PDA

View Full Version : Flying for the US Army?

TIMTS
9th Jul 2002, 17:35
I have heard lots of rumors lately about the US Army needing heli pilots. Some guys said that if you enlist with a civilian CPL(H) it's Ft. Rucker next stop.

Can anyone confirm this?

And for you current\ex-army pilots out there, is flying for the army something to consider?
I am thinking pay, flight-time and such.

Seriously considering to enlist if they let me fly...

B Sousa
9th Jul 2002, 18:13
It depends on what you want out of it. I can only speak for those days gone by many years. I had fun and made good money. I now get a check every month just for breathing air. Something that has been brought up on other threads as of late (retirement).
Some of the guys who are currently flying in the Army can give you the latest. I do feel that they will mention, there are some real good points and then there are "additional duties" which take away from the enjoyment of flying. Further that numerous deployments from the U.S. playing World Policeman must weigh heavy on a family life, more so than what I was used too.
I knew I was in for fun when I got into a Cobra Cockpit and saw Mud on the pedals. So if you dont want to get your boots too muddy, you may want to look at other branches, namely Air Force where camping out is which Ramada Inn are We going to tonight, or the Navy/Coast Guard. Lots of Water, little Mud....

Good Luck
(ORWAC 70-28)

flygunz
9th Jul 2002, 19:42
I take it you are a US citizen otherwise it would be pointless posting? I flew as an IP a few years back and enjoyed it, but then I didn't have to do back to back Korea which I'm told has been added to with Afghanistan. The point I'm making is that they have been short of pilots due to a retention problem for some time so expect to be busy. The work ethic may be something you are familiar with but it takes some getting used to, on the other hand you get to fly an 'advanced' type like a CH47 or Blackhawk or even better the AH64.
You also get to shout "Sir" at every opportunity followed by "yes Sir" even louder which is good fun but wear earplugs!
Also it seems like a requirement to chew tobacco and spit into clear containers, carry it around until warm, then leave it for someone else to clean up! The stains on the ramp are not necessarily oil marks!!
When you go to Fort Rucker dont go out at night too far from fighter town, there's critters out there!!!!!!!
Good luck.;)

SASless
9th Jul 2002, 21:25
Advanced types...the CH-47? Errrr....advanced as in evolutionarily advanced? But, still the Queen of the Skies!

Good advice so far....no glamour...lots of hard work at times...great risk at times....but if you tough it out and don't get yer whack copped....a retirement at the end of it all.

You must recall however, there is a bit of unpleasantness out there and you may be called upon to stick your neck out for Mom, apple pie, and the Flag....with no promise you will not earn a posthumous promotion. That comes with the turf and must be factored into the equation.

Decide where your comfort level is and make an enlightened decision...I made my in '67, had two combat tours , got medevacced on the second one, have a disability pension as a result and really do not regret one minute of it. Except maybe going with the blonde Oz gal to the pub in her neighborhood and meeting her hubby quite by chance and surprise!

The modern Army does some pretty interesting stuff nowadays and you would be well served to get your experience there. It will be a way to build hours and licenses if you perservere. Apply yourself and remember the important thing......GO FIXED WING!

Compare an American Airlines Captain's paycheck and retirement to the most senior PHI or Air Log pilots.....then make up your mind what to do. Afterall, the Air Force sees the same battlefield from way up high.....Army helicopter pilots are looking at the whites of their beady little eyes!

Go watch BlackHawk Down! before you get too Gung Ho! Not trying to rain on your parade here....just trying to bring some reality into it. Bad guys have good days too!

flygunz
10th Jul 2002, 14:31
SASless, I agree that the CH47 is no new kid on the block but after a pilot graduates from the 67 they all take an 'advanced' transition even if they then fly a desk.
Ps, I forget to include the 58d in that group.