PDA

View Full Version : We Won WWII, It All Belongs To Us!!

LeadSled
6th Mar 2017, 09:01
Folks,
It looks like the ex-military payroll of CASA has increased again. I am advised that the new "Airspace" guy is ex-military, with very little civil experience.

I am certain that he, personally, is a great guy, but with the greatest of respect to him, when you have spent your substantive career to date in the taxpayer funded cost plus military environment, the civil imperatives of cost containment and cost control just does not come naturally.

Across the board, the military influence in CASA and Airservices seems to be increasing, not decreasing, the last thing a struggling industry needs.

It is not as if civil airspace management (or the law) is crying out for RAAF expertise, or, at least, ATSB doesn't think so.

Indeed, if we enjoyed the airspace "ownership" arrangements in US, Canada of most western countries, we would not have needed a very expensive and highly controversial "OneSKY" project, because there wouldn't have been "TwoSKY" in the first place ---- and as the RAAF have signaled that they are going to maintain their controller force, maybe it is only going to be "OneandahalfSKY" , anyway --- if it ever eventuates.

When? Oh! When!? are we going to hire into these vital senior position people with the extensive background and experience, including reform, that can give Australia the airspace flexibility that places like the US and Canada take for granted.

Tootle pip!!

mostlytossas
6th Mar 2017, 12:04
Agree entirely. Everytime we get ex military people running the show,we seem to get increased costs for things GA does not need,along with over regulation and control. After all we do it this way in the military and this is the only way it should be done whatever the cost right? Not!

Flying Binghi
7th Mar 2017, 00:34
Perhaps with the terrorism threat to Oz airspace an "ex-military guy" is just what's needed..:)

aroa
7th Mar 2017, 00:44
Bingles... I'm sure by now any 'terrorism threats to Oz airspace' are well catered for already.
Look at some of the surveillance gear that is up and about.

Non commercial...ex RAAF people in aviation top spots have been one disaster after another.
Need I remind you of past McComic and recent Skidmark.
Cost the industry bucket loads...for what ???
Just more bs regs, paperwork and costs.

Ultralights
7th Mar 2017, 03:05
Ex Military will breed more ex military. they like to hire their own over more qualified civilian candidates.

Old Fella
7th Mar 2017, 06:33
I see the "anti-ADF" brigade is on the march again. Of the five previous posters only one could reasonably claim to have extensive civil experience. One has a CPL/UL qualification and the other three leave it to our imagination as to whether or not they have aviation experience. Just because a former ADF pilot has not been employed in the civil environment it does not automatically follow that he has only ever been exposed to military ATC. Some RAAF pilots, especially those flying with 34 Squadron and the Transport Squadrons, would likely have as much if not more hours in civil airspace (Australian and International) than many civil pilots. The point made by Lead Sled regarding "cost containment and cost control" not coming naturally is, generally, a valid one.

My question to the detractors is "How much do you know of the person of whom you are being critical"? My guess would be "Not much"

alphacentauri
7th Mar 2017, 06:42
Old fella,

I was going to post something similar.....I reckon he'll do fine.

My question also to the detractors is, exactly how much do any of you know about airspace design?...play the ball not the guy

Pinky the pilot
7th Mar 2017, 09:34
FWIW; The Examiner of Airmen who conducted my CPL Flight test back in '85 was a former Fighter Jock with the RAAF (Tony F) and he put me 'through the wringer' in no uncertain terms.:eek::uhoh:

Failed me on my first attempt:sad: (justifiably so!) and my second attempt was done over two separate flights which totalled just over 6 hours!:eek:

To this day I firmly believe it was the best thing that could have happened to me! I learned more in those Flights than in the actual CPL training.:ok:

This is not to say though, that I believe that anyone else would have found the same treatment I received beneficial.

However, with the benefit of over 30 years of hindsight, I'm glad he did what he did!:ok:

As for the current situation upon which this thread is concerned, I am ambivalent. Let's see how he goes before we start criticising.

Sunfish
7th Mar 2017, 21:02
I know there are some great people in the RAAF including my DIL. However with only one or Two exceptions, I've found that ex RAAF people who gravitate to other Government institutions are, to put it tactfully, sub optimal human beings of the North Korean border guard temperament.

However, it is a long stretch of the bow to blame the RAAF for all of CASA's problems.

onetrack
8th Mar 2017, 02:27
It's a little unfair to throw stones at someone with a military background, who has been appointed to a civil position, before they have imprinted their style of management on the organisation.

Military people have been taught discipline, even junior NCO's are taught personnel-handling techniques, and military officers receive an extensive range of training in many fields, including management of sizeable numbers of personnel.

However, the individual persons character plays a large part in how they perform. Ex-Military officers are often arrogant, expect their decisions to never be questioned, and expect unswerving, dog-type loyalty from underlings. The civil world is vastly different.

In addition, many ex-military officers lack initiative, and the ability to come up with innovative ideas and concepts and to push the advantages of new ideas.
Many are happy to be cocooned in the protective envelope of a large organisation, where personal responsibility for stuff-ups is limited to military discipline and the related charges.

However, there are some brilliant ex-military officers who have achieved greatness and outstanding records in civil life - including aviation.
Unfortunately, there appear to be very few ex-military men who have achieved outstanding records in the fields of civil aviation control and safety reform, and execution of improved and simplified administration of same. It will probably take an American to do that in Australia.

Colmar Bruntons survey of "Stakeholder Relationship Health" to CASA, reveals "overwhelming negativity" amongst survey respondents in many areas of CASA's operations, and recommendations on where substantial improvements are needed.

It will take a strong leader to overcome the organisations inertia towards change and improvements, as well as a good understanding of how to initiate those recommended changes with gusto. I wish the new appointee all the best, the challenge is immense.

https://www.casa.gov.au/file/170606/download?token=-oNhvF36

40years
8th Mar 2017, 10:04
One track, we've tried Americans - Leroy Keith and Bill Pollard spring to mind. Came and went like ripples on the pond.

Dick Smith
8th Mar 2017, 10:13
The best change man we have had in the last 40 years was Ron Cooper. He saved the industry tens of millions. He was ex RAAF.

So there are some good ones without doubt. Here's hoping this new bloke is like Ron.

aroa
9th Mar 2017, 04:09
A major part of CAsA's problems can be sheeted home to the long-term, career bureaurats, rusted on bits of the Iron Ring, that brooks no challenges.

Ministers and Boards my come and go, but WE ultimately rule, and have done for decades...much to the gross detriment of the Australian Aviation industry and at great cost to the taxpayer.

How will it change ? Will it ever?