PDA

View Full Version : Runaway Aviation Security dog shot dead by police

Cralis
17th Mar 2017, 01:12
Quite unfortunate.

"Outrage is building over the killing of a trainee Airport Security Services dog, shot dead by police after it was spooked and escaped its handler at Auckland International Airport this morning, causing runway delays."

Dog shot dead at Auckland airport after escaping handler (http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/at-work/runaway-aviation-security-dog-shot-dead-by-police-after-holding-up-flights-at-auckland-airport/news-story/fff835030ded0e47e198cc2cdc9a8156)

Would this have been a safety call? I', sure it was costing a lot of cash. Still, I feel for the little guy.

Fifthleg
17th Mar 2017, 01:43
That's a bit ruff.

kaikohe76
17th Mar 2017, 01:57
At that time of the morning, were there so many aircraft movements, that warranted this response? It does seem a rather extreme action, but I was not the one to make the call.
All this at the International Airport, with no rail link at all to the city, sky high taxi fares, parking rates set by the Gestapo & a road traffic system that is best described as chaotic!

rjtjrt
17th Mar 2017, 04:04
A tranquillizer gun should have been available and used.
To kill the dog is a terrible response.
The handler must be terribly upset.

Unregistered User
17th Mar 2017, 04:10
Who let the dogs out?

Skystar320
17th Mar 2017, 05:05
Absolute scum! Hope heads roll over this disgusting incident

aussie1234
17th Mar 2017, 05:26
The poor thing was running back and forth over the runway. All movements were stopped. It was 7:10am when it unfortunately finished so yes starting to get busy.

Captain Dart
17th Mar 2017, 05:33
Where I've just flown from, our caterers would have come and picked it up.

mickjoebill
17th Mar 2017, 05:52

Taser much use under the circumstances?
Presumably they did not let loose with a high velocity round?

Mickjoebill

The Banjo
17th Mar 2017, 05:55
The poor thing legged it when it saw it's handler put velcro gloves on ..........:eek:

mickjoebill
17th Mar 2017, 06:10
The poor thing was running back and forth over the runway...

A run-a-way dog at an airport....

Mickjoebill

YPJT
17th Mar 2017, 06:19
the poor little falla's handler and others involved must feel devastated. If anything good can come of this, maybe the airports will from now keep some non lethal means of stopping an animal on the loose without having to resort to shooting dead.

downdata
17th Mar 2017, 06:28
The poor handler didn't do much wrong ... getting him fired won't change a thing.

Cralis
17th Mar 2017, 06:44
I wonder what the reasoning was for such lethal force. I'm guessing, the dog being sucked into an engine?

But, the dog was petrified. Surely it wouldn't have gone near an aircraft?

Such a shame.

DeRated
17th Mar 2017, 06:57
You control a dog with high frequency whistles - so understand how confused it would be airside!

And yes, I've had them run through the prop looking for exhaust whistles that we can't hear.

ACMS
17th Mar 2017, 07:04
Sad, a normal day in Mumbai.....

Chris2303
17th Mar 2017, 10:26
Tranquiliser couldn't have been used to save Grizz, says top vet - National - NZ Herald News (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11820548)

"Grizz, a 10-month-old bearded collie/German short-haired pointer cross, was shot dead by police at the direction of Auckland Airport staff after becoming spooked and escaping from his trainer about 4.30am."

"Aviation Security Service (Avsec) spokesman Mike Richards said Grizz escaped while he was being loaded into the back of the agency's dog unit wagon in the public area at Auckland Airport about 4.30am on Friday.

"He managed to get air side [into the] security area when a gate opened to let a truck through," Richards said."

We puppy walk for another dog organisation and the rule is you never let the dog off the lead unless it is for play or until you get inside at home.

cattletruck
17th Mar 2017, 10:53
I don't think anyone is happy about the outcome, least of all the officer who was tasked to pull the trigger. With the benefit of hindsight perhaps there were better ways of dealing with the situation, but perhaps the risks of taking them were not acceptable under the circumstances.

Unfortunate indeed.

Capt Fathom
17th Mar 2017, 11:22
I'm sure the person who made the final decision has never owned a dog!

perhaps there were better ways of dealing with the situation, but perhaps the risks of taking them were not acceptable

Risks to what exactly?

cattletruck
17th Mar 2017, 11:32
Risks to what exactly?
The risk that no pilot or ground handler had factored in the unpredictable nature of a rogue animal being unconstrained on airside that morning.

I'm sure the person who made the final decision has never owned a dog!
As I said - unfortunate indeed.

mickjoebill
17th Mar 2017, 12:23
The focus needs to be on how the dog got loose and why it was so spooked to ignore it's handler.
It has been described a puppy undergoing training.

Mickjoebill

cooperplace
17th Mar 2017, 12:29
I'm just a crappy PPL and dog owner, so I know nothing, but why couldn't they have ignored the dog? Any sensible pooch will run a mile from a runway as soon as a jet aircraft approaches. They did not need to shoot this dog! As an Australian, the only positive I can draw from this is the knowledge that our public servants don't have a monopoly on dim-witted over-reactions, much as they like to give that impression.

Chris2303
17th Mar 2017, 13:36
Risks to what exactly?

Aircraft perhaps?

Dog in an engine?

clark y
17th Mar 2017, 14:05
At the end of the day it's a dog. If it was another sort of animal would there be this reaction?

IsDon
17th Mar 2017, 15:19
Must be a slow news day.

I remember a clever fox (I know, a tautology) "terrorising" Sydney airport over a week or so a few years back. We spotted him one night taxiing out to 16R near the fire station.

He consistently demonstrated he was a lot smarter than those that tried to catch/shoot him. As far as I know they never did.

It never made the news in Oz.

I guess if it was Auckland they would have closed the airport until the critter was dealt with.

Really guys, one dog? How many other critters hang around airports that we either tolerate or don't even know about. Is one scared dog more dangerous than that?

Virtually There
17th Mar 2017, 17:57
$100,000 worth of training and they couldn't call the dog to heel. I know who I'd be sacking.

DeltaT
17th Mar 2017, 21:22
That's a very good point!

Rabbitwear
17th Mar 2017, 22:14
It's a real joke , there's always dogs on the Aerodrome in Pakistan , even seen them in Bali , no problems over there .

The Baron
17th Mar 2017, 23:35
Just a shame it wasn't a sniffer cat.....

Checklist Charlie
18th Mar 2017, 00:04
And these are the very people who see themselves as "heros" for protecting our borders.

CC

ZFT
18th Mar 2017, 00:18
Funny old world. 42 women and kids get machine gunned by an Apache but a dog gets all the comments!

Cralis
18th Mar 2017, 10:44
Funny old world. 42 women and kids get machine gunned by an Apache but a dog gets all the comments!

I'm not seeing the link. What's that got to do with this thread about a dog getting shot? I thought this was an aviation thread based on news on Australia, NZ and the Pacific?

parabellum
19th Mar 2017, 01:06
They had three hours, between escape and fatal shot, to get a whole variety of tranquiliser darts and rifles to the airport and NZ is primarily a farming country.

blow.n.gasket
19th Mar 2017, 01:34
IsDon :wrote

I remember a clever fox (I know, a tautology) "terrorising" Sydney airport over a week or so a few years back. We spotted him one night taxiing out to 16R near the fire station.

Reminds me of a joke,

"What's the difference between a dog and a fox?"

"Well for me , 6 beers usually!"

Band a Lot
19th Mar 2017, 03:40
Aircraft perhaps?

Dog in an engine?

Intelligence at its best - I think you will find the aircraft and it's engine have little or no risk of the said dog.

The engine would require inspection "IF" dog was ingested, but not likely to suffer any major damage on a landing or take off roll. If it did, it is insured and replaceable under that insurance.

Unless the aircraft was a Piper Cub or other fabric aircraft no airframe damage of any note would happen (minor dent maybe).

You will in fact find all the risk is to the dog (that is running for its life) trying to run away from things - not into them.

I assume the powers to be issued a NOTAM in the 4 hours they had before shooting the dog! The dog must have been important information for aviators to know about if this animal had to be shot, so the correct method is to issue a NOTAM not an order to destroy.

Octane
19th Mar 2017, 04:30
A tragic event. My thoughts to the dog handler... :-(

IsDon
19th Mar 2017, 05:47
IsDon :wrote

Reminds me of a joke,

"What's the difference between a dog and a fox?"

"Well for me , 6 beers usually!"

Classic.

On a related story. I was doing night circuits in a draggy at East Sale one evening and we thought we hit a rabbit on landing. Thought I'd create some light entertainment so wrote up the aircraft for an inspection following "a mid hare collision". Even the CO thought that was funny.

Seriously, the bloody things were all over the airfield. They were usually smart enough to keep out of the way. You know, look to the right, look to the left, look to the right again. And that's the case on just about every airfield I've ever landed at. If we worried about hitting wildlife then we'd never go flying.

This is just a sad reflection on an arse covering culture that is is destroying life as we know it in so called developed nations. They wouldn't close an airfield or shoot every animal on an airfield, but they will if that animal was on the airfield in the first place because of their own incompetence. That might mean they might be held accountable if pooch did decide to run in front of an aircraft. That's why the huge overreaction occurred.

blow.n.gasket
19th Mar 2017, 06:10
IsDon, that's what happens when you take a left turn at albuquerque.

IsDon
19th Mar 2017, 06:36
IsDon, that's what happens when you take a left turn at albuquerque.

There's a blast from the past. Another BB fan.:ok:

IsDon
19th Mar 2017, 06:38
I wonder how long it will be until we see some nitwit with a smart phone out on the runway looking for Pokemon?

I fully endorse open season on mindless morons.

Chris2303
19th Mar 2017, 08:11
I, as a dog owner, can only imagine how scared that poor animal would have been with what was probably the Keystone Cops running around after him.

I'm sorry AVSEC but until you can prove that you treat all your dogs properly you can't have any!

slamer.
19th Mar 2017, 09:17
So if a person was running around on 25L at LAX, they would probably be shot
by the fed's pronto!!.... no bleeding heart outcry...!! and all would agree s/he deserved it.

Its the bambi effect....

belowMDA
21st Mar 2017, 01:27
I'm rather surprised at the number of people here who believe that a young dog that was new to the airport environment, would act rationally when scared and stay away from aircraft. Animals don't act rationally when scared, certainly not in our sense of the word.

Cralis
21st Mar 2017, 04:42
So if a person was running around on 25L at LAX, they would probably be shot
by the fed's pronto!!.... no bleeding heart outcry...!! and all would agree s/he deserved it.

Its the bambi effect....

If it was a person trying to cause harm to aircraft or something else out there, yes, probably shot. If it was a child that had got disorientated and somehow escaped onto 25L at LAX - probably not shot. No bambi effect. Just some disgruntlement at the handling of a situation.

And personally, I like dogs, and would prefer to have seen it handled in a more humane and professional manner.

Cralis
3rd Apr 2017, 03:11
Oh oh... another dog shot by staff...

Dog shot in the head at Honolulu airport by security guard (http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/woman-demands-answers-after-airport-security-officer-shoots-dog-dead/news-story/624bcdb25295a93a2792d4589d473d91)

But not NZ.

KRviator
3rd Apr 2017, 04:17
For those who think the dog would run from an aircraft, there was a FSA article* a few years ago about a charter bloke in the top end who had a dog, "accustomed to aircraft" apparently, run into the prop disk.

As there was no phone around, he flew 20 mins to the nearest one, and on shutdown, checked the prop again and one blade could be rotated the full 360* in the hub.

Unfortunately, there aren't any guarantees with this kind of thing...

*And do you think I can find that article now??