PDA

View Full Version : Connecting through DXB with Emirates

TCAS FAN
19th Feb 2017, 18:39
Would appreciate advice. Mrs TCAS and I are connecting through DXB to the Far East. As its a relatively long transit are staying at the in Terminal International Hotel. Due to the current exchange rate its better to buy duty frees at LHR rather than DXB. Can I connect at DXB and avoid having my duty frees confiscated for being over 100 ml?

dastocks
19th Feb 2017, 18:46
You will almost certainly have to go through security at DXB so I would assume not. However, you might be able to carry it through if it's in a sealed duty-free bag with a receipt. Check the Emirates or DXB website.

10 DME ARC
19th Feb 2017, 19:48
Duty free will seal your goods in UK when you tell them you are going via some where, then you just produce them outside of bags upon transiting DXB. No problem, on return put in hold luggage if over 100ml.

kcockayne
19th Feb 2017, 20:03
I am doing the same on the way to Phuket. But, I have to ask, is the issue of duty free so important that you have to save a quid or two by buying them in London instead of Dubai ? Perhaps it is, but it won't be troubling me.

CabinCrew747
19th Feb 2017, 20:48
Duty free is almost certainly cheaper in DXB for pretty much any product than in the UK. Couple that with the far greater range of products available and it is definitely the place to buy. You can also pay in most major currencies and order online for collection on Dubai Duty Free's website;

Dubai Duty Free (https://online.dubaidutyfree.com/ddf/home.jsp)

willy wombat
19th Feb 2017, 21:17
As a regular DXB visitor, DXB will still be cheaper for fags and booze so buy in DXB. Not sure about perfume.

EI-BUD
19th Feb 2017, 21:26
TCAS FAN,

There is a chat facility on DXB airport website, you can get crystal clarity on whether you can connect with the duty free not being confiscated. I'm no expert on price comparisons, but I could see when I was passing through couple of weeks ago that pricing on alcohol and tobacco prices were very low indeed...

Flitefone
20th Feb 2017, 05:32
I have transitted DXB 6 times in the past 18 months, each time with a planned 2-3 hour transit.

In reality, due to either departure delays at either end or the inevitable arrival holding at DXB, my transit has eroded to near minimum - usually leaving no time to use the lounge, shop or relax.

If you really want to buy something, better to eliminate the chance of missing out and buy when you are able to ensure that you have the time at either end of the route!

Risk of missing out is quite high in DXB transit.

I have similar experience in AUH.

TCAS FAN
20th Feb 2017, 07:25
EI-BUD

Thanks will have a look. Was in Dubai last week, as the dirham is linked to the USD many booze prices in the DXB duty free have risen above those in World Duty Free at LHR, due to the Brexit vote and fall in the value of the GBP.

TCAS FAN
20th Feb 2017, 07:27
Thanks to all for taking the time to respond.

10 DME ARC
20th Feb 2017, 09:32
DXB Duty free other than cigs has never been as cheap as UK, I compared many times over the last 8+ years! This has got more so with the £/$/aed exchange rate! It always amazes me seeing people buying bags and bags full of stuff!!

Swedish Steve
20th Feb 2017, 11:43
I would disagree with you. I visited DXB many times in 1980-87 and found the price of booze there outstanding. I remember around £1 for a bottle.

Aksai Oiler
20th Feb 2017, 14:36
I live in the Sandpit, I don't buy fags so I cannot comment, we buy duty free in Dubai on arrival simply because we can double the allowance if we buy in Dubai. I would not say Dubai is cheaper, I feel the prices are similar to the U.K. and there is not much difference. Next year the UAE will introduce 5%VAT as s stealth tax. Certainly if you buy electronics these are cheaper in Dubai itself than Dubai Duty Free and in general prices are almost the same as U.K. Prices.

Anyway good luck with your trip and safe travels

Heathrow Harry
20th Feb 2017, 16:26
It can't be a "stealth tax" if they give you a year's notice............. and like Govt everywhere they have to riase the cash someway - and VAT is very cost -effective

Mr Mac
20th Feb 2017, 17:51
TCAS FAN
Buy it where you want as others have said, it will be sealed at LHR so you should have no issues transiting DXB. Prices I find are similar still, but range is better at DXB, though I use MAN not LHR as my departure point normally. I tend to buy in DXB for choice and because I do not want to carry extra stuff too far.

Montreal-Dubai
20th Feb 2017, 21:17
Hello TCAS, Yup, if you are staying in the Dubai Airport hotel, then you are still in transit so as long as you get the duty free sealed at LHR, you will be fine. The staff at LHR should normally ask you what your final destination is anyway, so as long as you are not going to somewhere like Australia, then go for it. I am a regular through DXB too, and to be truthful, prices are really neither here nor there, and with me, it depends on circumstance whether I buy things in the UK, or in DXB. I normally buy 2 litres of Smirnoff Vodka for GBP22.00 at NCL on the way out, and then any cigarettes on the way back in DXB. My last trip was a bit topsy turvey though as I was connecting through to Doha, so obviously couldnt by any booze due the rules in Qatar. But on my way back 2 weeks ago, I bought 2 x bottles of Smirnoff and 400 Marlboro light in DXB Duty Free and it was only just short of GB60.00, so the booze price was only maybe a pound more than the UK. Have a great trip!!! Hope this helps?