PDA

View Full Version : Big career decision ahead: Turboprop or Jet

Pugachev Cobra
25th Mar 2017, 14:16
Hello PPRuNers! I've seen some threads about this from many years ago, and though they gave me a good insight, they didn't reflected exactly where I'm at currently.

I work as a FO in a regional jet at a fast growing airline with many narrowbodies expected to arrive in the coming years. After almost 6 years and over 3000+ hours, they have offered me some equipment changes, to a widebody on mostly international long haul, to a bigger narrowbody, all of which I didn't take, so I don't get locked in the equipment and lose command promotion.

Now the day has come where they have offered me Command on their smaller aircraft type, a regional turboprop.

First and foremost, my first end goal when I started on this job was to get command on the regional jet.

My options are, accept the command upgrade offer on the turboprop, and get some maybe 4 years there before they can put me on the jet LHS. Or wait in the RHS in the jet for *MAYBE* some last minute demand from the company where they will need an urgent command on my type.

In the past they've done this, even though the normal career path was to take command on the turboprop, or wait until your buddies that accepted the TP PIC come back to the jet, then they'll offer the jet to you too.

But currently since a lot of the TP Capts are unhappy being bypassed while jet FO's get the upgrade on the jet, management has said they're not gonna do it again. And yet, years before, they said the same thing, and it did happen.

I've seen the older captains repeating the same old rule "Never turn down command. Once a captain, always a captain." etc. And I've read about how that worked 20 years ago, but today is different, since jet time is all that matters.

Thing is, I have that many jet experience, and I honestly don't know if by accepting the TP PIC and getting stuck there for many years, if bad things happen or I want to change my employers, if my jet time will still count, or only if recent experience counts. Currently I like my employer, and don't see myself switching to another in the future.

So, it's a long post already and I'm gonna wrap it up. Basically, I don't know if I'll be happy in the TP, I don't like the TP type even though never flew it, but since this decision will affect my next ~5 years, I'm losing my sleep over it. The type I currently fly was the workhorse of the early years but the fleet is expected to shrink a bit, being replaced by bigger narrowbodies. The turboprop fleet will remain unchanged and small it seems.

I don't currently need the added pay (which is not much), and I can afford to wait in the jet RHS to see how things pan out. But currently there is no sight in the horizon as to if the command direct on the jet will ever happen soon. And economy can go bad and the promotions can stop, and I will still be stuck in the jet RHS.

Thank you all!

speedrestriction
25th Mar 2017, 18:53
You will learn a lot more in the left seat of a TP than you will doing more of what you already do. Command is enjoyable, TP command is a blast but harder work than right seat jet. Only you can answer the question and to come up with a sensible answer you need to clearly define your own priorities. The risk of left seat TP is that generally there are fewer job opportunities from reputable employers compared to narrowbody jets.

If I was happy with employer and didn't foresee a risk of redundancy in the TP and had prospects of moving back onto a jet in the left seat without having to wait more than 7 or 8 years I would definitely take the command.

If I was thinking of moving company, was unsure about the company finances or could be stuck for 30 years on the TP I would be a bit more cautious.

RAFAT
26th Mar 2017, 04:25
The Company have stated that, whilst it might have happened in the past, they're not going to bypass TP Captains in favour of jet F/Os when it comes around to filling jet Command positions. Therefore, at this moment in time, that must factor into your decision.

Secondly, will you have a Command or type-rating bond on the TP? That would only really be a factor if you were planning to leave in the next couple of years.

If you leave the jet behind temporarily to take the TP Command your jet time will always be there and valid, although some airlines have, in the past, discounted jet time on types such as the CRJ-200 and Emb 135/145.

Based on experience and decisions I've made in the past, I would recommend taking anything that's offered. Don't try and think about next week, next month or next year in your current Company because the big picture will have changed many times by then.

IMHO - take the TP Command, you'll enjoy the experience.

Flocks
26th Mar 2017, 08:17
Hello.

I m more or less in the same position. Working from a Big europeen Airline with dash 8 and E-jet. I ve just been offered left Seat in the dash 8, starting training end of April. Bonded for 2 year. I Said yes, because T/C are quit good, with lots of improvement lately (max 750hr a year and same salary for jet/tp cpt in a year)
I m just worried to be stuck on the dash 8 or to have to back as junior FO if I change airline (I know some cpt with hours of dash, been offered junior fo position in some airline...). To go back on the jet, it ll take me, minimum 5/6 years ...
I thought to maybe move on bigger jet right seat asap than wait too much om the dash 8... i m little bit lost ...

Supernumerary
26th Mar 2017, 08:42
Long story short:
Take RH on the bigger jet! I opted for TP command years ago and on the long run the hours are worthless.
True - TP is great for building skills and experience, but what counts in the end are MTOM, jet and maybe longhaul experience, depending on where you want to take your career.
If we are talking about the carrier with the homebase that didn't get the third rwy approved recently, feel free to pm me in Muttersprache ;)

Smokie
26th Mar 2017, 22:57
Keep RHS in Jet, worth far far more, as previously mentioned MTOM counts for more these days, if I had taken LHS TP I would never have got on to the 320. Jet time was what was required and at the time I was in a similar position but glad I stayed on the Jet.

RAFAT
27th Mar 2017, 00:13
Supernumery - the OP stated that he turned down the bigger jet previously so it's not an option for him now.

Smokie - we don't know the types the OP is currently flying or has been offered but he states his current type as a "regional jet". An Embraer 145 is 22,000 - 24,000kgs whereas as DHC8-400 is just under 30,000kgs, so how does that fit with your MTOM argument?

As I said in my post above, some airlines don't value regional jet time.

lederhosen
27th Mar 2017, 07:04
If you want to improve your options then widebody rhs is a no brainer. It will also help at a later stage in your career if that is where you want to end up as a captain. The turboprop is by all accounts not always straightforward and changing aircraft type and upgrading at the same time adds to the risk. If you work for the company with the red colour scheme I suspect there will also be other opportunities in the non too distant future.

Pugachev Cobra
27th Mar 2017, 13:32
Thank you all for the input, greatly appreciated.

The TP in question is the ATR 72, and my current type is the E190, >50t MTOM.

In the end, at the same time you worry about getting stuck with TP's, you also worry about making a career just in the RHS.

Smokie
28th Mar 2017, 00:22
RAFAT,
Up until the last post the types were never mentioned...
I still stand by my original and it would seem others also agree with me.

RAFAT
28th Mar 2017, 01:41
Smokie - indeed, but we now know.

PC - Based on the types you've mentioned I wouldn't classify the E190 a "Regional Jet", those types tend to be in the 20 - 30t bracket; so based on that information I would recommend staying on the Embraer, it's a very nice type to fly, unlike the awful ATR. The upside is that it's a good type should you wish to move on and the downside, but only within your own company, is that you won't be considered for Command ahead of TP Captains as they stated, but you never know, things can change quickly.

However, I do still firmly stand by what I said originally in that, based on mine and many of my colleagues' experiences, the guys and gals that tend to do better are those that accept anything that is offered to them.

BluSdUp
9th Apr 2017, 16:17
Pugachev

You are never going to get Command of anything.
You are not even in command of your own career, in a large company , serving you this and that fat dish.
Your attitude is that of a lazy FO these days, and I fly with them every second day. I can spot you a mile away.
Take command, be the king.

Have You ever considered the fact the Company have a plan for you and a system to weed out the useless.

You are afraid of failing command on the TP you dont like. Thats is it, is it not.
Afraid of a challenge.
Why are You here?

Now go and prove me wrong.

Calmcavok
9th Apr 2017, 19:32
If you want career options, take the Jet FO position.

If you want to stay in your company take command as early as possible even if on a TP.

Piltdown Man
9th Apr 2017, 19:46
The view is better from the LHS. You can set the agenda every day and enjoy your job. You'll learn a terrific amount and you will be able to hop straight back into the seat of a jet as and when a position becomes available. If you wish. And contrary to popular belief, the important bits of your body are no smaller if you fly a TP. It is command time that counts.

Intrance
9th Apr 2017, 20:18
Depending on the prop, your hearing might suffer a bit though :P.

I faced a choice of TP command (< 10t) or jet FO (> 30t) and for me it was quite easy. It's a bit different in your situation but I might face it sometime in the near future as well. Current company is getting modern turboprops and will probably first offer LHS on those instead of LHS of my current jet type... I would not like to go back to turboprop. Did that for some hard years, learned a lot, paid my dues so to speak and worked to get a step up the ladder.

And regardless of type, turboprop time is still a bit undervalued by HR departments in my experience. Companies having a plan for you is a glass half full way of looking at it. The glass half empty way is that they just have seats to fill and who ever bites the bait might be stuck for the foreseeable future. Seen it both ways and it depends on the quality of your company so no one can really make that choice but you.

JetpoweredMigrantWkr
24th Apr 2017, 12:49
Take the Jet every time, unless you're older and it's a quality of life scenario.
Good luck!

Trossie
24th Apr 2017, 18:09
The first time that someone has mentioned quality of life. That should come first every time!

Langata
4th May 2017, 08:09
Cobra - as you can see, lots of different responses - all correct from the individual's point of view. Only YOU can make the decision. so it all depends on your own circumstances - are you young/old, married/single, kids/kidless? etc etc. Make a decision that you think works best for you - accept it as the best decision based on info available to you - then get on with it.

Personal development vs lifestyle choice - all depends on your age and life goals.

Kim Jong Il
4th May 2017, 12:19
I think whatever you choose is the right choice. If you like the employer that is. Worst case scenario is that you don't like the TP an you're stuck on it for 5 years. Maybe you like it. I would've chosen FO on the widebody doing LH. Anyway, change is good! Good luck