PDA

View Full Version : Harrier patch

Dave Haggas
7th Mar 2017, 20:44
Dear Gents, I'm in the middle of creating a fully suited Mannequin as an Harrier pilot circa 1980s.
I'm struggling to find the Harrier patch. The one that was on the left upper arm. I believe it was also the hours patch too?

Does anyone here know where I may be able to find one?
This is the one that was used GR 3/T4 era...
Also I'm trying to find out what was actually in the pouches on the life preserver?
Any help gratefully received. Smaller pouch on the right, bigger pouch on the left.

NutLoose
7th Mar 2017, 21:45
No patches on ebay

Dave Haggas
7th Mar 2017, 22:29
I've looked all over and simply can't find anywhere. There must be plenty of old ones somewhere?!

NutLoose
8th Mar 2017, 04:02
These them?

RAF Patch 1 F Squadron Royal Air Force Joint Force Harrier GR7 (http://www.airforcecollectables.com/RAF-Patch-1-Fighter-Squadron-Royal-Air-Force-Joint-Force-Harrier-1P-01UK-1RAF-01SQN-2OP-0001SQ-04.htm)

RAF Patch 20 Squadron Royal Air Force Harrier Force Strike Wittering GR 7 (http://www.airforcecollectables.com/RAF-Patch-20-Squadron-Royal-Air-Force-Strike-Harrier-Force-GR-7-1P-01UK-1RAF-01SQN-2OP-0020SQ-02.htm)

RAF Patches Royal Air Force Squadron Tac Ops detachment Collectibles (http://airforcecollectables.com/RAF-Squadron-Tac-Patches-Ops-Detatchments-Commemorative_c21.htm)

Cows getting bigger
8th Mar 2017, 06:29
I think in the GR3/4 days it was more like this one as far as colour scheme is concerned. This particular one seems to be pretty well bombed-up and is possibly for the GR5/7!!

http://www.airforcecollectables.com/images/13636229809751890233241.jpeg

In fact, here's a video snapshot of Kiwi wearing the patch (3 Sqn late 80s)

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/dlwrwCj-A94/hqdefault.jpg

Pouches - Hmmm, vague recollection that the left was the PLB.

http://armyradio.com/images/D/d_568.jpg

wiggy
8th Mar 2017, 06:43
? 80's the standard LSJ ("life preserver" ) it was the PLB on one sideside, miniflare pack in the other. Like cows says I think the PLB was on the left.

Dave Haggas
8th Mar 2017, 06:44
It does look similar to the one you pictured but needs to be the early one as in the video.
I wonder if any ex Harrier drivers kept theirs and they are in a draw somewhere....

Tashengurt
8th Mar 2017, 08:02
Regarding the lsj pockets, the left one should have a round hole in the bottom. This is where the PLB cover protruded through.
The right pocket contained mini flares and heliograph.

ExAscoteer
8th Mar 2017, 11:52
The right pocket contained mini flares and heliograph. And a whistle and Ground to Air Codes if mempry serves.

Tashengurt
8th Mar 2017, 11:56
Not in my time ExAscotteer.
The whistle was taped to the lifting webbing and the codes were in the heliograph pack.

lsh
8th Mar 2017, 12:43
FLOWSTREAM!

gr4techie
8th Mar 2017, 13:54
Some 3 Sqn, 4 Sqn and RAF Wittering crest patches...

Terrane Ltd. - Official Supplier to the World's Armed Forces (http://www.terrane.co.uk/Embroidered-Badges/HARRIER/list/cat-f4)

BTDTGTTShirt
9th Mar 2017, 10:51
Ish
FLOWSTREAM spot on

Became FLOWHER POT when we changed from SARBIE to PLB
Flares
Light
Oral Inflate
Whistle
Heliograph
Emergency Codes
Razor
PLB
Operating handle
Toggle and Lifeline

Dave Haggas
9th Mar 2017, 21:26
I appreciate all your help gentleman with this information. If by chance anyone here has or knows the whereabouts of myself getting hold of any of the above listing, please do get in touch. I'm happy to pay for said items. The only item I do have is the correct whistle and line that it is attached to!
Also if any ex Harrier pilots have a set of cloth badges, by that I mean name, Squadron etc that they would want imortalised on a mannequin, do please get in touch.
I've a name badge that's green with 1(f) sqn John Hickie. I've no idea who he is? It could simply be a made up badge?
It would be nice to have a genuine chap portraid here?

HugoFirst
10th Mar 2017, 09:00
Dave, you have a PM.

bonajet
10th Mar 2017, 10:44
Hello Dave - John Hickie was the GLO on 1(F) - an Army major posted in as the Ground Liaison Officer.
You might get more responses re-kit if you explained what the mannequin is going to be used for and where.

Dave Haggas
10th Mar 2017, 20:07
Thank you all for your help with this request. Thank you also Bonajet for your comment.
Regarding my initial post. I own a Mk9 Harrier T4 ejection seat. It has been an ongoing project since 2006. It is now complete and even has that hard to find item a rocket pack installed.
I'm a stickler for detail. It's in the nature of my job, I repair carbon fibre mainly for the Motorsport sector. It's my own company.
The seat has every detail that it should have, even down to the apron which would be fitted on the rear seat when a solo flight was in order.
So regarding the pilot figure. It seems natural to me to have such a thing stood next to the seat.
Location is in my workshop. I have an eight year old son who simply loves the seat, we have the manuals. He loves wearing the helmet. He says he wants to be a pilot, as his Dad, me, failed on that score. I was land bound during my time in the RAF.
My interest started way back when I was 12. The Falklands war was on and that started my interest in Harriers. My late Father took me to various establishments up and down the country, especially Wittering. He had an interest in aircraft and all things mechanical, ex REME.
Many days were spent in Mr Lambs field watching those Harriers. We even had visits inside for me to take detail photos as I used to make models for exhibition. I converted the 1/24th Airfix Harrier GR1 into a T4. It took a year to do. It resulted in me attaining the Junior champion award at the IPMS nationals in 1985. I digress.
So regarding the reason for the request, I think back to when my Dad, God bless him used to encourage me in an interest. I'd like to think I'm doing similar.
Sorry for the long post!

Dave Haggas
14th Mar 2017, 19:31
Sorry to have to flog this again but I've located a very correct but empty life preserver. Would anyone have any pictures of everything I need to fill both pouches please? I have the correct whistle but that is all.
Also if anyone has any of said items they would like to sell, please get in touch.
I'm trying to depict 1980-1985 era. Many thanks.

OMG Itz Fulovstarz
31st Mar 2017, 13:51
Sorry for resurrecting an oldish thread -

Dave,

Did you ever get the Harrier patch you were looking for? There's a GR.3 one on eBay at the minute:-

SEA Harrier RAF Royal Air force 200+ hours used patch vlkr | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEA-Harrier-RAF-Royal-Air-force-200-hours-used-patch-vlkr-/302268176125?hash=item46609656fd:g:3jAAAOSww3tY3TmW)

Hope that helps,
M

Haraka
31st Mar 2017, 16:56
I think on my time on Harrier Force (Mid - Late 70's ) we were a bit more focussed on getti
ng the job done then badging ourselves up like the Spammies.

Flap62
1st Apr 2017, 20:56
Bit harsh surely Haraka? You never wore any sort of badge? Strandard fit surely, wings, name badge, Harrier patch left sleeve, Sqn badge right sleeve. Hardly spam!

Haraka
2nd Apr 2017, 07:10
You never wore any sort of badge? Standard fit surely, wings, name badge, Harrier patch left sleeve, Sqn badge right sleeve. Hardly spam!
Not on my cabbage kit.

BEagle
2nd Apr 2017, 07:17
Howzit, Haraka! For a short 6 weeks in the Summer of 1975, I held with 20 Sqn at Wildenrath (and with Mogwi in Harrier sites). Were you there then?

The 20 Sqn T-bird was U/S the whole time I was there though - so the only flying I got was with the AAC in a Beaver.

Haraka
2nd Apr 2017, 10:35
Hi Beags, I joined HF at Wildenrath in April 76, then did the move up to Gűtersloh. Yes, Mogwi was on Harrier sites, visiting supermarkets I would think.

BEagle
2nd Apr 2017, 11:43
Hi Haraka,

In my innocence, I once said to him "Why not just clear out a few supermarkets in time of war, park the Harriers inside and fly from the car park?"

It all went rather quiet - I guess that 'someone' had already thought of that...:hmm:

Dave Haggas
4th Apr 2017, 19:36
Thanks for all the replies to the thread. I just missed out on the correct Harrier patch on stateside Ebay by 50 cents. I put a fairly large bid on but wasn't there at auction end. So if anyone has one?
I've had a pair of boots with flaps kindly donated by an ex 1 sqn boss, what a gentleman indeed.
So last thing needed to complete is said patch. Please help!

Dave Haggas
18th Apr 2017, 18:04
As before, still looking for that patch.
Mannequinn is complete with the exception of this piece.

Andreas Menzies
14th Aug 2021, 22:13
Hello Dave - John Hickie was the GLO on 1(F) - an Army major posted in as the Ground Liaison Officer.
You might get more responses re-kit if you explained what the mannequin is going to be used for and where.

Sadly John passed away 14/07/2021. His requiem mass will be held on Monday 16th august 2021 in Oakham at st Joseph’s Catholic Church

Mogwi
15th Aug 2021, 16:05
Sorry to hear of GLO’s passing. Many a jolly jape with him in the past. If anyone is going along, please pass my best to the family.

Mog

noprobs
15th Aug 2021, 18:12
Will do Dave.

Mogwi
16th Aug 2021, 09:44
I think this is the type you are after. Sadly not available.

Mog
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/272x204/harrier_patch_d194916d0455eb58942f61ec987178543329d103.jpg

Haraka
16th Aug 2021, 11:32
The GLOs were a piece of work. I remember Bill Axworthy giving a Taceval situation brief in the 70's without even reading the script "They're always the bloody same !"
In an earlier incarnation in East Africa he had a local as a discip. NCO who was "very good" . A chap by the name of Idi Amin........

Dave Haggas
27th Aug 2021, 21:06
I think this is the type you are after. Sadly not available.

Mog
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/272x204/harrier_patch_d194916d0455eb58942f61ec987178543329d103.jpg
Thank you for resurrection of this. Mogwi, thank you for the picture and thank you also for your time regarding signing my sons book. You may recall me dropping by the house a while back?
I have located the patch through a very decent ex Harrier pilot. An absolute gentleman.

Mogwi
28th Aug 2021, 09:38
Glad you found one, Dave.

mog

GracePlant
13th Nov 2021, 21:34
Hi Dave, my name is Grace and I am John Hickie’s goddaughter. Unfortunately, as you can see below, John passed away in the summer and has left us missing the most wonderful man. I would love to talk to you about the name badge and what it looks like!

I appreciate all your help gentleman with this information. If by chance anyone here has or knows the whereabouts of myself getting hold of any of the above listing, please do get in touch. I'm happy to pay for said items. The only item I do have is the correct whistle and line that it is attached to!
Also if any ex Harrier pilots have a set of cloth badges, by that I mean name, Squadron etc that they would want imortalised on a mannequin, do please get in touch.
I've a name badge that's green with 1(f) sqn John Hickie. I've no idea who he is? It could simply be a made up badge?
It would be nice to have a genuine chap portraid here?