PDA

View Full Version : Locheed Hudson Vr and Vref speeds

Centaurus
9th Jul 2002, 13:09
Air Data Publications, of St Anne's-on-Sea, Lancashire used to publish copies of various military aircraft RAF Pilots Notes.
Anyone know where I could obtain/buy one for the Lockheed Hudson?
In particular I would like info on the recommended lift off speed at max BRW and flight manual recommended over-the-fence speed for normal amd one engine operation.

411A
9th Jul 2002, 17:26
Know a fellow who owns one Centaurus, will try to find out today if possible.
'Tis also for sale, 500 hr engines (R2800's), new wiring and paint, needs instruments/radios and interior. Actually is a PV2, but believe the same performance.

Feather #3
9th Jul 2002, 20:50
Oddly enuff, I just happen to have the said notes for the Hudson V to hand!

Takeoff: @18,500lb, "the aircraft can be eased off the ground at 60 knots IAS, but in practice it has been found advisable to wait until a speed of approximately 65 knots has been attained."

Overload, use 15% flap and 70-75kts.

Climb at 100 kts, cruise climb at 118kts

Landing: 70% flap at 75kts, also with engine-out.

Hope that helps. :D

G'day ;)

Centaurus
10th Jul 2002, 12:27
Feather 3. Fantastic - thanks a million. Just the info that I needed.

411A. Thanks also for info. I think that the aircraft you are referring to is the Harpoon - a much beefed up version of the original Hudson. Thanks for offer of the handbook but not needed now. My first flight ever was in a Hudson in 1948. Sat on the freight floor with no seat belt along with a few other kids who went up on a short test flight from Camden, NSW.
No one mentioned how to clear one's ears and it hurt like hell.

411A
10th Jul 2002, 16:19
Centaurus

Yes, you are quite right about the Harpoon. Much larger engines and much heaver, 33,000 pounds with a LOT of fuel...am told 14 hours worth at 240 knots/16,000ft.