PDA

View Full Version : London City Airport - GA Ops

Ozgrade3
9th Jul 2002, 23:54
Can GA Aircraft use London City Airport, for a medium sized piston twin such as an Aerostar or Chieftain. If so,what would the cost be, any special operating restrictions/requirements and any special aircrew qualifations required to operate into this airport.

Just seettling an arguement.

Bright-Ling
10th Jul 2002, 08:50
Or see:

City permitted aircraft (http://www.lcacc.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/aircraft/#Other)

(LDA 1199m actually!!)

OzExpat
10th Jul 2002, 11:15
5.5 degrees approach to a runway that's 1199 metres long? Too easy! :D We don't have to contend with such outrageous landing charges either...

eyeinthesky
10th Jul 2002, 11:39
I looked at going in there in an Aztec once. There was a minimum charge of something like £250 and you had to comply with the following restrictions:

1) A two-crew CPL-rated operation.
2) Both crew members must have completed at least two 5.5 degree approaches and produce evidence of them if required.
3) The aircraft must have an addendum or section in its flight manual confirming it is approved for 5.5 degree approaches.

There were some others but I lost interest at this point!

All this despite the probability that you would try and get a VFR arrival and a dive in between IFR deps/arrivals. Many VFR light aircraft approach at something close to 5 degrees anyway so I don't see what the big deal is. But that's regulation for you.:rolleyes:

Bright-Ling
10th Jul 2002, 17:36
To be fair, in can't be that easy........the DLH (Augsberg) guys are always going-around!!!!

Tee hee.:)

Seriously, though, I think they are still capped on aircraft movements, so like other similarly capped units (Farnborough for example) they have to 'over-price' fees for smaller aircraft.

You also need to be a fairly slick operator, backtracking and departing between 7 or 8 mile gaps on final......and getting landing clearance at about 1.5 miles.

Most operators send aircraft over with crew trainers regularly. Does anyone who flies it quite a hard approach to fly, given it's size, G/P, cross winds, being surrounded by water etc?