PDA

View Full Version : What was on at LCY last weekend?

paulo
9th Jul 2002, 11:27
I've been hearing stories of some kind of display? I was kind of surprised given the normal restrictions there re: single engine, signed off on 5 degree glideslope etc.

I'm assuming it happened under DA's

Sounded quite entertaining - wish I'd seen it!

ELondonPax
9th Jul 2002, 13:51
Yes - it was the LCY airshow last Saturday. The event is held annually. There is a small mention of it under ‘news’ at the official airport site. www.londoncityairport.com

The airport management regard the show (which I think was completely free) as an amenity for the local communities, rather than targeting it at the aviation enthusiast market, so it is not widely publicised outside of the local area. The show has a fund raising purpose too, they aim to raise cash for “Richard House Hospice”, a local charity, which supports terminally ill children.

Bright-Ling
9th Jul 2002, 15:48
It had it's licence halted for the duration (from 1200local) and became an unlicensed airfield, with no NAVAIDS (due to the funfair!) and a FISO service. But yes, odd that you can't fly into their in a single light prop 364 days of the year, then prob 15-20 doing so when unlicensed!!

Heard an inbound Messerschmitt being told to remain outside the City zone to the East which he duly did. If only the LCY zone was H24 back in the 1940's!!!

End of political un-correctness.