PDA

View Full Version : 787 low fuel Mayday AMS Feb, 17th

DIBO
19th Feb 2017, 10:54
OK, I know, it's all in a days work...but still...

787-8 MIA to AMS Feb, 18th
- 20min. from pushback till take-off
- rather normal climb out to initial cruising level FL390 (not being held low for a long time, not being kept a long way off a direct track to destination)
- reaching FL410 eventually
- upon arrival, being kept in a holding for 22 min., with step descend from FL150 to FL100. Halfway in the holding time, informing ATC about low fuel state.
- RVR fluctuating around the 400 meters mark
- total flight time 20 min. above average
- after being cleared for approach and on a 10 miles final, Fuel Mayday declared. RT call on this newspaper page: https://www.nhnieuws.nl/nieuws/200627/audio-tui-vliegtuig-doet-noodoproep-vanwege-brandstoftekort

Several other aircraft (KLM, Delta,...) in the same holding pattern, diverted to a.o. BRU

With all the high tech from flight planning to flight bag, from the engines to the pointy-end, spending at least an hour in well equipped/well managed airspace, a lot of alternates in the clear, with all ACARS, D-ATIS, etc. goodies available, ending up on final within ATC's planned approach time which was announced well beforehand, how comes one ends up declaring a fuel emergency?

Surely one must comply with SOP and Annex 6 Part I 4.3.7.2.3, but being cleared for approach and on a ten miles final as number 2, now having the number one (EZY28QY) kicked out of his short final approach, having the Troops running about in full numbers during LVP operations... And afterwards, a lot of 'free' publicity for your company in the newspapers...Is it all worth it? If you're really coming in of fumes (which totally not happened here), with a loooong taxi ahead, then the only thing you might really need is a good tow truck. I know, rules are rules, by the book is by the book... Except for removing the risk of the no. 1 crashing/blocking 'your' runway, what good did this call do?

Flying Wild
19th Feb 2017, 14:31
If the fuel on landing was forecasted to be below final reserve fuel (i.e. they had committed to land at AMS and used their alternate dest fuel), then they MUST declare a Mayday.