PDA

View Full Version : Go wins 'Best Low Cost Airline' again - 9 July

Goforfun
9th Jul 2002, 20:53
From Go-Fly.com

Go wins 'Best Low Cost Airline' again - 9 July

Go has been voted the 'Best Low Cost Airline' in the 2002 Selling Short Breaks Travel Awards.

Selling Short Breaks is a bi-monthly magazine for travel agents and tour operators. In April, a questionnaire was sent out inviting travel agents to vote for the companies they considered to be the best in terms of efficiency, product range, pricing, friendliness, accessibility and environmental awareness.

Full results of the awards will be published in the July/August editions of both Selling Long Haul and Selling Short Breaks.

Go is pleased to add this prestigious award to our collection - we're the most recent winners of the 'Best Low Cost Airline' in the Telegraph Travel Awards 2001, Business Traveller Awards 2001 and The Guardian / Observer Travel Awards 2002.

twistedenginestarter
9th Jul 2002, 23:00
I'm not sure this proves much (it's hardly the Harvard Business Review) but it is interesting that Ryan never get user awards.

jet_noseover
10th Jul 2002, 02:13
Is this the GO one that crew asked their pax to vote if they should land when engine problem (fire) occured?
I believe it was enroute to Cuba at that time....
Anyone recalls this?

Rob_L
10th Jul 2002, 04:52
What was it Stelios said, something about never paying a penny to a travel agent. This award is organised by travel agents. No bias in there then? Sounds a bit like the christmas turkeys giving the award for best carnivore to a vegetarian!!!!

Chris Kebab
10th Jul 2002, 07:18
Having flown as pax on all the budget airlines more than once Go get my vote every time. Their customer service, in my opinion, leaves the others standing.

Flown Ryanair twice, met my bag 22 hours later on the last one...never again.

twistedenginestarter
10th Jul 2002, 07:49
jet

If they were en route to Cuba in a Go 737 they'd have quite a few safety issues to vote on, I would say.

VFE
10th Jul 2002, 08:51
Flying with GO! was a much more pleasurable experience than any of the other low-cost carriers I have travelled on. Cabin crew were great, A/C on time and F/D most accomodating. :)

Well done GO!

VFE.

brabazon
10th Jul 2002, 11:05
jet_noseover

What was the name of the airline you are talking about? GO one? It's certainly not this go, as they only operate within Europe, though they do/did have an American Chief Exec!

jet_noseover
10th Jul 2002, 15:43
brabazon

You are correct, that one was not the GO. It was a Yesair. ("03 MAR 2002 A Yesair jet bound for Varadero, Cuba suffered an engine stall after departure from Milan-Malpensa. The pilot told the 250 passengers that the aircraft was safe, but his reassurances failed to calm the passengers and he decided to put the issue to a vote. The holidaymakers elected overwhelmingly to abort the flight and return to Milan. (Reuters)"

I remember an incident though where the crew of the GO ( flying from Newcastle to Stansted) announced to the pax that they were diverting to East Midlands because the pilot was not qualified to land in CAT 3A conditions. There was heavy fog in Stansted.

Imagine what the passengers must have thought: we have unqualified pilots flying us!!!

Why they simply did not say that they will divert because of bad weather conditions, period but chose to elaborate on pilots qualifications, beats me.

Whiskey Zulu
13th Jul 2002, 07:14
Ryanair apparently leave any bags behind that are not loaded in time for STD. If check-in closes at STD -30 mins, why the hell can't they (or the handling agents acting on their behalf) manage to get ALL the baggage loaded in time? And when will they realise that pax receiving their bags 12-24 hours after arrival is a sure fire way to lose the faith of the travelling public. Perhaps that explains why they have their own lost property office in Dublin. From what I've seen and heard, it must be one of their busiest departments! :(

Wee Weasley Welshman
13th Jul 2002, 09:49
Jet Noseover - totally incorrect. Inflight the pax received the standard diversion PA with no elaborations.

On the ground at the diversion airport the training Captain onboard made a PA from the cabin explaining at length the reason for the diversion. It got picked up by the press.

Non event I am afraid.

jet_noseover
13th Jul 2002, 18:22
"totally incorrect. Inflight the pax received the standard diversion PA with no elaborations.

On the ground at the diversion airport the training Captain onboard made a PA from the cabin explaining at length the reason for the diversion. It got picked up by the press.

Non event I am afraid."

While I agree with you on the "non event" I still find it a little odd the crew chose to go for "explaining at length the reason for the diversion".

I was able to locate some articles for this event.

I sure like this reporter in training (first written by her and the BBC one quoting her).

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/Features.View.aspx?ContentID=235

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/england/newsid_1888000/1888327.stm

In no way I am minimising the GO accomplishments. They got the award for THE reason.

Kudos to them!!!!

Wee Weasley Welshman
14th Jul 2002, 21:25
A trainee reporter being one of the pax ensured this tiny story made national media.

Name me an airline in Western Europe in which this could not happen.. Exactly.