PDA

View Full Version : Small singles in Indonesia and the Philippines

Marshall300
20th Feb 2017, 01:36
Me and a few friends are planning an extensive trip in SE Asia. The idea is to use a small aircraft for transportation around places. Both Indonesia and Phillies seem to have at least some existent general aviation scene so these are the main choices (I know Malaysia looks better tho). But gathering information about the hire and fly situation there turned out to be a problem, especially because we might be looking at something bigger than a typical 172. So if anyone can give me any idea of what things are like there in this respect I would greatly appreciate...

Questions organized:

Do they even have a concept of hire and fly?
Which country is easier to validate licence? (I hold South African CPL)
What do FBOs usually do for checkouts, like a few circuits or some extensive testing?
Any chance at renting something like a 182 or a 206?
Rates? Would they be charging extra if you keep the plane for a week or so?
Maybe some contacts, websites etc...

Still got a few months ahead so if theres a slightest chance to organize this I would definitely try and do everything.

Thanks in advance to everyone contributing!

RadioSaigon
21st Feb 2017, 01:08
hmmmm... I really don't want to rain on your parade, but:

Speaking of Indonesia specifically: GA (as you and I understand it) revolves mainly around flight "training". I know of no "for hire" per se airframes available. Others may have more relevant information, as I am Indonesian Papua based. The rest of the GA scene here is largely based on sustained Commercial activity. So no, really they have no concept of hire & fly here at all.
Validation of licences here is an ongoing nonsense. I've been here 5yrs+ now, with a renewal validation pending. I started the process 3 months pre-expiry, I have about 3 weeks remaining and to date, no info. Just an example.
There probably is an opportunity to rent something like a 182 or a 206 somewhere in Indonesia... but given your plans, you will find a near-impossibility of feeding the bitch the further you take it from its operating base. Almost everything here feeds on JetA. AvGas is a nightmare to source, have delivered and find. And poisonously expensive when you can.

That's about as far as I can "help" you I'm afraid. No doubt there'll be others able to assist with other queries.

buzzandfly
23rd Feb 2017, 06:49
Can help you with A/c rental in the Philippines, We have a fleet of single & multi.

Regarding licensing its a long time consuming process, suggest you take one of our company pilots along.

Captain Stravaigin
23rd Feb 2017, 13:25
A bit easier in MY to hire. In my opinion an FAA licence is the way to go. Validation here will take an age. Good Luck!

WLM
8th Mar 2017, 01:30
Basically RadioSaigon is right on the money; no avgas, almost no single fw to hire without a line pilot and definitely forget about doing a validation... been working and living here for last 14 years so conversant with the situation
Sorry mate
WLM

Marshall300
4th Apr 2017, 17:47
Thank you all for your input, sticking with the Philippines then.

buzzandfly, how can I contact you, there seems to be no way I can PM you

pfvspnf
5th Apr 2017, 06:04
Validation even for a PPL can take a week. Aircraft usually in poor condition . Country's ATC is a mess.

It's been done before , just learn to step everything down from what you are use to