PDA

View Full Version : New "Red Air" for Australian Defence Force

TBM-Legend
6th Mar 2017, 07:43
Australian target supplier and Canada's Discovery Air have been awarded a two year contract for three Alpha Jets to supply "Red Air" etc to the ADF based at Williamtown RAAF Base.

bakseetblatherer
6th Mar 2017, 07:52
A two year trial, apparently

Discovery Air Defence Services - Discovery Air Defence and Air Affairs Australia Win Jet Air Support Trial Contract in Australia (http://www.discoveryair-ds.com/page?a=1907&lang=en-CA)

Treble one
7th Mar 2017, 13:25
Can I ask why something like Alpha jets (or Hawks for that matter) would be used for 'Red Air'-not specifically for the ADF, but for any AF?

Surely any real 'Red Air' threat would be of a faster, more sophisticated 4th/5th gen fighter nature, with much more advanced sensors/weapons systems to boot-or something more in line with hardware that the aggressor squadrons use in the US (F-15/16's)?

I believe there was talk about 100 squadron re-equipping with Tranche 1 Typhoons (although they seem destined to equip dedicated AD squadrons).

Is this merely a cost/training requirement issue, or is there a genuine good reason to use jets of this type?

Thank you.

Runaway Gun
7th Mar 2017, 21:51
If I could answer this with only one word: COST.