PDA

View Full Version : Recreational Pilot Helicopter (RPH) - Home Study Courses

Whimlew
28th Feb 2017, 16:15
I see three paths to being allowed to sit the Recreational Pilot Helicopter exam:

Option 1: Obtain certificate of graduation issued by an FAA certificated pilot school.

Option 2: Obtain a written statement from an authorized ground or flight instructor certifying that the applicant completed an applicable ground training course and is prepared for the knowledge test.

Option 3: Obtain a written statement from an authorized ground or flight instructor certifying that the applicant completed an applicable home study course and is prepared for the knowledge test.

Reference: FAA AIRMAN KNOWLEDGE TESTING - General Requirements (http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/media/testing_matrix.pdf)

My question is about option 3. Is anyone aware of any home study course material/packages relative to the RPH exam that is approved to fulfill this requirement, once study is completed?

hueyracer
28th Feb 2017, 17:58
Lets Start with this:

Do you already hold a student pilots certificate or a Sport pilot certificate?

FAR §61.96 (9)

Whimlew
28th Feb 2017, 19:56
Yes. I have a student pilot certificate and the ASA Helicopter Kit (http://amzn.to/2mpSUbK). But I don't know if this suffices... I assume it does though.

Gordy
28th Feb 2017, 20:49
These endorsements are only for the written knowledge test. This does NOT give you any aircraft authorization. You still need flight training.

Assuming you understood all that, then most flight instructors would probably do a quick test of you knowledge before signing you off to take the written test. You can use whatever books you like to study.

Whimlew
28th Feb 2017, 21:05
Thank you Gordy! That's the information I was looking for.

Whimlew
1st Mar 2017, 11:10
Looks like ASA supports authorization directly, "ASA requires that you submit two test scores reflecting an 80% or higher to receive your test authorization (endorsement). "