PDA

View Full Version : Fuel outage at Manchester airport EGCC Saturday 11

spargazer
12th Mar 2017, 22:57
Does anyone know why the fuel farm here broke down for a few hours yesterday?,

noflynomore
12th Mar 2017, 23:39
If I go to the supermarket and there isn't any bread is that a "bread outage"?
What about nothing to watch on TV? A TV outage?
I think using "outage" is a grotesque language outage.

What a hideous expression!

Presumably there wasn't any fuel available for a while? Non-native English speakers would understand that...

LTNman
13th Mar 2017, 04:55
Who gives a monkeys about whether a lack of fuel should be called an outage. The question remains as to why there was a lack of fuel?

Johnny F@rt Pants
13th Mar 2017, 05:35
I heard there was a power outage:cool:

ATNotts
13th Mar 2017, 08:15
There's a whole thread on Jet Blast that started off with people railing (quite rightly about "so" being used at the start of sentences) about use of english.

Outage, I agree is an appalling one - and one that has slipped through the net as yet.

connoisseur
13th Mar 2017, 08:43
So, what happened to the fuel farm then.....................?

CCGE29
13th Mar 2017, 08:47
Power cut meant that the fuel couldn't be pumped via the hydrant system. There was no lack of fuel as such, just the hydrant system had no power.

DaveReidUK
13th Mar 2017, 09:10
If I go to the supermarket and there isn't any bread is that a "bread outage"?
What about nothing to watch on TV? A TV outage?
I think using "outage" is a grotesque language outage.

What a hideous expression!

Presumably there wasn't any fuel available for a while? Non-native English speakers would understand that...

If you're going to object to "outage", do so on the grounds that it's an American term.

It's far from new, though, having been in use over there for more than 100 years, so it's not really surprising that it eventually found its way over here. It was certainly in common usage (frequently!) when I was involved in airline IT 40-odd years ago.

Innominate
13th Mar 2017, 11:12
DRUK

Are you calling for an end to Outage Outrage?

spargazer
13th Mar 2017, 13:23
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/outage

and a few other english ones and I suspect a JCB or similar went through a power cable.

spargazer
13th Mar 2017, 13:32
phew I am so glad I stuck to spotters
corner

MATELO
13th Mar 2017, 17:34
Power cut meant that the fuel couldn't be pumped via the hydrant system. There was no lack of fuel as such, just the hydrant system had no power.

So, ironically, the fuel outage was down to a power outage.

OntimeexceptACARS
13th Mar 2017, 23:49
Risk of thread drift. Phrases that are common in the UK that get on my threepennys, usually spoken by politicians, print journos or the BBC:
No evidence of wrongdoing
Riding roughshod
Boffins

Rips my knitting.