PDA

View Full Version : Finally bagged that First Solo!

monkeyboy
16th Jan 2001, 15:18
Saturday 13th January finally saw the intrepid Monkeyboy stop swinging around in the trees and take to the skies in a PA28 on his own at Cambridge!

Wow......I couldn't stop smiling on the drive home afterwards! :)

Now I know what Cloud 9 feels like..

tunneler
16th Jan 2001, 15:28
Good onya monkey boy!!!!

Why did it take you so bloody long to let us know?!?!?!?!? You been at the bannanajuice???

Welcome the the club mate :)

B

DreamCatcher
16th Jan 2001, 16:41
Well done - hoping my Tomahawk isn't far behind you. ;-)

------------------
'I'll take control...'
'You have control.'
'Well give me it then!!'

Mister Geezer
16th Jan 2001, 18:40
Congratulations monkeyboy on your first 'Command'!

All the best for the future and hopefully you will get that brown book soon!

MG

------------------
...For Radar identification, throw your your jumpseat rider out of the window...

AffirmBrest
16th Jan 2001, 19:07
Congrats MB!

Did you sing, hum or talk to yourself on the way round?

I recall doing all three...

------------------
...proceeding below Decision Height WITH CAUTION...

monkeyboy
16th Jan 2001, 19:11
I know full well I spoke out loud on the way round! Thankfully, I didn't have a stuck mike otherwise the tower would have got the men in white coats ready for me when I landed! :)

foghorn
16th Jan 2001, 19:53
Nice one! welcome to the club. Enjoy filling in the 'In Command' column of your log book, and don't keep getting it out to look at all the time, other people just don't understand and will think you are mad :) :) :)

Teenyweeny ATC Cdt Cpl
16th Jan 2001, 22:13
I sang loudly, hummed, beat a rhythm on the control column and talked to myself the whole time.

-brought to you from Warley Mental Institution... :)

PFO
16th Jan 2001, 22:40
Congratulations Monkeyboy,

Remember me?

What about that first bit just after T/O when you think "s*@t, I've got to land this thing now!".

Did anyone else get that feeling?

PFO

TAF Oscar
16th Jan 2001, 23:39
Great stuff Monkeyboy!!

I sang (or more correctly yelled) Blue Suede Shoes on my way round. I'd keep in practice if I were you, just wait for that first solo XC...

...three to get ready now go cat go!!

TAFO

mad-andy
16th Jan 2001, 23:43
And I thought I was the only one..Dammit..
I sang `I Want To Break free` on my first solo,interrupted of course by the downwind checks.Well done and welcome to the club.Now stand back and watch the bank balance drop.
PS.Who is it who breeds the bugs that bite you on the a%se on your first trial flight??.

AMS
17th Jan 2001, 00:20
Well done Monkeyboy!!

It must feel good. Well I am off to SAN in Feb and I am starting to feel whether I could really do a solo and all in 4 weeks..is this normal..does everyone feel like this??

Please reply

AMS

Genghis the Engineer
17th Jan 2001, 01:32
Now you know the most frightening sentence in the language "would you like to try one on your own?"

Very well done, good luck with the rest of the training (but it all gets easier after this).

Genghis
(who did 2 go-arounds on his first solo)

PFO
17th Jan 2001, 02:35
Genghis,

I got the "right one circuit on your own and for god sake bring it back in one piece (jokingly)".

Then I got "G-**** you need to request permission to taxi!"

How embarrasing!!!!!!!!!

PFO

SpeedBird22
17th Jan 2001, 02:41
Congratulations!

I was lucky on my first solo - another student who was also on his first solo went just after me and managed to get tangled up with an incoming airbus at Filton. Well...if you ignore landing orders what do you expect :-)

Sb22

SOHCAHTOA
17th Jan 2001, 18:21
Well done Monkey.
I will always remember my 1st solo but for rather different reasons.
Let lose around the circuit in a Supercub I thought I was the dogs Bollo*%s. Raybans donned and window open I decided to chill out on downwind and popped my arm up on window frame. As I inadverdently moved my elbow back the wooden prop thingy suddenly went to idle, yep, I had hit the rear throttle,DOH, never realised it only took .025 seconds for the cheeks of your arse to pucker (handy fact for your Human performance exam!!)

AYLGR
17th Jan 2001, 18:55
And what power eh! The feeling of that Piper without the added load of an instructor? I remember getting to circuit height before I turned for downwind. Now that confused me, where did all that extra horsepower come from?

Bob

Genghis the Engineer
18th Jan 2001, 00:27
Not to mention that it doesn't want to come down, so you land about 2/3 down the runway wondering why?

G