PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Cadetships

Brettg
10th Jul 2002, 01:02
Does anyone know anything about the Qantas pilot cadetships (much like BA)

buttline
10th Jul 2002, 06:02
Just a little as I was looking at BAE in Adelaide. Basically, you apply to Quantas, pass selection and you become a 'cadet'. But you have to pay for your own basic training (CASA CPL) yourself.

Talk to BAE in Adelaide, they know more...

Groundloop
10th Jul 2002, 09:57
If anyone is thinking of applying to QANTAS just make sure you spell it properly! It is all capitals with no 'Q'!

The Greaser
10th Jul 2002, 09:59
Groundloop - do you mean no 'U'

VFE
10th Jul 2002, 10:33
LOL. Lesson for the Spelling Cozzers there! :D

Groundloop
10th Jul 2002, 12:59
Oops! Removes foot from mouth!!! Yes, I did meam no 'U'!

AlphaCharlie
10th Jul 2002, 16:18
More info at:

http://www.qantas.com.au/info/about/employment/pilots

I can't find the very detailed page of info on QFs website (saw in a few months ago).

They are nothing like BAs. Firstly you must have Australian citizenship. Qantas select you, you pay for your own training, then you have to go away and do 18 months work experience. Once you've done all this and subject to current requirements you join QF as a Second Officer (as far as I recall).

Their website does say however, that they have the go ahead to run the scheme in 2003.

Ang737
11th Jul 2002, 10:50
I applied for the cadetship and didnt get it. I have heard from people inside that if you don't have a degree then foget it....

VRB03KT CAVOK
11th Jul 2002, 13:11
If you're not related to a QANTAS pilot you can also forget it.

Not bitter, honest...

lfalconer
11th Jul 2002, 17:42
I can definately say the last two comments are both false.

I personally know 5 previous qantas cadets who are all now second officers with Qantas. All 5 didn't have university degrees.

I also met the son of a Senior Qantas captain who applied for the cadetship last year.. he didn't pass either.

In terms of selection, I'm fairly certain that they're concerned with individual performance, aptitude and pyschological test results and leadership skills/experience.

My questions is: I hear Qantas get at least 500 applicants each year, where do these teenagers get $100,000 AUS from?

Good luck to all those who apply.

Regards,

Grivation
11th Jul 2002, 21:26
If you think Qantas are going to run a cadet programs when there are 400 odd ex-Ansett pilots sitting idle in Oz then you are having a lend of yourself!

Wedge
11th Jul 2002, 21:39
Good point Grivation ;)

If it is hard to become an airline pilot in Britain, it is much harder in the Southern Hemisphere. There have been rumours on here for years that you have to be 'family' to get the Qantas cadetship.

AlphaCharlie
11th Jul 2002, 21:56
Grivation,

Use the link in my post above to the QF website. The site definitely says that they are running a scheme in 2003.

oates
12th Jul 2002, 11:44
groundloop,
If you take a gander at the Qantas website, I think you'll find while all capitals QANTAS was originally technically correct, Qantas is the acceptable form.

Unless they got it wrong....:D

DOK001
29th Aug 2003, 09:46
As far as I have heard the benefits of being a Qantas Captain's son / daughter have been drastically reduced over the past few years. I believe QF is open to many more people these days......

I certainly hope so anyway....!