PDA

View Full Version : Geoff Thomas strikes again!

slocs
8th Mar 2017, 23:43
From News Limited:

What caused the Swan River seaplane crash on Australia Day | Perth Now (http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/what-caused-the-swan-river-seaplane-crash-on-australia-day/news-story/921fcf883480b34f15f1f7c0c700dba9)

"When the plane crashed it was travelling north-east so the 20km/hr south-west wind would have worsened the situation by affectively reducing his over-the-wing-speed by 20km/hr."

Hmmm...

Bug Smasher Smasher
9th Mar 2017, 01:45
:ugh:
Guess the ATSB can just pack up and go home now.

spleener
9th Mar 2017, 02:06
No fan of GT.
However I guess he was just trying to explain, using low syllable count words to the greater audience, the perils of a downwind turn at low level and high alpha.
That appears to be a factor in this case, and the ATSB will have to investigate and consider without access to real metrics as available from a FDR or like.

Capn Bloggs
9th Mar 2017, 03:01
Guess the ATSB can just pack up and go home now.
The article was primarily based on what the ATSB says on it's website, apart from the tailwind effect.

Bug Smasher Smasher
9th Mar 2017, 04:19
The article was primarily based on what the ATSB says on it's website, apart from the tailwind effect.
I agree that's what the article refers to but the title, "What caused the Swan River seaplane crash on Australia Day" makes it sound like it's case closed already.

What irks me even more is his statement, "reducing his over-the-wing-speed by 20km/hr."
There's extensive discussion about this in another thread.
Given the heading of the aircraft when it stalled, it was actually starting to turn into the wind. Therefore its IAS (Geoffrey, not "over the wing speed" :rolleyes:) would have been subjected to a very slight increase, if anything.

itsnotthatbloodyhard
9th Mar 2017, 05:01
Jesus wept. :mad:

allthecoolnamesarego
9th Mar 2017, 06:46
I thought we had covered this before.....

Can we please please please stop talking about a 'downwind turn'.

Pinky the pilot
9th Mar 2017, 09:19
Perhaps not all of the Media are taken in by GT these days. One of the last times I saw him interviewed in a TV News item the subtitle described him as an "Aviation Journalist." Note; not 'expert!'

Thankfully Mrs Pinky had me in an armlock at the time,:eek::} otherwise I might just have thrown a bottle of Red at the TV screen if indeed the word 'expert' was shown instead.:mad::ugh:

mostlytossas
9th Mar 2017, 11:42
Yes just love these so called experts. The important point however is are they self proclaimed experts or experts by their peers? Because there is a huge difference between them.

Tee Emm
9th Mar 2017, 12:45
However I guess he was just trying to explain, using low syllable count words to the greater audience
Like it or not, GT is the aviation go to man by the media. Cut him some slack. Who else are they going to find to get their thoughts on aviation matters? We don't hear of many volunteers in the aviation business rushing to the media organisations to volunteer their "expert" opinions.

That may be because those people the media may try to contact to get expert points of view, prefer to remain anonymous and keep their private opinions to themselves lest they get flamed by those that enjoy flaming Geoff Thomas.:ok:

AerialPerspective
10th Mar 2017, 02:48
It's not that, it's the fact that he isn't even a very good journalist... he is overtly sensationalist just look at his interview for Air Crash Investigation regarding Garuda, he was completely sensationalist and I know it's a small thing but I just HATE how he always says the "plane" did this or the "plane" did that... no one who is serious in the industry calls it a 'plane' that is a childish term that is bandied about by the media and by people who don't know anything about aviation... an aeroplane, airplane or aircraft is what most knowledgeable people say. Is that the end of the world??? No, it's not but those sort of subtle signs show he really knows nothing at all and I and am sure, many others are sick to death of him sticking his face on TV and carrying on like he's an expert. I find Peter Harbison (not sure of the spelling) similarly annoying. I remember him saying once that "If Qantas had not created Jetstar, Virgin would have torn them to pieces" - really, a company with $4.5bn dollars cash in the bank at the time versus a company that narrowly avoided folding and only survived because AN collapsed could have killed Qantas. No. Qantas would have just undercut them to the point they went out of business. These people are held up as experts. It doesn't mean any of the rest of us are journalist types but many people on here would be capable of providing much better commentary and balanced as well and not using every opportunity on camera to big note and advance themselves only because their audience doesn't know any better.

RubberDogPoop
10th Mar 2017, 07:04
By "downwind turn" spleener, I assume you're actually referring to "low-level windshear", as opposed to turning your back on a uniformly moving airmass? (if one couldturn their back on an airmass that they were part of...)
Here we go again!

Jetstarpilot
10th Mar 2017, 10:32
We jetjoks drivers in the star call em "frames":rolleyes:

megan
10th Mar 2017, 10:52
Aerial, you might just check your dictionary, you'll find it refers to "planes" as aircraft, among many other things. Term was used as far back as 1920 by professionals in the industry. The US Navy have "Plane Captains", Crew Chiefs by name in the Air Force.

AerialPerspective
10th Mar 2017, 12:22
Aerial, you might just check your dictionary, you'll find it refers to "planes" as aircraft, among many other things. Term was used as far back as 1920 by professionals in the industry. The US Navy have "Plane Captains", Crew Chiefs by name in the Air Force.
I'm sure you are correct but I still think it sounds amateurish - in thirty years in the industry I never heard anyone call an aeroplane a 'plane except outside the industry... except for one operator (VA) where many also refer to multiple aircraft as 'aircrafts' which definitely is incorrect. As for the US Navy, that may be the case but I've never heard an aviation professional or airline person of any experience in the US call them anything but an 'airplane'. To me, a 'plane' is something you fashion wood with and if it is a shortening of airplane or aeroplane, shouldn't it have an apostrophe at the beginning i.e. 'plane.

Capn Bloggs
10th Mar 2017, 13:33
They're Aeroplanes, Laddy... planes shave wood!

megan
10th Mar 2017, 14:57
Aerial, from an Airbus add.One pilot fits all. Thanks to fly-by-wire technology, the flight deck, flight procedures and handling characteristics on Airbus planes are virtually identical. The same goes for our aircraft systems and maintenance programs. So everything from training pilots to managing spare parts is easier and more cost-efficient. Obviously making our planes the smart choice. Airbus. Setting the standards. And a Flight Dynamics add, who build your Head-Up Guidance Systems.seeing these planes as equals in heavy fog doesn't take imagination, it takes Flight Dynamics.

Chalk one up for all airlines, major or regional. Now your fleet can take off and land in extremely low visibility conditions, big planes right along with small ones. Flight Dynamics Head-Up Guidance systems (HGS®) is the great equalizer. This proven system projects full flight guidance information in the pilot's field of view. For more details on how Flight Dynamics can keep your planes flying without delay, call 503-684-5384.

bgbazz
10th Mar 2017, 17:12
Just love the word expert.

Broken down, it becomes...

X = an unknown quantity

Spert = a drip under pressure.

I'll just get my coat....

mattyj
10th Mar 2017, 21:55
It was probably latent katabatic winds blowing downward from the subtropical jestream causing aerodynamic slip in the lenticular ground effect

IsDon
11th Mar 2017, 21:18
Aerial, from an Airbus add.And a Flight Dynamics add, who build your Head-Up Guidance Systems.

Written by the PR department for the ignorant masses.

Not by a pilot.

A "plane" is a place in Spain where the rain mainly falls.

Aircraft or aeroplane, (or airplane at a pinch)! Or join GT in the ranks of ignorant half wits.

Another Number
13th Mar 2017, 09:34
Media Boss to GT: Geoff, maaate, everyone keeps telling me you're a bloody drongo! I'm beginning to think that you're a little under-qualified - a little bag-chucking doesn't actually make you "the world's greatest aviation expert" - even if you've been (self-)awarded more than anyone else on the planet!
GT: Maaaate! If you're going to accuse me of just stealing it all off pprune again...
Media boss: Well, we know how you love to cut-n-paste...
GT:Yeah, but,
Media Boss: ...and I could probably get a real pilot for a tenth of what we pay you!
GT: Yeah, but ... just look at pprune - they'll hijack threads over petty semantics, get caught up in endless "mine's-bigger-than-yours" arguments...
Media Boss: Sure, it seems like that, but...
GT: And no-one, but no-one can compete with my formula:
20% reality
20% off-the-planet "how much is GT putting up his nose these days" unfathomable BS
20% cut-n-paste from pprune
40% churnalism, press-release-spewing, freebies, junkets...
Boss: Okay, okay ... have another glass of champers. I was going to give you the fright of your life...
GT: Allowing me back on the controls of my unique, mighty 777 sim?
Boss: Sending you economy class...