiser and the like, am interested to know what your experience levels are.... hours, type etc

regards

SkyCruiser
19th Jul 2002, 09:00
Collar,

2000 hours, 1200 turbine, EFIS,FMS etc.

411A
19th Jul 2002, 10:50
Wonder if it is the intension of CX management to completely replace the AOA malcontents? From the looks of the situation, they would have no problem at all to attract DE Captains and First Officers...in todays market, easily done. All they would need is a dedicated (non-AOA) training staff.;) ;)

BlueEagle
19th Jul 2002, 11:18
411A Please, go and do something useful!;)

Shoving sticks into ants nests is a much sought after position here on Fragrant Harbour and with their AOA elections due within a couple of weeks feelings are running high.

How about we let things run their natural course for now? (please).

Plenty of time to roll grenades in at a later date. If you are reading this, that goes for you too Ironbutt57, (one who has never been known to miss an opportunity to rough things up!).

It may not be a season of goodwill yet, but a bit of peace on earth would help.

Thank you all.

BlueEagle - Moderator.

ironbutt57
19th Jul 2002, 13:44
?????:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: they should be, after all the ridiculous rubbish they post regarding new-hires......

shortly
19th Jul 2002, 13:54
Good one blue eagle you are quite right. There is a place for reasoned debate and here is ok for that but not for nastiness and vitriol. Surely we all want the situation at Cathay to settle down. It will take a long time for the confidence in each other to return anyway so for those with ulterior motives who only want to deepen the crisis I say one thing, ****** off.

411A
19th Jul 2002, 15:29
Blue Eagle
AOA elections due in two weeks, you say? Certainly hope that more reasoned leaders are voted in...if not then the future industrial relations at CX would indeed head for the basement.
As the company holds ALL the face cards in this poker game, they have absolutely nothing to loose.

shortly
19th Jul 2002, 16:10
411A, no they don't. The aircrew work force at CX has endured years of non-negotiation. They are frustrated and hamstrung by draconian anti labour legislation here. What is needed is experienced guys like you and me to help salve the wounds not open them further. There are a lot of ulterior motives being expounded here, don't be part of it old correspondent mate. Show your true reasonable nature and help, don't add to the problem. Why would you want either the AOA or CX to fail - I don't. We pilots are a great bunch, cmon lets rally around not seperate. You, or I, may not agree with the strategies of the AOA management but they represent the pilot body at CX and must be given the opportunty for a dignified step down and that will not be easy.

Al E. Vator
19th Jul 2002, 23:52
411A ...haveyou been up to CX Recruitment to see the work they are putting in to recruiting locals (or trying)? Looking forward to you retracting your statements.

BTW, How is the airline coming along? Is it still Tri Stars flying cargo out of Hong Kong? Lovely aircraft. Will be nice to see them again. How will CX support your Tri Star cargo operation? I understand they are to also fly A300's on cargo flights with DHL?

411A
20th Jul 2002, 01:39
Not HKG Al, slightly more southeast about 500 nautical...and yes coming along nicely, thanks.

HotDog
20th Jul 2002, 08:42
I wonder why 411A and Ironbutt have adopted Fragrant Harbour to stir the sh!t. Neither of them have any connections to the venue. Why don't they try D&G for example, to see themselves in print and hear their own voices. Those guys downunder would make mincemeat out of them in no time! I guess I've just answered my own question.:rolleyes:

ironbutt57
20th Jul 2002, 10:43
Try again there HotDog...intestine stuffed full of rubbish..(that IS what a hotdog is).....been there, won that.. flew with enough of them to hear the story,(over and over again and again) and just how full of holes the whole situation was...least they had the cajones to vote with their feet... anyway, wrong forum, different subject...we need a "pick a fight" forum...boy wouldn't that be a good one:D :D :D anyway not stirring anything, simply posing an opposing view to some of those presented on this forum regarding the recruitment ban....:cool: :cool: :cool:

power lever
20th Jul 2002, 13:09
Any chance of someone answering the question that was posted.

jumpseat
21st Jul 2002, 02:24
Name-calling, always a vital part of intelligent debate. Nice one IB57. Keep it coming. Please don't edit his posts BLue E. It's nice to observe our critics at work. I'm sure it must bring great comfort to Cathay Management that posters like IB57 are sympathetic to their cause, and I know it brings great pain to the AOA that he isn't on our team:D

Ignorance of the issues will unfortunately always be a hindrance to anyone trying to take part in the debate, for those not actually involved in the dispute. IB57 brings this point to the fore frequently

Similarly 411A, who calls anyone not happy with the constant contract abuse at CX an "AOA Malcontent" mmm. The vast majority of the CX workforce are "malcontent" 411. Not just the AOA. The Gate agents, Station managers (particularly in N. America & Europe), Flight attendants, Engineers, just about the whole company are malcontents. The AOA doesn't have a monopoly on that particular label. Senior managers are leaving Cathay. One particularly nice senior manager chappie, a malcontent, (last heard of in the Purchasing dept) has just departed to Emirates. Purchasing managers don't have seniority issues so it's easy to depart if they are "malcontents". ("I dont like running this department at CX so I'll go and run the Airline X dept instead") Pilots unfortunately tend to have to put their roots down at one particular airline because of the seniority system. If they feel the need for rebellion as a result of their contract being abused they are entirely entitled to show their discontent. The "if you don't like it shut up or leave" type approach doesn't apply here. I wish it did!
Again like IB57 your second to last post unfortunately is made without the benefit of an intimate knowledge of the issues. I can understand your ignorance of course as your attention is spread thinly over just about every issue being debated throughout the Pprune community. It is however terribly amusing to actually see how an airline executives' mind works. Thank you for that insight.

An interesting read in PDF format. Download and read at your leisure (http://bbs.hkalpa.org/public/information/Public%20Newsletters/BTLs/49er%20Special.pdf)

HotDog
21st Jul 2002, 02:51
Ironbut57, what sublime wit! What infinite charm. I'm sure your mother loves you so why don't you just go back to your sandbox and play?:rolleyes:

shortly
21st Jul 2002, 08:21
Dear power lever, I did try to answer the query. I think that's what dragged in the red herring boys/gals (who knows).

Speedlever
2nd Aug 2002, 08:27
1st interview, expect a lot of personal questions and a few tech questions. The tech I was asked are:

Explain MRC/LRC
What are the corrections to IAS/CAS/EAS/TAS
How does an Air cycle machine work
How is a super critical wing "better" than a conventional wing
What does cost index mean

That was it, over in about 40 minutes and like I said, heaps of personal. Sugest you get a copy of captains XYZ and Kermode, mechanics of flight. Read as much as you can and ask as many questions as you can. You can't know enough.

Irionbutt57, saddened by the loss of your colleagues, it was a sad day for everyone in aviation.

SkyCruiser
3rd Aug 2002, 13:02
Nice one SpeedL

Great bit of advice.