PDA

View Full Version : some one help!!! eye sight and stuff

tigertime5
9th Jul 2002, 23:49
sorry if peep have had this asked but i'm so confused!!!!

This is my prescription:

Left eye, -6.25, -0.25, 20
Right, -5.50, -0.25, 101

I'm short sighted and wear contacts all the time. Currently at uni, but sorting things out now to help pursue a career as a pilot after uni in three years time.

I'm more keen to go into commercial, but if there's no hope, (and no sponsership) i am just as keen to join the RAF. But i'm not sure if either would accept me with my eye sight in this state.

Considering Laser eye, and have the time to be grounded, as would do it next year, and still have two years at uni. But am so confused as to wether either paths would accept me with this surgery.

Really appreciate any advice. Thanks

silverknapper
11th Jul 2002, 21:58
Tiger

From what I can see, no expert though, you are beyond limits for Class one and military. As far as I know the RAF require 20/20 uncorrected vision when you join. I do know though that for a class one you require - 3 dioptres in both eyes until 25 then up to -5 at initial. I then think you can deteriorate to -8. Under new JAA rules which have been accepted in theory you can be up to -5 at any age. The difference between eyes must also be less than 2 d. However you still don't meet this. I would suggest you try Lasik as you are a little too myopic for PRK. You have nothing to lose. 'Down' time is a year so plenty of time.

Sorry to bear bad news.

SK

orninn
11th Jul 2002, 23:22
I heard about a year ago that the requirements under JAR were going to loosen up in the nearest future... I'm not saying that it is, just that I heard that it probably would. Have you talked to the CAA about this? Have you asked if they know anything about this changing soon? I would try that before you decide to do the lasik since it is a risk. Also I would recommend that you gather as much information on the LASIK as you can before going down that road. I was considering this choice about two years ago and bought a book: In Search of 20/20: Everything You Need to Know About Laser Eye Surgery. It both answered a lot of questions and gave good advice. For me the risk was to big since I already held a class 1 medical.

regards
Orninn

tigertime5
14th Jul 2002, 13:08
thanks even though its not the greatest news its best I get the truth...i'll look for that book and contact the CAA.

thanks again

Justin Case
15th Jul 2002, 16:43
If you are interested in flying in the US, you can get class one as long as you are correctable to 20/20 in each eye.

Vin Diesel
16th Jul 2002, 11:28
Here is my own prescription:

Right 050/050/90
Left 050/050/90

I am short sighted. I am concerned about this. Not only does it mean that when i spot a nice bird in the clubs, I have to go on a close range recconaissance mission to be sure that my eyes haven't let me down, myopic beer goggles being serial judgement impairers, but does this preclude me from getting a class one.

I was also wondering if contact lenses are acceptable for use in the cockpit, and particularly
if i do meet the requirements for a class one at the moment, am i likely in ten/twenty years to have deteriorated so much that losing my licence may be a possibility?

I am doing PPL at the moment, and I want to go commercial. Just a little worried that after the v.significant investment, that it may not be all that useful after a period of time. Although, if your vision can be corrected to 20/20 is sufficient for the FAA, I was wondering what the JAR's line is?

Any comments welcome as my optician was less than helpful. Maybe it's because i keep breaking my glasses which he repairs. Hence the question about contacts. Still, he's making good money out of me.

Any comments on my own prescription most welcome.

foghorn
20th Jul 2002, 20:53
Vin - see other thread.