PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter school recommendations nr Fairoaks

Alteburger
16th Mar 2017, 09:10
Having got 25 years of airline and GA flying accrued, I've developed an interest in having some time in a helicopter. I had a go in a Skeeter years ago but I thought I'd update my experience, and as my partner has offered to finance this as present, I'm ready to go flying!

I live near Fairoaks, and would like to find a school operating maybe an R44 or small turbine (something a little more solid than the R22 perhaps..) Rather than a bog standard trial lesson, I'd like to find somewhere with more of an approach to utilising any relevant convertible experience to maximise the flight - I don't mind paying lesson rates but I'd like the best learning experience possible.

If anyone has any recommendations/suggestions for somewhere or someone, I'd be most grateful.

helimutt
16th Mar 2017, 09:34
I was at Fairoaks not too long ago and saw a Guimbal Cabri G2. I believe Elite Helicopters https://www.elitehelicopters.co.uk/operate out of there, as well as at Goodwood. They also have access to R2, R44, B206 and a squirrel if i'm not mistaken.

No I am not associated in any way with Elite Helicopters.

John R81
16th Mar 2017, 10:42
Its more important to find a school that works for you than to measure (within reason) the time spent driving to the school. I suggest that you arrange to visit a few and get a personal view of the layout and the people before you commit to one.

In UK you need CAA dispensation to train for PPL(H) in something with more than 4 seats - which many turbines are. You can get it, but the most common reason is that you own / will fly only that type; then you need to find a school prepared to let you out in a larger and more valuable aircraft (unless you bring your own). Options in the 4-or-less seat category open to you locally are R22, G2, R44 and if you travel a little further the S300. You might get a school to teach you in a Turbine - EC120 has been known in the past, and I am not sure if there may be options for 206 or AS350. You would find restrictions and limitations with turbine self-fly-hire on completing your PPL(H); the main reason for this is that if you do break a turbine the cost to the insurance company - and hence the premium hike for the business - is much bigger than for a Robinson, a G2 or an S300 and could lead to the school struggling to survive financially. It would be wise to check on the SFH options once you have your license before committing the funds to training.

It will be significantly cheaper to learn in a 2 - 4 seat piston machine and then convert to turbine once you have the PPL(H). The G2 flies very much like the EC120 (rotor head & tail design), and the R44 is quite like a B206 (Rotor head and tail design). In both cases power-plant management is significantly different in the turbine machines as compared to the piston training aircraft.

Good luck, and have fun with your training.

Sloppy Link
16th Mar 2017, 13:46
Go EBG at Redhill. Have a fleet of what you are looking for, G2, R22/44, EC120. Cracking cafe too.

Alteburger
16th Mar 2017, 13:55
Thank you guys very much for your responses.

Thank you also John R81, for the additional and very material info regarding practicalities of self fly hire if I complete the PPL (H). It sounds as though the R44 would fit the bill nicely.

I'll take a drive around a visit a few schools - I have no problem with a drive to find the right outfit. I fly fixed wing out of GWC so will visit Elite. I'm also very familiar with Redhills cafe and so shall add EBG to the priority list! Any further particular school recommendations forthcoming would be gratefully received.

helihub
16th Mar 2017, 15:41
For completeness of what's at Fairoaks, Cotswold Helicopter Centre have a base there - a joint venture with Gama Aviation. They fly Cabri G2 and R44 here, and they can pull other types in when needed including B206 and H120.

See Cotswold Helicopter Centre (http://www.flychc.com)

aa777888
16th Mar 2017, 16:07
For completeness of what's at Fairoaks, Cotswold Helicopter Centre have a base there - a joint venture with Gama Aviation. They fly Cabri G2 and R44 here, and they can pull other types in when needed including B206 and H120.
FWIW I'll be flying a G2 with them on Sat, wx permitting and all that.