PDA

View Full Version : 'Smart drugs' boost pilot memory

Devils Advocate
9th Jul 2002, 10:10
Check out this BBC news page: Memory Pills For PIlots (http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/health/newsid_2116000/2116476.stm)

Now just were'd I leave my 'wacky backy' man ?!

Bright-Ling
9th Jul 2002, 10:14
Will that stop the "Say Agains!!!!"?

Only joking.

stagger
9th Jul 2002, 10:36
One of the authors of this study, Jerome Yesavage, appears to have done quite a lot of interesting work on physiological and pharmaceutical influences on pilot performance.

His laboratory has a webpage here...

http://www.stanford.edu/~yesavage/AIR.html

Robert Vesco
9th Jul 2002, 10:38
I which that this stuff had been around when I was studying for my ATPL written ! ;)

fireflybob
9th Jul 2002, 10:43
Funny but I read the other day that keeping yourself hydrated improved memory capability.

Most people in the western world are continuously dehyrated because they do not drink enough water.

Do we need drugs to enable us to do something which we can all do naturally with common sense diet and water!!

El Grifo
9th Jul 2002, 15:11
You sound like my Old Granny bob.
I think things have move along a tad in your absence :cool:

AerBabe
9th Jul 2002, 15:37
Actually, Bob's right, dehydration is a common cause of lack of concentration. I would have thought that the airconditioned cockpit environment would add to this problem.
Get drinking guys, and stop putting money in some pharmaceutical company's pocket! :)

Hornetboy
9th Jul 2002, 20:18
....I'd rather be slightly dehydrated than be forced to hydrate the aircraft seat on a 4-hour nav. Have you read exactly how much you have to drink to keep yourself completely hydrated?? Landing with your legs crossed (should such a position even be possible) may be dangerous too you know.:(

More seriously though, I actually did read a little about that. I take gatorade/powerade/fanta up with me when I fly now...I don't dare drink the whole bottle but if I start to lick my lips then I figure it may be time for a little bit of sugar water.

FrontWindowSeat
9th Jul 2002, 21:48
Ah. Another airing of the "most of the Western world is dehydrated" claim. I've never seen any convincing evidence for this, and it is listed as false at the Urban Legend Reference Pages http://www.snopes.com/toxins/water.htm (although I admit their arguments are not entirely watertight - pun intended).

Also, I used to be marginally connected to Stanford U in a previous job, and this group were usually looking for subjects holding PPL/IR & instument current - there were lots of these in the SF Bay Area. I haven't read the study, but my guess is that "Airline pilots" may be journalistic exaggeration.

fireflybob
10th Jul 2002, 18:08
El Grifo for all you know I might be your "old granny" but that doesn't mean that what I say is not common sense but I won't make your lack of seniority an issue in this case.

I am not againt innovation but the idea the crew members should take "drugs" to enhance their performance does not impress me. Most drugs have side effects and the drugs companies are big business and tend, in my opinion, to have alternative agendas.

Common sense is that there are others ways to tackle this sort of issue.

woftam
12th Jul 2002, 02:30
The side effects would really give you the sh*ts though.
:D