PDA

View Full Version : Question for BEA /BA BAC 1-11 and Trident avionics engineers

Mooncrest
17th Mar 2017, 20:33
I've picked up two or three old Amplivox Astrolite headsets in the last year or so. I think they're ex-BEA judging by the 'Bea' or 'Cea' lettering embossed on them (they also have 'W.R.721). Anyway, none of them have amplified microphones or carbon microphones which I thought was the standard for all civil aircraft.
Did these ex-BEA aircraft, or any others for that matter, have non-standard radios fitted, designed for use with ordinary dynamic or electromagnetic microphones ? Or have I got it wrong ?

Thankyou.

Wodrick
17th Mar 2017, 23:11
In days of old, when men were bold ..........
Seriously it depends. I used to work for Dan Air and the original 5 1-11s were from different sources. 2 were ex American Airlines (XCK & XCP) and had a Collins fit (618M-1) and needed Carbon mics. Two were ex British Eagle (TPJ & TPL) and had a Marconi fit (AD6400 if memory serves) and needed E.M mics the fifth was the infamous D-ANDY (ZED) and had the Collins fit too. So you see they were not non-standard just different radio fits. I imagine BEA being British would support British industry and have the Marconi fit.

Mooncrest
18th Mar 2017, 11:32
Thankyou for your explanation Wodrick. Interesting stuff.

condor17
18th Mar 2017, 12:04
Mooncrest , not an engineer ... But used Trident headsets for 12 years . Seem to remember there were a couple of types . One had a single metal piece over the top from left to right , the other had 2 overhead pieces , for and aft .
They all had Nato plugs . Have 2 of the 2 piece overhead types , converted to 2 plugs . They still work well for pax in the back of the school PA28s . Grey colour, squareish earpieces with a bright metal boom and about a 1'' square mic.
Have wx canx all todays lessons , so won't be able to find the make until I'm next up 't field .

rgds condor .

condor17
18th Mar 2017, 12:07
PS , a few years ago ; the radios in the the Trident nose at the De Havilland museum still worked when connected to a battery !

condor

Mooncrest
18th Mar 2017, 12:33
You're describing an Astrolite, Condor. First made by Amplivox, then Racal. I tried to attach a picture but no luck !

Mooncrest
19th Mar 2017, 13:51
These headsets were also used on the BEA/BA Viscount, TriStar and Concorde aircraft. Don't know the configuration though.

avionic type
27th Mar 2017, 19:01
o
Our engineer headsets [push backs ect] never had any amplification control in fact we had to stuff cotton wool in the ear cups to reduce the volume of the flight deck chatter it didn't half hurt at times.:confused::confused::confused:

Mooncrest
27th Mar 2017, 19:59
o
Our engineer headsets [push backs ect] never had any amplification control in fact we had to stuff cotton wool in the ear cups to reduce the volume of the flight deck chatter it didn't half hurt at times.:confused::confused::confused:

They've improved, thank goodness. We use Peltor at our company and they're quite robust and reliable. The Bluetooth ones aren't that good, IMO.

condor17
21st Apr 2017, 08:59
Mooncrest , sorry for lateness , been away .
Old Trident headset still functioning is an Astrolite , by Racl . Used it yesterday in a Cherokee .
Up in Highland div. on Bugies and Parrots , [ 748 s and ATPs ] we used Peltors due the prop noise .

rgds condor .

condor17
21st Apr 2017, 08:59
PS RACAL ..... condor