PDA

View Full Version : Travelling on duty - what class?

lelac
2nd Mar 2017, 08:19
Hey guys / gals, just wondering what is the current situation in our industry (corporate / business / private jets) pilots. When time comes for you to travel on the airlines for a recurrent training or for the usual base-return, which class is your company paying for you? Economy? Business class if flight is more than 4 hours...

EatMyShorts!
2nd Mar 2017, 09:39
Here it is Eco for flights shorter than 6 hours, otherwise Biz. Trouble is that our travel department has found out that you can airline to/from Dubai with Ukraine International via Kiev (B738), meaning that both legs are shorter than 6 hours... Quite disrespectful.

CL300
2nd Mar 2017, 10:49
They found out very fast lol. I remember these positioning tricks. Glad it has not changed (improved) grrr on the last 5 years. A bit like Enoba-Bordi FL 150 LoL !

Globally Challenged
2nd Mar 2017, 11:39
Our little team is put on Eco for short flights and prem-eco (or Business if Prem-eco is not available) for longer flights. Although there is no definition of what a longer flight is :-(

Other colleagues get business everywhere.

g450cpt
2nd Mar 2017, 11:42
We travel business class for all legs longer than 4 hours.

galaxy flyer
2nd Mar 2017, 11:57
Coach in North America, business outside. There are way too many advantages to business class other than comfort--priority bags, customs expedition, priority if flights get delayed or cancelled.

GF

Hawker 800
2nd Mar 2017, 19:37
UK based. Economy when domestic, always business when European/International.

ChickenHouse
2nd Mar 2017, 20:10
Here (UK small Biz) the rule is Eco on intracontinental, don't know what'll happen after Brexit, and Business on intercontinental.

212man
2nd Mar 2017, 21:18
I don't think Brexit involves moving the UK to a different continent, but let's see the bargaining terms first.....

Lucky8888
3rd Mar 2017, 02:31
Business class always.

Loud&Clear
3rd Mar 2017, 09:12
The cheapest they can get. And it seems to me that this is the new industry standard. LC

EatMyShorts!
3rd Mar 2017, 10:00
We are usually that busy that we get close to the 60 hour limit of weekly duty. For this reason our travel department cannot always book the cheapest flight home, because it may take too long to get to our gateway airport, busting the weekly duty limit.

Tray Surfer
3rd Mar 2017, 15:17
Economy as a rule, but depending on fare and what is cheapest.

Although, I have always positioned on my old commercial airline and still know a lot of people there, so as of yet, still to travel actually in Economy... ;)

ShyTorque
3rd Mar 2017, 19:25
You mean you get to FLY? We get to position by road and rail.

JTF
5th Mar 2017, 06:57
Under 10 hours of flight block time (not per segment) is economy. Over 10 is business or better. West coast based pilots get mostly business for international since both Europe and Asia are 10+ hours. East Coast based pilots at my company get a lot of almost ten hour economy to Europe.

Trim Stab
5th Mar 2017, 12:49
Economy class for us.

Flew back from Nigeria a few days ago - two other expat pilots I know were also in economy class.

There were also a few junior British High Commission people and a mid-thirties uk military officer on the flight - all in Business Class.

mutt
5th Mar 2017, 18:15
We usually deadhead in a 48 seater A319:) But for days off, its business or first depending on the destination/aircraft configuration. Gotta love seniority.

galaxy flyer
5th Mar 2017, 18:37
Funny story, our company, for awhile used 8 hour rule. Captain BS'd the travel agent to putting him in business. F/A and I were booked economy, BA, JFK-LHR. Really not an issue, only 5+45 and I'm only 5'9". I just curl up with and wait it out. At the departure lounge, Cappy gets called to the podium and told Business is oversold and gets upgraded! DOH!

GF

Jet Jockey A4
5th Mar 2017, 20:20
Business here.

Jackdaw
5th Mar 2017, 21:48
Business not always best. Dubai - UK they provided me with Business with Egyptair changing aircraft at Cairo. NOT recommended. Subsequent trips I chose to route non stop direct with Emirates in economy (similar cost to Business with Egyptair) - several hours quicker door to door, less chance of baggage missing the transfer, and yes EK economy was still more comfortable and less tiring (try sleeping through a few hours on the ground changing flights in Cairo). Of course Business in EK would have been better ! But normally I'd always prefer direct flights. Moral of the story - if given the chance to stipulate then make sure it is Business class in a direct flight if available.

FlyingGasMain
6th Mar 2017, 18:13
Unfortunately, its economy for us every time (with one minor exception), no matter how long the proceeding journey. Not the most popular policy the company operates.

Above The Clouds
6th Mar 2017, 20:51
Anything over 4 hours business and were possible direct flights, if business fully booked then first class.

RedRadish
9th Mar 2017, 16:54
Hey all, Economy here too. The days of business are long gone it seems unless you're lucky enough to fly for one of the Amiri Flights.