PDA

View Full Version : Philippine Airlines (Second Officer)

kingskate8
23rd Feb 2017, 16:26
Hello everyone i just some few questions regarding PAL second officer position I hope you guys can help me! I currently hold CPL licence multi/IFR in Canada and I went to college on top on that to get a Commercial Pilot Diploma, Also PAL says that you need a bachelor's degree would my commercial pilot diploma work?. I currently have 227.8 hours and i would be going back home this coming march to try and apply for that second officer flying position. any tips how can i get the Job and what would I need to do to convert my Canadian to Philippine Licence! Thanks! Any expats can help me pleaseee. Does also any of you guys know any expats got the S.O. flying position with low time hours thanks!:)

momo95
23rd Feb 2017, 19:04
Hello everyone i just some few questions regarding PAL second officer position I hope you guys can help me! I currently hold CPL licence multi/IFR in Canada and I went to college on top on that to get a Commercial Pilot Diploma, Also PAL says that you need a bachelor's degree would my commercial pilot diploma work?. I currently have 227.8 hours and i would be going back home this coming march to try and apply for that second officer flying position. any tips how can i get the Job and what would I need to do to convert my Canadian to Philippine Licence! Thanks! Any expats can help me pleaseee. Does also any of you guys know any expats got the S.O. flying position with low time hours thanks!:)

Are you an expat? If so why would you want to go PAL?

BAe 146-100
23rd Feb 2017, 21:22
No expats in Pal.Even for philipino pilots they have to be well connected to join and its hard to get in.

kingskate8
23rd Feb 2017, 21:39
Are you an expat? If so why would you want to go PAL?

Well im naturally born Filipino i came to Canada to study cause we dont have the money in Phil. Always wanted to work for PAL.

kingskate8
23rd Feb 2017, 21:40
No expats in Pal.Even for philipino pilots they have to be well connected to join and its hard to get in.

Im Filipino bro do you know if they really require Bachelor's Degree or my Commercial Pilot Diploma would work?

pfvspnf
24th Feb 2017, 07:18
No expats in PAL , intake is usually through the academy

kingskate8
24th Feb 2017, 15:33
Someone please help me does PAL really want a bachelor's degree for S.O. or my commercial pilot diploma would work? and how long is the processing time for conversion of my ICAO (Canadian Licence) to CAAP licence. Thanks!

pfvspnf
24th Feb 2017, 17:49
Are you Filipino ?

kingskate8
24th Feb 2017, 19:01
Are you Filipino ?

Yes i was born in the Philippines but I moved in Canada when i was 15 I have Canadian citizenship now and planning to get a dual citizenship.

Roti Canai
25th Feb 2017, 12:40
Reading his previous post's Yes.

Officer Kite
25th Feb 2017, 13:07
Someone please help me does PAL really want a bachelor's degree for S.O. or my commercial pilot diploma would work? and how long is the processing time for conversion of my ICAO (Canadian Licence) to CAAP licence. Thanks!

Commercial pilot diploma? Is that a degree issued by an accredited university or just a fancy way of saying your pilot license?

If it's a degree you studied separately to your pilot license then it would count. If not, then they will require a full 3/4 year degree on top of your license.

kingskate8
25th Feb 2017, 13:43
Commercial pilot diploma? Is that a degree issued by an accredited university or just a fancy way of saying your pilot license?

If it's a degree you studied separately to your pilot license then it would count. If not, then they will require a full 3/4 year degree on top of your license.
Well i went to college on top of my Pilot's Licence to get the "Commercial Pilot Diploma" It's completely separate from my pilot's licence. I have a Diploma not a Degree. Im really curious if they will accept it. Cause like Air Canada or West jet here requires "Degree or Diploma"

Officer Kite
25th Feb 2017, 16:30
Well i went to college on top of my Pilot's Licence to get the "Commercial Pilot Diploma" It's completely separate from my pilot's licence. I have a Diploma not a Degree. Im really curious if they will accept it. Cause like Air Canada or West jet here requires "Degree or Diploma"

A diploma is not a degree, and a bachelors is a degree. You will need a degree, a diploma won't be sufficient but ... it is the Philippines after all ... any contacts?

kingskate8
26th Feb 2017, 06:09
A diploma is not a degree, and a bachelors is a degree. You will need a degree, a diploma won't be sufficient but ... it is the Philippines after all ... any contacts?
Do i really need a contact?

pfvspnf
26th Feb 2017, 06:41
You'll need to get your dual citizenship and convert your license , it will take a few months! I doubt PAL would accept you as an SO but you might have a shot with smaller operators

kingskate8
26th Feb 2017, 20:28
You'll need to get your dual citizenship and convert your license , it will take a few months! I doubt PAL would accept you as an SO but you might have a shot with smaller operators
Thanks for the help! what small operators are in the Phil?

SloppyJoe
3rd Mar 2017, 09:30
You have a commercial pilots license, have a diploma in aviation, want to work in the Philippines. Must have been pursuing this career for a number of years and are asking these sorts of questions??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_transportation_in_the_Philippines#List_of_airlines_of_th e_Philippines

Took me all of 10 seconds to find this.

You need to be far more committed and resourceful if you are going to make it in your chosen career.

Jude Dominic Cosare
31st Mar 2019, 03:43
Good day guys. I was wondering whatever happened to your efforts, sir? Have you succeededin getting in with PAL? I'm currently trying to formulate a similar long term plan. God bless.

newpielot
21st Apr 2019, 02:18
Good day guys. I was wondering whatever happened to your efforts, sir? Have you succeededin getting in with PAL? I'm currently trying to formulate a similar long term plan. God bless.

Interesting feed,

Is the reason to live in The Philippines? Then that would make sense as why you want to be in PAL.

There are also other jobs in many of the other airlines.
Lots of other airlines will take you without your college degree in Orchid Pruning.

I guess they require college degrees for PAL since it’s the belief that it sets people apart in their flying skills.

The school system is poor so that is one way of proving you have hope of learning what the airlines need to teach you for your type rating. And the ability to explain yourself and why you do what you’re doing if you were ever put on the spot which most people can’t do over there.

kingskate8
2nd May 2019, 15:54
Negative sir i was too short for them they require at-least 5'4. Im currently working in Canada as a first officer in DHC-6 & BE-02.

4runner
2nd May 2019, 19:25
There are several ACMI pilots that live in the Philippines. They commute on freighters, get alternate travel or non rev. All the ones I know are gentlemen and don’t play cards or chase women. You could also get on with a Canadian airline and get your command, then fly overseas with an Asian carrier and base yourself in Fils. I know of a few of those fellers as well. I think Canadia is a lot like the US, where a university degree is highly desired(74% of American ATP holders) have one. There are a lot of Filipinos flying overseas, if that tells you anything about the terms and conditions offered by Filipino airlines.

PoyCNC
3rd May 2019, 01:48
They've accepted some guys that had CPL overseas. Just send them your resume and hope for the best. It does take the some time to process though.

newpielot
3rd May 2019, 04:43
There are several ACMI pilots that live in the Philippines. They commute on freighters, get alternate travel or non rev. All the ones I know are gentlemen and don’t play cards or chase women. You could also get on with a Canadian airline and get your command, then fly overseas with an Asian carrier and base yourself in Fils. I know of a few of those fellers as well. I think Canadia is a lot like the US, where a university degree is highly desired(74% of American ATP holders) have one. There are a lot of Filipinos flying overseas, if that tells you anything about the terms and conditions offered by Filipino airlines.

I think there is a lot to be said about the terms and conditions set for pilot jobs in The Philippines.
It seems to be consistent with opportunities as a whole. A lot of underemployed and unemployed.
I think the ones who choose to stay at home probably prioritize being around family, home and a culture that they are at one with.

Does anyone have any examples of this personally? Maybe shine a different light on this/uncover anything that might make the choice of staying or leaving apparent?

Will flying experience or work/life experience sway the view of having a university degree or not?

newpielot
3rd May 2019, 04:47

With CAAP it could be an eternity or a week.
The best way to facilitate the process would be to follow up with them on a regular basis personally.
2 months would be a reasonable expectation if they are organized.

Jude Dominic Cosare
26th Feb 2020, 16:24
I think there is a lot to be said about the terms and conditions set for pilot jobs in The Philippines.
It seems to be consistent with opportunities as a whole. A lot of underemployed and unemployed.
I think the ones who choose to stay at home probably prioritize being around family, home and a culture that they are at one with.

Does anyone have any examples of this personally? Maybe shine a different light on this/uncover anything that might make the choice of staying or leaving apparent?

Will flying experience or work/life experience sway the view of having a university degree or not?

Revisiting this thread.

Yes this may very well be the case for some, as it is for myself. I've around 200hrs now working on a CPL in the states but gunning for a career in the PH. As quoted above, yes, personal reasons can be strong enough to make such a decision. Currently looking into this again because there's only a few months to go and I'd be done with the program and the job hunting would become serious.

A friend in one of our local airlines suggested I get a rating if able to help bolster the resume, on top of the training received from the USA which she also believes to be advantageous. The websites list down some requirements for the entry level pilot jobs; a lot of which I can't attain by just finishing the program I'm on. Nevertheless, she suggested I apply which is in line with what Ive gathered from other places where you hear about this guy and that guy getting in without meeting said listed req.s. Cebpac's cadets go through a very similar program to the one I'm in, around the same timeline and results in terms of hours and licenses. The difference being the cadets go straight into type rating training and flow into the airline.

Personally, I'd be sending the applications fresh out of school to see what they say. Best case, they say welcome aboard. Worst case, stay and work in the States an extra 1.5-2 years by which time's end no harm's been done to my qualifs. Here's to hoping!