PDA

View Full Version : post ppl

ri5
9th Jul 2002, 18:40
hey just a quick question to all you experts out there.what is the best thing to do following a ppl with the ambition of atpl.....hour build <if so how many> or a multi or imc ......

CAT3C AUTOLAND
9th Jul 2002, 19:29
Hi there Sir/Madam,

I am by no mean an expert, but can offer an opinion.

The way most people do it is to gain their PPL, and then satisfy the prerequsite requirements for the CPL course, by completing 150 total time including 95 hours pilot in command, then crack on with the ATPL writtens, 14 subjects usually spread out over the period of 6 - 12 months. However, more and more people seem to be getting their PPL's and then going straight into the ATPL written study, then doing their hour building requirements, night and all that.

I seem to recall under the old system that you had to have a PPL and 100 hours or something like that to start the ATPL writtens, however, under JAR I do believe that rule no longer stands, someone please confirm. As long as you have an ICAO PPL you can crack on with the ATPL writtens.

I think with the above in mind, it would be a nice idea to get the ATPL writtens out of the way on completion of your PPL, and then just go for gold with the flying, at least then you will have little or no gaps between your hour building/flying training. I currently hold around 135 hours TT, but have left myself around 25 hours PIC to do once I have finished the ATPL ground school, then have planned to go staright into the CPL.

As for the actual requirements for the issue of your ATPL I am not sure. All I know that it is 1500 hours TT, but am not sure of the specifics, i.e. night, PIC, cross country IFR etc.

Hope the above helps :D.

Father Mulcahy
9th Jul 2002, 19:36
That's actually about four questions in one, and none of them are quick to answer. Try a search, this topic has come up more than once recently - be prepared for loads of contradicting advice.

Firstly, get a copy of Clive Hughes book - Guide to getting a commercial pilot licence - worth it's wait in gold.

Secondly, it's up to you how you go about it, some suggest an IMC course, other's go straight for the exams and leave a lot of hour building to later to brush up for the CPL course.

Me - did my PPL, built up about 20 more hours P1 and then enrolled in a IMC course with the intention of slowly building hours before doing a distance learning ground school.

However, broke my leg 10 weeks ago, - can't fly, so for something to do I enrolled in the distance learning course straight away (getting ready for the first lot of exams). Figured I might as well use my time constructively. However, and here's my point - BE FLEXIBLE, there is plenty of ways to go about getting a modular CPL/IR.

Hope that little rant helps...

I'm away to tape a bin bag around my cast now... :eek:

ri5
9th Jul 2002, 19:43
thanks for the advice cat 3 autoland.im planning on starting the writtens when i come back from florida.i have the leave and money now so im going to go over this summer and go for it.im thinking of at least 75 hours.50 in the c150 and 25 under instrument instruction in the warrior .do you think the 25 under instrution is worthwhile would it stand towards the ir or cpl back in europe.a lot of people have told me its a waste of time just flying around looking out the window and have recommended doing the faa ir.personally i dont agree with this. what about the multi rating will i leave it till after the writtens???????

CAT3C AUTOLAND
9th Jul 2002, 19:54
Ri 5,

Interesting. I have not done the IMC or IR, but a few people I was with in the states have done exactly that, the FAA IR I mean. Good thing about it, is that once you have passed it, you can fly IFR all round the states, fly airways, instrument approaches etc. Personally, I see no harm in doing this, however, someone who knows more than me may beg to differ.

With regard to the 25 hours of instruction bit, I think that is a great idea. I have recently returned from the US after hour building and licence revalidation, and spent around 10 hours with an instructor. I enjoyed the 10 hours with the instructor more than the burning holes in the sky for 30 odd hours. This was simply due to the fact the instructor made me work hard, and did not allow those bad habits to set in. Like I said I am not instrument rated, however we did a couple of ILS approaches and VOR tracking which was a good experience for me. On saying all of the above, I would imagine your 25 hours of instruction would depend on the quality of your instructor. Whilst in the US I was lucky to have one that took the professional approach, which rubbed off on me. Even though I had nearly 100 hours under my belt before I arrived, I actually felt that I came away with quite a few new skills :). I still have those dam checklists imprinted in my brain!:)

We are always learning!!:D

By the way, I was too flying the Warrior, good aeroplane!

Also, I am not sure what the benefits are from holding insturment time in the US is, i.e. validity in the UK, that is a CAA question.

ETOPS773
10th Jul 2002, 11:26
ri5,
The hour building sounds like a good sensible idea,but I think you`d probably learn more if you did fewer hours in more locations..75 hours in one place would maybe not be as beneficial as 25-35 hours in different locations.
I think if your aiming to go commercial,each flight should be educational and challenging..and lets face it,your going to know the area like the back of your hand pretty quickly..and bad habits might kick in,if you move around a bit,you`d always be on your toes and more alert.
How long will you be doing the hour building for??..75 hours is alot,hope 4-5 weeks at least planned or your going to burn youself out!!!
FAA IR/CAA IMC would seem a good idea..when you come back home..you can make the most of our notouriously bad weather and bluntly its very good challenging fun at times with the IMC,and the FAA IR will give you a great start for your JAA IR.

God luck with it all though.

Gin Slinger
10th Jul 2002, 18:02
...and now an FAA IR is now convertible to one of the JAA varity without doing a full 55 hr approved course.