PDA

View Full Version : Drone strike

bcgallacher
27th Feb 2017, 21:28
An Al Qaeda leader was killed yesterday by a drone strike. Photographs exist showing a car with a large hole in the roof but the windows intact. Either there was a failure of the missile to explode or some kind of new weapon was used. Anyone have knowledge of this?

Lonewolf_50
27th Feb 2017, 21:31
In what country did this occur?
Did someone roll the windows back up after the blast?
Could have been riding about with the windows down.

In other news, about a week and a half ago a car bomb went off in Baghdad and killed four of five dozen people (https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/16/world/middleeast/baghdad-car-bomb.html?_r=0). Doesn't seem to have made much news.

airpolice
27th Feb 2017, 22:06
I googled "Who gives a fork" and it seems the answer is nobody.

bcgallacher
28th Feb 2017, 03:26
Lonewolf - it appears to have taken place in Syria,there was no sign of an explosion,the rear window was intact. The damage was a large impact hole torn in the roof. The windshield was damaged inwards not outwards as you would expect.

Just This Once...
28th Feb 2017, 06:28
Brimstone can leave the windows and most of the bodywork intact, as an example.

Small and carefully formed warheads that detonate a short distance from their target do produce rather different effects from that of a simple blast/frag impact fused weapon.

gr4techie
28th Feb 2017, 10:39
Brimstone can leave the windows and most of the bodywork intact, as an example.

Small and carefully formed warheads that detonate a short distance from their target do produce rather different effects from that of a simple blast/frag impact fused weapon.

My understanding is that Brimstone / Hellfire was designed as an anti-tank shaped charge. Therefore focuses the "blast" forwards to create a molten jet that punctures a small hole through the armour.
Not a HE explosion that sends shrapnel or a concussion pressure wave out 360 degrees.

hoss183
28th Feb 2017, 10:42
Quote article: "Baghdad Car Bomb Kills Scores in Shiite Neighborhood"

I know it looks a bit run-down with rubbish all over the place, but thats a bit unkind ;)

Herod
28th Feb 2017, 12:39
If that picture, as published in the Times is correct, then Bloody H*ll. I knew the latest weapons were accurate, but I had no idea HOW accurate. Nasty man killed, no collateral damage whatsoever. Full marks.

Lonewolf_50
28th Feb 2017, 13:07
Lonewolf - it appears to have taken place in Syria,there was no sign of an explosion,the rear window was intact. The damage was a large impact hole torn in the roof. The windshield was damaged inwards not outwards as you would expect.
Very interesting hit, and if a shaped charge perhaps a look at the bottom of the car might reveal a great big hole? Thanks for the alert, seems to have worked without killing any bystanders.

bcgallacher
28th Feb 2017, 13:21
I think the drone just dropped a big rock on the car- £110,000 cheaper than a Brimstone!�� Seriously it will be interesting if we start seeing more air strikes like this,over the next while I will try to get images of similar drone strikes.

Davef68
28th Feb 2017, 13:59
So the 'drone strike' bit comes from AQ sources, so it may have been from a manned platform.

hoss183
28th Feb 2017, 14:26
Article for ref Drone strike through a car roof kills al-Qaeda second in command | World | The Times & The Sunday Times (http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/drone-strike-through-a-car-roof-kills-al-qaeda-second-in-command-zsknp7zjx)

I find it hard to believe that was ordinance. No blast damage, no fire or residue.

Roland Pulfrew
28th Feb 2017, 14:32
Picture from the front of the car in the Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/27/al-qaedas-deputy-leader-reportedly-killed-us-drone-strike-syria/)

fleigle
28th Feb 2017, 15:11
Obviously targeted by a Brit, as the strike is on the right hand side....:E:E:E
F

Lonewolf_50
28th Feb 2017, 15:40
Obviously, if it was a strike by a rock/inert object it could not have been the USAF. They'd still be out at Nellis trying to refine the TTP before using this exotic new weapon.
Abu al-Khair al-Masri, is believed to have been born in Egypt under then name Abdullah Mohammed Rajab Abd al-Rahman
Most of his school mates just called him dull. :E

Davef68
28th Feb 2017, 16:15
Article for ref Drone strike through a car roof kills al-Qaeda second in command | World | The Times & The Sunday Times (http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/drone-strike-through-a-car-roof-kills-al-qaeda-second-in-command-zsknp7zjx)

I find it hard to believe that was ordinance. No blast damage, no fire or residue.
Like one of those murder mysteries where the weapon turns out to be a knife made of frozen blood!

jolihokistix
28th Feb 2017, 16:20
Drone strike? Looks like something out of Robot Wars. As someone has said above, I wonder what the bottom of the car looks like.
Oh, and the road surface...

hoss183
28th Feb 2017, 16:25
Actually it could be a drone strike - If the drone kamekase'd into the roof ;)

ORAC
28th Feb 2017, 16:35
http://feeds.thetimes.co.uk/web/imageserver/imageserver/image/methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F1726ea32-fd1a-11e6-a22f-c31ef65384a0.jpg?crop=1013,675,-0,-0&resize=996

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2017/02/27/masri-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqZgEkZX3M936N5BQK4Va8RWtT0gK_6EfZT336 f62EI5U.jpg

bingofuel
28th Feb 2017, 16:55
Maybe it just went sideways into that tree and the Fire Service or their equivilent cut sections of the roof away to access the occupant to allow medical treatment and removal?

Herod
28th Feb 2017, 17:03
I prefer to think that our Ordnance it THAT good.

SPIT
28th Feb 2017, 17:09
Would it affect hie NO CLAIMS BONUS ???? :ok::ok:

Fareastdriver
28th Feb 2017, 17:59
I like the armour plate that the bloke with the red jersey has got. Reminds me of the stories of rear gunners who used to place a Morris hubcap between their legs.

jolihokistix
28th Feb 2017, 18:15
Far East, nice spot, but isn't that the back door?

MightyGem
28th Feb 2017, 20:38
Hellfire was designed as an anti-tank shaped charge. Therefore focuses the "blast" forwards to create a molten jet that punctures a small hole through the armour.
True, but it still makes a big bang. I think it would break the windows.
jvwmZX9pMZE

Octane
28th Feb 2017, 21:12
How on earth did they survive the missile strike?!

monkeytennis
28th Feb 2017, 21:50
It's a shaped charged warhead, not much shrapnel. Lots of video of people using Anti Tank missiles in Syria vs large groups of personnel and often many walking (running!) away from the blast.

They do make a frag sleeve for the Hellfire now though I think.

Melchett01
1st Mar 2017, 00:03
I would have said shaped charge version of the Hellfire rather than a blast frag, HE or MAC (thermobaric) shot if it was a US 'drone strike'. It really does look rather too clean though for my liking. That said, any bets on it being inter-extremist rivalry but blamed on US for ease and deniability? After all, the key extremist group formally known as Al Nusrah Front operate in Idlib, and given that last year they publically 'divorced' from the AQ franchise, why was AQ's 2ic in Idlib on ANF's turf otherwise?

Brat
1st Mar 2017, 00:10
The why’s and wherefores notwithstanding, good news and Job Done!