View Full Version : Candidates undergoing simulator tests as part airline recruiting

Tee Emm
3rd Mar 2017, 12:42
Re the continued recruiting by the airlines in OZ this year. Anyone care to advise what profiles and aircraft type are used by each operator when it comes to candidates assessment in the simulator (if used) as part of the interview process?

Particularly the Qantas profile for the test.

apache
4th Mar 2017, 12:00
Except for CX, I dont think it matters what type they are using.
CX expect you to be able to fly the 747sim.
Other operators are looking for you to learn and be able to identify your mistakes..... And correct them!
For example, can you climdan aircraft at 160kias? Can you convert that to a climb at 200kias AND 2000fpm? It doesn't matter what you have flown before..... It is power, attitude trim and scan scan scan scan.

All they want to see is that you are "trainable".

Good luck with all the interviews

404 Titan
4th Mar 2017, 12:28
apache

Care to explain your remark "except CX"?

DeltaT
4th Mar 2017, 18:05
All they want to see is that you are "trainable".

Despite having been trained as a pilot in the first place. :E :ugh:

framer
4th Mar 2017, 19:06
They also want to see that you have an appropriate demeanour on the flight deck. Some candidates change when they get in the flight deck and start barking orders or muttering away to themselves or other interesting behaviours that can cause problems ( usually communication) once on line.

apache
4th Mar 2017, 21:39
Titan,
Not many people I know have gotten into CX without hiring a 747 sim for an hour or two, and learning the basics of being able to fly a big jet.

Delta... Yes, despite being "trained" in the first place! They want to see that you can learn, and are not a stubborn headed mule.

404 Titan
5th Mar 2017, 14:05
apache

With all due respect CX's sim profile isn't any more difficult than any other airline in the region. A couple of circuits with ILS, missed approach steep turns and an OEI approach if you are coming in as DEFO. They are looking at ability, trainability, your rate of learning and your ability to learn from mistakes. It's not meant to be a walk in the park but isn't rocket science either.

Tee Emm
6th Mar 2017, 00:00
and your ability to learn from mistakes.

It's a bit difficult to learn from your mistakes in a 45 minutes simulator test when each flying sequence is different and you are not given a second chance to repeat the faulty sequence to see if you have learned from it.
For example you are given a steep turn and you cock it up. Next sequence is an ILS and the clock is ticking. A bit late now to learn from the mistake you made in the steep turns. :(

404 Titan
6th Mar 2017, 03:58
Tee Emm

There are two steep turns. One left and one right. If time was a problem for your assessment I'm sorry, but the normal profile has two steep turns and two ILS. If you were applying for a DEFO position the profile is a little more involved and the expectations of your abilities are obviously more than an SO interviewing for the TT stream. At the end of the day what they are looking for is no different than what QF, DJ and J* are looking for and what I mentioned in my previous post.