PDA

View Full Version : For my American friends

rodney rude
12th Mar 2017, 23:20
Hi guys. I'm wondering if I can get an answer on this one. In our part of the world, if flying a bizjet privately, insurance requirements aside, there is no requirement for simulator recurrents. Just a biennial flight review.

Operating a US registered jet purely under Part 91, is there actually a requirement for sim recurrents? Sure, an IPC must be done, but what about recurrents.

Thanks in advance.

Rod

noneya
13th Mar 2017, 00:41
Recurrent's do not have to be done in a sim. Some aircraft like the JetStar do not even have a simulator or a Training Provider. In the case of the JetStar, the recurrent is done by an DE in the aircraft.

rodney rude
13th Mar 2017, 03:03
But some sort of check must be done? How often? Thanks

westhawk
13th Mar 2017, 09:07
But some sort of check must be done? How often? Thanks

FAR 61.58 requires that the PIC of an airplane requiring more than one crewmember or is turbojet powered must have had a PIC proficiency check within the preceding 12 calendar months and in the type concerned within the preceding 24 months. This can be accomplished in a simulator or airplane. A proficiency check contains the same checking elements as a type ride and must be administered by a "person authorized by the administrator". In the airplane that usually means a DPE.

In the USA, only a tiny and ever diminishing proportion of all training and checking events for such aircraft are accomplished in the airplane these days. It's pretty much limited to types with no sim, experimentals and some small operators with small jets and limited resources. The vast majority of bizjet operators do their training and checking at the sim center. Perhaps the greatest arbiter of aviation risk mitigation is the insurance underwriters!