PDA

View Full Version : GA Charter Pilot - How to start.

vcptnathans88
5th Mar 2017, 19:31
Hi guys,

So I've been watching 'steveo1kinevo' a lot on Youtube, and I'm also what you may call an accomplished flight simulator pilot. I've always had a flying bug and would love nothing more than to become a pilot in some form.. However I have a pre-existing medical issue with my left eye, being born with a squint which I had surgery for as a child and wore glasses for much of my younger years. Nowadays I don't wear any glasses as I find I can cope very well without them, my job requires a lot of driving and precise service engineer type things to fix etc.

My question is where the heck do I start, I know I need lessons and medicals etc, but is there any kind of scholarships/burseries etc.

Serving member of the Air Training Corps (Adult Staff), don't know if there is anything there....

chevvron
6th Mar 2017, 13:42
First off, get a PPL to see if you have the aptitude. Unless you can find someone with a 'cadet pilot' scheme (and I suspect you may be too old for this) you will need to pay for it. If you are some sort of engineer, this may be possible in kind rather than with lots of money.

vcptnathans88
6th Mar 2017, 19:23
Well I know I need to start lessons to acquire a PPL, shame that simulator hours don't count... cadet pilot schemes, yep I missed the boat by a few years.. I'm a gas service engineer may try and get a hanger contract for my boss...... hmm may be an expensive doo...

hobbit1983
7th Mar 2017, 08:43
One route would be;

Modular CPL/IR, along the lines of
PPL, hourbuilding/ATPL theory, night rating, ME CPL, ME IR.

Then instruct or paradrop to get the 700 hours required for single pilot CAT captain.

Then a chieftain/cessna 310/p68 job flying cargo, survey, charter, organs etc before moving up to king air, jet and so on.

The route still exists but is a lot less common than it used to be.

Sim hours don't count for the PPL for very good reasons!

VariablePitchP
7th Mar 2017, 09:03
Agree with everything said about simulator hours I'm afraid. Playing FSX at home doesn't scratch the surface of real flying despite how good your sim is. Would you be happy to get on a bus if the driver was on his first shift and had never actually driven on a real road?

Don't write off sponsored schemes, you are certainly not too old for those! You don't want to fly jets so no need to look at Virgin/BA etc but consider schemes like the West Atlantic cadet scheme which is modular and after a couple of years you'll be licensed, debt free and able to fly whatever you fancy.

Otherwise you ought to consider the 'classic' modular route; PPL, CPL, MEIR if you fancy etc. For general GA without instrument ratings you should be fine with a little over £25k if you're careful and consider hour building in the States for example.

It can definitely be done, age isn't a barrier and shouldn't be seen as such.

andy148
7th Mar 2017, 09:15
Hey,

Dont mean to be rude but how old are you?

Most cadet schemes now only have a lower age limit, and if there is an upper age limit it is around 55 yrs old. Having sat the Virgin interview at CTC most of the candidates on my day were late teens and early 20's, on the Easyjet day they were considerably older. I found the Easy jet assessment much better than the Virgin one as I had more in common with the people on it. Most were married and had mortgages etc, as opposed to uni debt.

For me I'm closer to 40 than i am 35, and age was never mentioned in any of the interviews. In fact both interviewers were interested in my past and experiences, don't count yourself out of the running quite just yet.

Go for it, what have you got to loose. Even if offered a job you can still say no.

Lynx320
7th Mar 2017, 10:51
I can only confirm what andy148 wrote above here...I am older than him, quit a well paid job and got a place in one cadet scheme....long story short, believe in what you love and never lose the final target.

Good luck.

vcptnathans88
7th Mar 2017, 11:33
OK let me square somethings aside for you all.

I am 28years old, of course I know that simulator hours on FSX don't count otherwise everyone with a joystick and knowledge will be in on it..... It was said with a hint of 'I wish'.... I honestly didn't know about the upper age limits and it's something I would be interested in but I guess I need to pass a medical given what i said in my OP.

I can probably put some feelers out in and around The RAF training, UASs, Pilot schemes etc... Spoke to missus and whilst she wasn't exactly over the moon as of yet it's a dream of mine and as they say we only once.

I'm certainly willing to research into this even if it comes to nothing for what ever reason, the only reason I ever counted myself out of it was due to poor eyesight as a child and lack of decent grades at school..... Worth a shot whatever the cost.... nothing to loose..... yet.

PURPLE PITOT
7th Mar 2017, 17:29
Go to your CAA and obtain a class1 medical. If you pass, then think about how to continue. If not "the dream" dies right there.

gordonquinn
8th Mar 2017, 12:20
Hi vcptnathans88,

Do you know steveo1kinevo made a video talking about how he got into his current position? I'll get the link later if you want it.

Basically he got his PPL, got his CPL/IR etc, built up about 400 TT flying for fun then moved through some first offer roles building about 2000 hours, eventually got a position as captain flying smaller aircraft.

jamesgrainge
8th Mar 2017, 12:43
Unfortunately west Atlantic scheme is withdrawn at this time. Which is a shame as it looked like a good one. Sorry

vcptnathans88
8th Mar 2017, 13:16
Yeah I watched that. I figured it was slightly different in the states.... plus with my squint/lazy eye think its time i went to seek advice and medical advice... dont mind wearing specs again if itcmeans i can fly as it dosnt affect my life or perpheral vision

MaverickPrime
8th Mar 2017, 17:46
DO NOT do anything until you get the medical, your plans won't get of the ground, excuse the pun, if you have no medical!

vcptnathans88
8th Mar 2017, 20:07
That's my plan so think I need to carry on my current job and get my funds building up.... definitely something I want to do...

So just been looking more into the medical etc, looks like I need a class 1 medical, the AeMCs are all down in London, ok no problem either.... It would be a hell of a long day.... I'm going to try and book an eye test to for this weekend (although not really that urgent at the moment). Anybody here with a lazy eye that can fly.... it's mainly because of it I shrugged it off..

Council Van
9th Mar 2017, 09:08
Eye test guidance.

Looks a bit of a mine field I am afraid. I would down load the information on eye sight that the CAA provide and show this to your Optometrist and ask for their opinion as to wether you will be able to meet the required standards.

Visual system guidance material GM | UK Civil Aviation Authority (http://www.caa.co.uk/Aeromedical-Examiners/Medical-standards/Pilots-(EASA)/Conditions/Visual/Visual-system-guidance-material-GM/#eyeex)

With regards to GA jobs in the UK, they are few and far between. If you pursue a Commercial ticket then you will probably have to join the airlines to earn a good living.

Are all initial class one medicals only carried out at Gatwick now days?

vcptnathans88
9th Mar 2017, 09:38
Too right it's a mine field, I will admit not having worn glasses for so long hasn't left me with any noticible problems ie headaches etc. I will certainly look into it all very closely and try and get as much detail as I can and then go and have an eye test and chat with the Optometrist and see if it's even possible.... at least then I can say I tried to follow my dream... Never been to Gatwick :)