PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair accident at Ciampino

Meikleour
18th Mar 2017, 11:13
Does anyone know if a formal report by the Italian authorities has been completed and published for this serious aircraft incident which resulted in a writeoff? A considerable number of years have passed and the conclusions would be interesting to read.

noflynomore
18th Mar 2017, 22:17
I'm intrigued at the possible differences between a "serious aircraft writeoff" (sic) and a lighthearted one.

Additionally, how is one writeoff more or less "serious" than another?

Aren't all writeoffs "serious", by definition?

Piltdown Man
21st Mar 2017, 12:40
Which one? The roll-back in 2014 or the bird strike in 2008?

PM

LookingForAJob
21st Mar 2017, 19:55
I'm intrigued at the possible differences between a "serious aircraft writeoff" (sic) and a lighthearted one.Not quite what was proposed. I'm more inclined to imagine that the poster was seeking to make clear that it was classified as a serious incident and thus falls withing the scope of ICAO Annex 13 and EU reg 996/2010.

Whilst I suspect that Meikleour already knows this, the ANSV website (http://www.ansv.it/It/Detail_relazioni.asp?ID=1090) refers to the event, and mentions that the results of the investigation are expected to be of international interest, but there appears to have been nothing further published.

skycruiser65
22nd Mar 2017, 16:12
There has been a cast in German TV 2 days ago, dealing about FR and itīs illegal practices throughout all Europe - Profit. Auf Kosten aller? ? Der gnadenlose Preiskampf der Billigairlines | Video zu Reportage & Dokumentation | Das Erste Mediathek (http://mediathek.daserste.de/Reportage-Dokumentation/Profit-Auf-Kosten-aller-Der-gnadenlo/Video?bcastId=799280&documentId=41668418). Itīs in German.
The event in CIA was mentioned as well as those in MAD/VLC (low fuel).
Obviously the TV journalists were citing from this report of the CIA event, were it sayīs, that the Captain should have better called in sick, as he lost his son a few days earlier, thus being completely traumatized.

Meikleour
22nd Mar 2017, 21:37
skycruiser65 (http://www.pprune.org/members/35282-skycruiser65): That was a different FR incident which was a diversion from Ciampino - the incident I am looking for is the multiple bird strike followed by a very hard landing at Ciampino.

Piltdown Man
23rd Mar 2017, 00:50
I'm sure the birdstrike one has been released. But to call that a hard landing doesn't fully acknowledge the crew's input. It was either that or a crash elsewhere. As some might say: "The boys done well". I shall have to have a poke about.

PM

Jwscud
23rd Mar 2017, 16:22
The bird strike report has never been released. The story when I was based down at Ciampino was that there were local political reasons for burying it and it would never see the light of day.

Ryanair I believe have all the FDR and CVR data and have drawn their own internal conclusions but...

Meikleour
24th Mar 2017, 09:14
Jwscud: Interesting...... however it is difficult to see how this report could be "buried" when there were significant other parties involved eg. Boeing and SNECMA whose reputations are also involved. Italian burcreascracy however is well known to be slow and ponderous. ICAO protocols would be difficult to avoid surely?
My own interest stems from a similar incident a few years earlier at Fiumicino. Same time of year when the usual bird migrations take place. During a take-off in an A340 we ingested 12 birds into two of the engines. Both engines suffered N1 fan damage but continued to deliver thrust, albeit somewhat reduced, which enabled a return landing to an overweight landing. For comparison, a normal landing uses ~ 50%N1 and we needed ~80%N1 Tough old engines which continued to run.