PDA

View Full Version : Flying when Light

CRAN
20th Mar 2017, 16:40
Chaps,

We all well understand the risks of flying 2-bladed helicopters when they are very light, i.e. pilot only and minimum fuel, particularly those from a popular manufacturer.

Can any of the guys out there with experience of either the EC120 or the As350 range provide any feedback on the difficulties or general flight manners of these larger, 3-bladed machines when they are very light, i.e just the pilot and minimum fuel onboard.

Thanks in advance.

CRAN
:ok:

Sir Korsky
20th Mar 2017, 17:24
Just to add some fuel to the post, I'm sure many 76 drivers will attest to being light, no pax, low fuel and the sudden bouncy and rattly ride that seems to just spring out of nowhere, especially in the decent back to the airfield.:ok:

Efirmovich
20th Mar 2017, 18:33
I had a 120 for many years and now a 350 and have flown both aircraft solo in near gale force winds and relatively little fuel with no problem apart from the old butt clinching occasionally but the 350 is by far a superior machine for stability especially if the wind is across the tail as the 120 presents a very big tail area which makes the work load greater .
Flew all over Europe and had some amazing fun in Robinsons but would be reluctant to get in another.

E. :ok:

John R81
20th Mar 2017, 18:43
The 120 is no problem when light as to handling, even in high wind. You do need fast feet taxiing in a crosswind, but you have to be quite quick in those conditions even when heavy.

Just ensure that you have at least the minimum weight in the pilot to be within fwd c of g. I am 90kg and solo, light fuel at 115 Knt there 'ain't a lot of fwd cyclic left. Some, but not much

nellycopter
21st Mar 2017, 05:49
Eat more pies John....:)

krypton_john
22nd Mar 2017, 00:10
Eat more pies John....:)

Yep. Been a long time since I worried about being too light!

John R81
22nd Mar 2017, 17:58
Yep. Been a long time since I worried about being too light!

What's worse, my daughter needs a sandbag to get up to minimum weight 😩😫😩