PDA

View Full Version : General Aircraft Ltd and Angelo Colarossi

DeepestSouth
21st Mar 2017, 18:22
A bit of an obscure question and no reason for asking it other than curiosity!

The model for the statue of Eros (actually Anteros) in Piccadilly Circus was a young man called Angelo Colarossi. Researching something unrelated I read that he later worked for an aircraft company in Feltham during WWII. I think that this must have been GAL but I can find no mention of what he did.

Do any PPruners know what he did?

Mechta
21st Mar 2017, 22:06
Looking Back: Eros statue's links with Feltham - Get West London (http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/lifestyle/nostalgia/looking-back-eros-statues-links-5966551)

DeepestSouth, it looks like you are right. Mechta Senior completed his apprenticeship at General Aircraft, having moved there when Short Brothers moved from Rochester to Belfast. I'll ask him if the name is familiar, but the likelihood is that Mr Colarossi had retired by 1948 as he would have been seventy three by then. Having said that, if his colleagues knew that he had modelled for the statue of Eros, he may have been a bit of a legend around the company.

Planemike
21st Mar 2017, 22:46
The statue of Eros is made of aluminium which possibly suggests an aviation connection.