PDA

View Full Version : Jerez, Sorry I mean Hereth

M13
16th Jan 2001, 18:02
This is really aimed at people that are there already.

What is it like training at Jerez?
What's the atmosphere like, what does a typical week entail?
What is there to do for that small period of time that you are not studying?

Also for the Airtours cadets because I assume that you are all looking at this thread:

Can those that have their induction this month let the rest of us know how it goes/ what is involved? Please.

Also any juicy information that you find out like the fine print and the details of the contract. You can always email it to us if you feel more comefortable.

Another interesting thing is that the two year period that is spent with BRAL on the turbo-props could in effect mean that we are working for BA. That is if BA purchase BRAL as there are suggestions that they intend to.

There is an interesting thread on the rumors and news forum called something like BRAL and Brymon to join BA seniority list.

Sorry I went off on a tangent there but any views would be appreciated.

M13 LL

Mister Geezer
16th Jan 2001, 18:21
M13, I would like to join you on that request as well....

Can some people please help me out on these questions.

• Is the instructor shortage really as bad as people make it out to be? More importantly, are courses being extended due to this factor?

• I heard that the facility along with the airport is in a rather remote location with nothing to do outside the facility unless you hop in the car???

• Finally, just how buy is it at the moment?

These are points that I have discussed with people, however the word from the Horses mouth, so to speak, would help a lot!!!

MG

------------------
...For Radar identification, throw your your jumpseat rider out of the window...

Capt Wannabe
16th Jan 2001, 18:53
OK, here goes.
Training at Jerez is fine. Weather at the moment is a bit crap, but thereīs not much we can do about that. Atmosphere on site is on the whole very good, although as the place is getting bigger it has lost some of the sense of the close-knit community it had when I arrived. I think thereīs about 100 students here now so you know everones face even if you donīt know thier name.
For me a typical week is flying 2 days and groundschool for the other 3, and then the opposite the following week. This has changed now as the initial training is solid groundschool for upto about 18 weeks I think.
Friday nights are for getting drunk. Saturday mornings are for lying in, Saturday afternoons are for sitting around drinking tea/coffee or watching TV. Sundays are for study. Thatīs what I do anyway, and most people work along these lines. Of course once it gets hotter the pool and volleyball court will be used more.

Re shortage of flying instructors. There is a bit of a shortage, but this is having no visible impact on the training, and certainly at the moment there are enough to go around.

Re location. Yes it is remote. The only things within walking distance are the airport terminal, a small bar, and a brothel. Other than that itīs a car/taxi ride into town some 7km away. (Be nice to the people who own cars, and you wonīt go far wrong!)

Re busy. Itīs fairly busy, and expanding all the time. Flying schedule can be a pain at times, but on the whole there are enough aircraft to go round. Other annoying things can be the small dining room (the new one should open in a few weeks), and the terrible internet access.

To sum up, I like it here!!

------------------
CW

[This message has been edited by Capt Wannabe (edited 16 January 2001).]

Ken Woodchef
16th Jan 2001, 20:18
Aaaaaand cue Too Few Stripes.

Wee Weasley Welshman
16th Jan 2001, 22:57
What is it like training at Jerez?

** Hard work at times, swimming pools and beer at others.

What's the atmosphere like, what does a typical week entail?

** Depends on your personality. Some people over do the beer and sunshine act. Others are too miserable/poor/stressed to enjoy themselves. You work Mon - Fri alternating between groundschool and flying every other day apart from some months in full time groundschool.

What is there to do for that small period of time that you are not studying?

** Cheep beer, sunshine, beach, bars that donīt close, tennis, football, volleyball, pool, telly, cheep beer, leering at skantily clad girls perched pertly on scooters, cheep beer.

** If BA purchase BRAL I figure theyīll keep taking Airtours cadets without too many changes. However, when BRAL go all jet then they might not be able to take Cadets as they do now. Time will tell.

Good luck,

Capt Wannabe
17th Jan 2001, 01:23
WWW, I gather the gin is very reasonable too ;)

------------------
CW

theunknown
17th Jan 2001, 22:46
IS there a website for the school?

Wee Weasley Welshman
18th Jan 2001, 11:58
I *promise* you all a website will be up and running in 2 weeks time. DONīT ask why its taken so long.

M13
18th Jan 2001, 16:03
Thanks for all the useful info guys now all I need is for the Airtours Cadets to splii the beans on there experiences of the induction session.

Also one other burning question are there any facilities for basketball near the airfield?
If not I'll have to learn volleyball. Oh well at least I can jump.

Thanks everone, any more???

........M13