PDA

View Full Version : Outlook duplication.

ExSp33db1rd
11th Mar 2017, 21:46
Signed in to Outlook yesterday - and was told that I had 1560, 250 Mb, of e-mails to download, took 4 hours and duplicated every e-mail that I have saved in various folders over the past couple of years and started a new folder of Unread e-mails for the lot of them.

Yes, I could have stopped it but was fearful that it would started up again next time, so just sat and watched.

If I delete anything from this new folder, it also deletes it from the original folder that it has harvested it from.

WTF ?

Jhieminga
13th Mar 2017, 13:55
To be able to answer this one, it might be useful to know a bit more about your setup. It looks to me as if you have inadvertantly copied a folder across somewhere or changed a setting. What software are you using as an e-mail reader? Do you know if you have set up the account as POP or IMAP? Are you using an online version as well?

ExSp33db1rd
14th Mar 2017, 09:00
Thanks, probably Yes, to all of that !

POP, Outlook 2007, "Leave a copy on the Server" etc. etc. Never been a problem, hadn't happened when I read e-mail the day before, and wasn't happening when I shut down, but started immediately when I re-started the next day. Hasn't happened since.

It didn't download e-mails from the server again to do this, we clear those off fairly frequently and Outlook downloaded many e-mails that were no longer on the server, it just seemed to grab every e-mail from every folder and drop them into the Inbox again, but it appeared as if they were downloading, not just moving over from the various folders. Took about 4 hours to shift 1560 e-mails.

Don't use an "Cloud" systems, or similar, don't trust them not to be read by Trump !

Jhieminga
14th Mar 2017, 21:47
Very strange, if you regularly clear out the folder on the server then it should not be possible for Outlook to redownload those messages. My first thought was that you had somehow created a 'smart folder' or something like that, which is essentially a folder filled with links to e-mails stored in different folders. The fact that they appeared to download doesn't tie in with that though. I have had Outlook redownload stuff at times but that was usually after a reinstall or when the indexes on server and PC had gotten out of sync.

Sorry, I'll have to pass on this one, over to another genius please!

ExSp33db1rd
14th Mar 2017, 21:59
Thanks anyway !