PDA

View Full Version : Sqn Ldr Nick "Candles" De Candole

The B Word
19th Feb 2017, 09:37
I have just found out and seen the announcement of Candles' very sad passing.

DE CANDOLE MA RAF - Deaths Announcements - Telegraph Announcements (http://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/deaths/211182/de-candole-ma-raf)

RIP fella, another one of the good guys have gone...:(

The B Word

MSOCS
19th Feb 2017, 09:51
Blue skies old boy, you'll be hugely missed. Thoughts with devastated family and friends.

RIP Candles.

Lima Juliet
19th Feb 2017, 18:14
Utterly tragic news. I first met Candles as his instructor on the F3 about 15-odd years ago, he went onto greater things on the Typhoon and then onto test with the F16 at Nellis. Such a smiley bloke, with a childish giggle; I have never had the pleasure to know another like him. He endured the tragedy of losing his best pal, Alex Parr, who died in the ETPS Yak last year; his reading at his friend's funeral was an inspiration. That was the last time I saw him. To hear this latest news is just dreadful.

My full condolences to Candles' wife and young children.

This is how I will remember you matey...RIP

http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafcms/mediafiles/219838F5_5056_A318_A8D111AF320CF46E.jpg

Bob Viking
19th Feb 2017, 18:38
LJ.

Don't forget his Jag time. I'm sure he'd agree it was the absolute pinnacle of his career!

It's true that he was a true individual and we shared many a mischievous moment on our OCU together. I will miss him greatly.

LJ we may see each other at his funeral soon.

BV

Lima Juliet
19th Feb 2017, 19:05
@BV... :ok:

Gericault
19th Feb 2017, 19:27
A great loss. He was a real character on the OCU, as were the rest of his cse (eh BV)! I shall remember the keen talented young pilot stepping off into his career. My thoughts are with his family.

Eau de Boeing
20th Feb 2017, 02:05
Could someone please pm me some contact details for his family, would like to send them a note.

Candles introduced me to the world of Lotus unreliability and Mabell's whilst at Leuchars, will raise a glass accordingly.

OTA Warrior
20th Feb 2017, 08:01
Flew 2 dedicated low level F3 nav sorties with Nick prior to his Jag posting to refresh these skills (on the basis that I'd been a Valley QFI and "knew about maps and suchlike")... First trip in a 2-sticker was fine, second, due to gremlins, in a single sticker. Absolutely terrifying! Great chap, very sad loss.

Uncle Ginsters
20th Feb 2017, 13:55
Absolutely tragic news.

First met Nick at Linton where many a beer and laugh were shared.

Our paths diverged but crossed many times thereafter - he always met with that big grin and usually a few beers followed.
Gone too soon, buddy.

Blue skies.
R.I.P.

Cooperman
21st Feb 2017, 19:01
So sad

First met Candles and his fellow course mate Rojats when they arrived bright-eyed and bushy-tailed in Cold Lake in 2001 as the very first RAF trainees to embark on the NFTC Programme. Between them, they set the bar for their successors, and in every respect they set it high. A pleasure to have been witness to the early beginnings of Candles' very successful career, tragically cut too short.

My sincere condolences to his family and close friends.

betty swallox
22nd Feb 2017, 19:46
What a thoroughly good guy. Terrible shame. RIP fella.