PDA

View Full Version : Lockheed pitched C-5B as EC-5B 'Looking GLass'

chopper2004
22nd Mar 2017, 21:02
Lockheed Once Pitched the Massive C-5 as a Flying Command Center - The Drive (http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/8509/lockheed-once-pitched-the-massive-c-5-as-a-flying-command-center)

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g209/longranger/imagesvc.timeincapp.com_zpslnoba6qn.jpg

sandiego89
23rd Mar 2017, 00:17
Interesting chopper, thanks for posting. I have a soft spot for the C-5, neat aircraft.

Old Fella
23rd Mar 2017, 04:36
Interesting chopper, thanks for posting. I have a soft spot for the C-5, neat aircraft.

She will be around for quite a while. The C5-M is the latest upgraded version with much greater capability than the original offering.

galaxy flyer
23rd Mar 2017, 13:43
It was also pitched as a ballistic missile launch "site". It had terrain following/avoidance radar, too.

GF

ORAC
23rd Mar 2017, 14:38
8b8LLcdBaQc

Airbubba
23rd Mar 2017, 15:16
Looks like Boeing kept the Looking Glass mission for years to come with the Navy E-6B.

The Ironmen of VQ-3 recently terrified the news media in Denver :eek: when they did a little training while coming back from the West Coast:

Mystery flight circles over Denver; Officials have few answers - 7NEWS Denver TheDenverChannel.com (http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/mystery-flight-circles-over-denver-officials-have-few-answers)

In the article above we are given this insight into the secret mission:

When looking into IRON99, it appeared the flight had only communicated with the U.S. Army, and had no public communications available, as many commercial flights often do.

I'd say the 707 variants are up there with Lockheed's C-130 for longevity in military service.

From the article linked in the first post on this thread, it's already time to start thinking about the E-6B's projected end of service two decades from now:

“We’re only 20 years from 2038, but if you’re going to build large aircraft with huge command and control you need to start thinking about those things right now,”

It was also pitched as a ballistic missile launch "site".

The Minuteman launch from a C-5 was often referred to as a 'poker chip' for the SALT II talks. By design, the missile didn't go ballistic and plopped into the sea a few miles away.

sandiego89
23rd Mar 2017, 16:26
I have had the pleasure of being in the C-5 at the museum at Dover- the actual aircraft that launched the minuteman that ORAC linked in the video above. Only C-5 currently on display and has been restored to her delivery scheme- the best scheme the plane has seen IMO. Great museum.

Heathrow Harry
23rd Mar 2017, 17:38
IIRC Lockheed pitched it for every role including replacing Routemaster buses on London's roads..............

But the other versiosn weren't very attractive - it was very big and very expensive

PPRuNe Towers
23rd Mar 2017, 18:12
Not just a great museum at Dover but kudos to all the superb volunteer docents - truly helpful and knowledgable. Many also fly the home made space shuttle sim superbly.

Rob

Davef68
24th Mar 2017, 10:29
From the article linked in the first post on this thread, it's already time to start thinking about the E-6B's projected end of service two decades from now:

Time to resurrect the E-10? Or maybe the reason for all that extra wiring in the KC-46.

tdracer
25th Mar 2017, 00:48
Time to resurrect the E-10? Or maybe the reason for all that extra wiring in the KC-46.
Or it might explain some of the 'gold plating' the USAF wants on the Air Force One replacement aircraft - hide the development costs...