PDA

View Full Version : 'Jim Crow' Fighters

Finningley Boy
24th Mar 2017, 08:53
I was wondering if anyone on pprune had come across the title of this thread before? The reason I ask is that while researching all-weather fighter operations over the last year or so, and having checked my text, I find the term is there in the context of a fighter being used as a shepherd in lieu of AEW services. I do recall coming across the term but would like to verify whether anyone can confirm I'm on the right track only I can't seem to identify the archive file that I originally got it from.:confused:

Any light anyone can throw on the subject would be most welcome.

Best Regards,

FB:)

ORAC
24th Mar 2017, 09:03
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_RAF_code_names

Jim Crow – coastal patrols to intercept enemy aircraft crossing the British coastline; originally intended to warn of invasion in 1940.[1]

Google Jim Crow the history of 91 Sqn.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nigeria-Sqn-Aviation-Elite-Units/dp/1841761605

Also referenced elsewhere - e.g.

http://www.152hyderabad.co.uk/html/history.html

"A week later a section of the squadron shot down its first Japanese aircraft, a “Dinah”. However, nothing more happened until the squadron moved to the front where it flew “Jim Crow” sorties to the Akyab airfields and flew sweeps which developed into armed raids.".

Finningley Boy
24th Mar 2017, 09:24
Many thanks Orac, this is quite reassuring, for although I'm certain I noted the term from official records, in air defence related matters, without being able to refer back or cross-check left me a tad concerned abut publishing without an identifiable source. This certainly fits, albeit a maritime role, into what I've written about 'Jim Crow' Fighters in all-weather air defence ops.

polecat2
24th Mar 2017, 21:12
Finningley Boy

FWIW I recall reading a book many, many years ago (ie 50+ yrs) by a French author abut the WW2 exploits of notable (mainly French) airmen. One of the chapters therein was titled "Jean-Paul Maridor and the Jim Crow Squadron".
I checked in my copy of "Aces High" and sure enough J-P Maridor did serve on 91 Squadron.
I am pretty certain the book was called "Born to Fly" by Georges Blond.
It was a long time ago and this is stretching my long-term memory to the limits but I send this message in the hope it may be useful to you.

Polecat

MAINJAFAD
25th Mar 2017, 00:12
Coltishall's F540's from July 1942 onwards record launch and recovery of a pair of Mustangs forward based from other units on a daily basis as sea reconnaissance missions, normally along the Dutch Coast. At least one of these missions was referred to as a 'Jim Crow' in the station ORB. From 1944 onwards, almost all of the 2 Aircraft shipping reece missions flown over the Dutch Coast were referred to as Jim Crows, normally done by the Station's Mustangs or occasionally Spitfires from it's satellites.

Finningley Boy
25th Mar 2017, 00:50
polecat2 and Mainjafad,

Many Thanks for your references, what caused me to self doubt in the first place was the original meaning of 'Jim Crow' in America, and I couldn't for the life in me find any connection with it and the choice of this term as a reference to forward early warning in any form of operations. But you've given me reassurance to keep the reference in the book.

Best Regards,

ORAC
25th Mar 2017, 06:39
MAINJAFAD, see here (https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=yDy3CwAAQBAJ&pg=PA26&lpg=PA26&dq=jim+crow+cape+griz+le+havre++patrol&source=bl&ots=FBRcmfFI3t&sig=ML7UW-8Oh4TJynYj1z71RqwGok8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjk_redg_HSAhVGKMAKHY2OBcIQ6AEIGjAA#v=onepage&q=jim%20crow%20cape%20griz%20le%20havre%20%20patrol&f=false), page 26.

Night Hudson patrols on 3 lines - "Stopper", "Line South-East" and "Habo"; followed after sunrise by the "Jim Crow" patrol.

"Each day a "Jim Crow" Spitfire took off to scan the Channel eastward from Cape Griz New to Flushing, whilst another aircraft flew the opposite direction to search westward from Cape Griz New to Le Havre. They were seeking likely targets for further operations later in the day by cannon firing fighters and Hurricane bombers".

I presume Mustangs Sqns just took their turn in the orbat and it would seem each Group had its own section of French, Belgian, Dutch, Danish coast.

See here (http://www.wingleader.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/303-SquadronVOL3samplepages1.pdf) also in the foot notes to 9th March. It seems increasingly likely that the code word reefers to what is now termed "Armed Recce"

"Opposite page: In the background of this scene shot at Coltishall during the photo session on 24 January is Spit re F.IX BS281 RF-C. On 9 March 1945 Wing Commander Jan Falkowski ew it on a Jim Crow operation over Holland when it was hit by ak and caught re. He baled out south of the Hague, and subsequently stayed in hiding among the Dutch until the war ended.."

MAINJAFAD
25th Mar 2017, 12:09
ORAC

All I've used is the Coltishall F540's I've photographed at Kew around 12 years ago. The 1940 / 41 sheets were lacking a lot of details and it was only from early 1942 that a large amount of detail started to be added to what operations were carried out. I remembered that the Mustangs that were detached to Coltishall in 1942/3 (the squadrons from which were part of Army Cooperation Command at the time) were employed purely for shipping reconnaissance missions off the Dutch coast (they were the first Mustangs to operate from the station) and that one of the entries for a visit from the mustangs of 268 Sqn that listed the mission as a Jim Crow. Having had a dig through the photos, it is clear that the Sector's LR Spitfire units also did the Jim Crow sorties in 1942, normally in a section of 4 from the Hook of Holland to IJmuiden. The Mustangs longer range allowed the search to be extended to the island of Terschellling. The loss of Jan Falkowski's Spitfire on the 9th March 1945 is covered in some detail, the mission was listed as a combined Jim Crow / Armed Recce which was an initial shipping reconnaissance in the Dan Helder area, followed by an inland penetration to attack anything they saw in the area of the Hague. They attacked targets in the Hague, where Falkowski's Spitfire had its engine cooling system damaged by flak. 20 miles off the Dutch coast it was noted that Falkowski's Spitfire was leaking Glycol and the formation turned back towards Holland with the hope of being able to reach one of the ALG's south of the Rhine, which didn't happen as the engine cooked and then caught fire at which point he baled out. The rest of the section landed at Ursel, refueled and flew back to Colt. The Jim Crows and Armed Recces were normally listed as two different types of mission with their last Jim Crow being flown by 603 Sqn in mid April 1945.

TheWestCoast
26th Mar 2017, 18:37
Is there any reason why the name "Jim Crow" was used for this, because it has a whole different meaning in the United States.

ORAC
26th Mar 2017, 18:45
Only person I know who might be able to answer that question would be Danny42C.

ValMORNA
26th Mar 2017, 19:40
In the countryside it is not unknown for carrion crows to swoop in and attack magpies in their nests as they are natural aggressors. Such attacks can be carried out on a daily basis, especially in the Spring when food may be limited but families are liable to become larger. This may be the origin of 'Jim Crow' hit-and-run tactics, seek-and-destroy. My died-in-the-wool-countryman late Father-in-Law had various names for many common animal and avian creatures which may well have included 'Jim' for this corvid.

ORAC
26th Mar 2017, 20:43
TheWestCoast,

As much as I can find.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/3vigh3/what_is_the_origin_of_the_nickname_jim_crows_for/

riff_raff
28th Mar 2017, 04:29
The term "Jim Crow" originated from a 19th century folk song popular in the southeastern US called "Jump Jim Crow". When Democrat President Woodrow Wilson imposed his segregation policies in the early 20th century, they became known as "Jim Crow" laws in the US. Long before the term was first used by the RAF.

MAINJAFAD
29th Mar 2017, 01:23
The term "Jim Crow" originated from a 19th century folk song popular in the southeastern US called "Jump Jim Crow". When Democrat President Woodrow Wilson imposed his segregation policies in the early 20th century, they became known as "Jim Crow" laws in the US. Long before the term was first used by the RAF.

It appears that the song was known about in Britain from a stage act during the mid 1800's. The lyrics on the link kind of sum up the mission. Stooge around the edge of enemy territory counting ships and don't actually do (attack) anything on a daily basis. It the only link that I can think of between the two.

Was Jim Crow a real person? - Ask History (http://www.history.com/news/ask-history/was-jim-crow-a-real-person)