PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Cook.....?

Ride On
4th Mar 2017, 06:25
Hi All

Just wondering if the Pilots working there are a happy bunch these days, are you guys happy with your T&C's/ Roster etc..?

Do you have a seniority list is your company....?

You can PM me if it suites...!

Thank you in advance............! :hmm:

Superpilot
4th Mar 2017, 08:18
There's two distinct categories in Thomas Cook. The new guys who having come from some, comparatively speaking, bad places to work and those senior captains who started flying in the 80s and early 90s who have seen things to be a lot cushier in the past. Amongst the newer population of pilots, most people are very happy indeed. Ts & Cs are comparable to BA, almost everyone is in the base they desire and rostering works in tune with a scheduling agreement that would give MOL and McCall nightmares.

There is a seniority list, yes. We will have hired about 150 new FOs since Jan 2015. About 50 FOs waiting for a very long time for command (>12 years) have been promoted to Captain since then and appox 50 more upgrades due this year. They are working through the list thick and fast with some saying those who joined in Jan 2015 might be up for an opportunity within a year or two (a lot don't even have the hours!)

Recruitment has now ended for 2017 and in the next few years we will be focussing on cadet recruitment in the main to address what might otherwise turn out to be another age/experience problem (too many highly experienced FOs waiting for a command).

Hope this helps.

macdo
4th Mar 2017, 23:48
Superpilot puts a fairly balanced view on the current state of play. I'd add that although the politics of the place have improved (or appear to have) it is still a constant battle to maintain what we have, let alone improve things for the pilots. TC is probably in the top 4 of best places to work in the UK, but it won't be unless the pilots stick together and resist erosion of t&c's and maintain salary standards close to that of the top2.

A330B777
6th Mar 2017, 15:29
For cadets on 7/5;

Are you flying during the winter or completely off?

Are you considered permanent part-time?

I see 3 of Condors 753’s are joining the fleet. Are they recruiting for Airbus only or could you join the 757 fleet as well?

schooner
6th Mar 2017, 17:53
Winter completely off.
Permanent part time.
After 2 years you will be made full time, as negotiated and agreed with BALPA.
Airbus/Boeing, who knows!?

8th Mar 2017, 15:24
Macdo:
By the top 2, I assume you mean BA ( Discuss ) and Virgin. Fascinated to hear who's in 3rd!

A320baby
8th Mar 2017, 22:18
I'd say Air tanker are probably the best paid first officers in the U.K. (For a year one pay scale anyway)

recall_checked
8th Mar 2017, 22:54
Some air tanker FOs start on 40k rather than the 67k on PPJN. And there are a few other UK airlines that pay Y1 FOs more if you factor in duty pay etc which often makes up for a big chunk due to the little flying at air tanker. No denying its a good job though.

On another note, what is long haul like at TCX? Is it mainly bullets to the states and Caribbean?

A320baby
9th Mar 2017, 07:02
Regarding the 40k per year that is what the cadets are paid, now compare that to what cadets at virgin for year 1 😕

When I was at Air tanker whenever I did a trip I was also getting a trip allowance. If it was a military flight was roughly 2.50 per hour away from BZZ (If it was a 10 day trip this adds up) and if it was civilian (TCX) was roughly 3.30 per hour.
40 k a year for a cadet pilot is very very good money.
A year one Fo was starting on 70500£

Very nice company to work for

macdo
10th Mar 2017, 10:08
Macdo:
By the top 2, I assume you mean BA ( Discuss ) and Virgin. Fascinated to hear who's in 3rd!
IMHO, I'd say that TUI is number 3 when you look at the total package, rather than just headline salary. As is always the case, you have to look at all that is on offer, including career variety and progression. So, I'd still put BA at the top, VS next, the TUI and TCX next. AT is not a bad gig and it would suit some over the charter's. However, the rather easy life the guys have had over the last few years appears to be changing.

Mr Angry from Purley
10th Mar 2017, 17:47
Very nice company to work for

Nice to see some positive comments given other forum quotes on fatigue and commercial pressure.

ManUtd1999
11th Mar 2017, 09:53
in the next few years we will be focussing on cadet recruitment

Where do TCX hire cadets from? They advertised a scheme for modular pilots a few months back but other that is it just CTC? Any appetite to run their own scheme?

macdo
11th Mar 2017, 16:30
Thomas Cook Airlines UK Platinum Pilot Scheme (http://www.iagoplatinum.com/)

I'm told by those who must be obeyed, that this is the form of recruitment to be done next.

Ride On
23rd Mar 2017, 20:53
Hi All

Anybody care to share any info on the Compass testing assessment paper..?

Thank you in advance.