PDA

View Full Version : Can you name this airport?

RichardRS
22nd Feb 2017, 18:40
You chaps have always come up trumps, so here is another one. Can you please identify the airport shown in this screen capture from "Old Mother Riley's Jungle Treasure" (1951) We believe it could be in Surrey as the film was made at Walton-on-Thames. Full credit will be given to any identification. Reel Streets - Reelstreets Films - Home Page (http://www.reelstreets.com) Thanks in anticipation.

treadigraph
22nd Feb 2017, 19:21
Can't help with the location Richard (though that Control Tower does seem familiar) but the aircraft is Airspeed Consul G-AIKR which still exists, preserved the Canada Aviation and Space Museum. It was owned by Airwork at the time.

Edit: Cambridge/Teversham?

Philoctetes
22nd Feb 2017, 19:27
Perth, Scotland?

Kieron Kirk
22nd Feb 2017, 19:43
Portsmouth?

Chiarain.

DaveReidUK
22nd Feb 2017, 20:37
It was owned by Airwork at the time.

Scone, perhaps ?

treadigraph
22nd Feb 2017, 20:47
Blackbushe! Pics towards the bottom of this page (http://blackbusheairport.proboards.com/thread/3/photo-day?page=25) seem to show an identical tower, masts and blister hangar. It was on the part of the airfield returned to Yateley Common many years ago.

Edit: my thoughts had turned to Fairoaks, and that pic was amongst those thrown up by Google - would never have thought of it.

Planemike
22nd Feb 2017, 22:30
treadi........... Agree with you. Also G-AIKR was owned by Airwork for most of the 1950s. Blackbushe was main operating bas for Airwork.

ICT_SLB
23rd Feb 2017, 03:25
IIRC from my days as a BAC apprentice at Hurn, the Hawk Speed Six was owned by the chap who ran the onsite shop - it was sometimes parked just outside. Hurn also has a similar tower and low blister hangers, one of which housed the Monthly Mess & Canteen. It was also Airwork's main base from at least the sixties.

oldchina
23rd Feb 2017, 11:13
ICT SLB
"Monthly Mess". Aghh the bad old days.
I bet it had "Management Toilets" too !

dixi188
23rd Feb 2017, 13:23
BAC Hurn had separate canteens for weekly paid works, (ie. me), weekly paid office (my sister), monthly paid staff, senior monthly paid with free food and a beer (my father), and also a Management restaurant.
Toilets were also segregated.
I understand the works and office being separate because we wore dirty clothes. The rest was just a class thing to keep us in our place.

I think it was Peter Parker who ran the shop with his assistant Rosie.

I was there 1969 to 1973 as an apprentice.

DaveReidUK
23rd Feb 2017, 14:52
BAC Hurn had separate canteens for weekly paid works, (ie. me), weekly paid office (my sister), monthly paid staff, senior monthly paid with free food and a beer (my father), and also a Management restaurant.
Toilets were also segregated.
I understand the works and office being separate because we wore dirty clothes. The rest was just a class thing to keep us in our place.

A well-known Belfast-based aircraft manufacturer proudly upheld those 1950s traditions well into the 1980s. :O

RichardRS
23rd Feb 2017, 16:48
Thank you "treadigraph" for resolving not only the airport but providing the addition information regarding the aircraft itself. All the detail is now appended to the caption on our Website with due acknowledgement. Thanks also to the rest of you for the addition detail and stories, a great read. I see the tower not only features towards the end of the link provided but an almost identical shot to the screen capture appears with the Hawk Speed Six G-ADGP slightly higher up. You have maintained your 100% success rate for me, thanks. http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/smilies2/eusa_clap.gif

ICT_SLB
24th Feb 2017, 03:15
dixi,
You missed out "Oxfam Monthly" - Monthly Staff, so you only got paid once a month, but no food. Applied to just about every apprentice if they moved into the Drawing Office or Planning. BAC also got its pound of flesh if you went to college full time rather than day release by reclassifying you as a "Student Apprentice" so you were committed to a full five year Apprenticeship (although in my last year I was doing full conversions of 1-11 Avionics with minimal oversight). My dates were 1967 - 72.
DaveReid,
Having several ex-Titanic builders as friends in Wichita via the LJ-45 program, I believe that those traditions were still in place well into this century.

WHBM
28th Feb 2017, 21:53
A well-known Belfast-based aircraft manufacturer proudly upheld those 1950s traditions well into the 1980s
Well in my branch of the world such are still around. A very well known (at airports) name had at their HQ, until a remodelling just a few years ago, a canteen divided by about a 3 ft high partition into "boots" and "suits". So each dined in view of the others. Separate entrances and servery, but common kitchen behind. What amused me was the different salt/pepper pots on the table, glass on the suits side, plastic (mostly cracked) "across the way". Steel/plastic cutlery. China plates/plastic plates.

On reflection, just like an airline, in front/behind the curtain.