View Full Version : Jetstar pilot package

Luggage
12th Feb 2017, 19:30
Would any Jetstar pilot both Captain and F.O but more F.O care to outline the starting salaries for JQ pilots, per diems and flight benefits.

I have been trying to find the information but have not been able to do so. Im not looking at cadetships or any of that nonsense, just direct entry F.O.

Also are there any contract negotiations going on at JQ?:ok:

Brakerider
12th Feb 2017, 19:40
https://www.fwc.gov.au/documents/documents/agreements/fwa/ae413585.pdf

Luggage
12th Feb 2017, 22:39
Thanks BR.:ok:

DUXNUTZ
13th Feb 2017, 02:57
How long to hold F/O 787 ?

das Uber Soldat
13th Feb 2017, 03:06
You were 'unable to do so'? A google search of jetstar pilot eba heralds the document above as the first link.

No offence but if you're that reliant on others that you cant make the simplest of searches then im not sure jq is for you.

goodonyamate
13th Feb 2017, 03:11
No offence but if you're that reliant on others........then im not sure jq is for you.

Given how reliant JQ is on QF, sounds like he or she is perfect!!

sheesh lighten up...what is with pilots being so far up their own arses, any time someone asks for help they get ridiculed.

das Uber Soldat
13th Feb 2017, 03:21
Given how reliant JQ is on QF, sounds like he or she is perfect!!

sheesh lighten up...what is with pilots being so far up their own arses, any time someone asks for help they get ridiculed.
Does your wife feed you too mate? Your QF quip is lost on me but from an operational viewpoint, in a lcc, you're expected to be somewhat self reliant.

What's with pilots these days, any time someone doesn't coddle them they get teary.

Willie Nelson
13th Feb 2017, 03:26
DUS

Prune is not quite the troll fest you're looking for either, ease up. If you've got nothing nice to say why bother hitting your keypad.

Luggage, in addition to the EBA details that Brakerider provided the FO's are all consistently doing max hours, certainly in SYD and MEL, some of the other ports where the flying is a lot less interesting things are a bit more cyclical but there will always be overtime if you want to hunt it down.

As far as a 787 window seat goes, it really is going to depend on whether the commercial case is there for expansion. The company will rightfully keep these cards very close to their chest.

With 11 787 (currently) and three indefinitely deferred orders and approximately 65 320/321's between JANZ (a lot of Australians are sent across the ditch to fill in) you can see the wait might be getting close to ten years, perhaps more. That's going to blow out a bit more than in the past due to them now hiring SO for the 787, up side though is that when you get a window seat you will not also be asked to be a second officer every other duty.

Long wait for commands too unless you go to New Zealand where it is possibly closer to 5 years. This seems to be partly because the flying is less interesting and also because the terms are not as favourable as ANZ.

I'm pretty happy to be here, it's not perfect but very,very good.

Hope that helps.

Ollie Onion
13th Feb 2017, 04:33
That's funny Willie, flying for Jetstar NZ which includes the Tasman, Fiji and ports like Queenstown along with the terrain and weather is 'less interesting' than flying around Australia........classic Aussie thinking. Jetstar NZ conditions are significantly closer to Air NZ than Jetstar Oz is to Qantas.

das Uber Soldat
13th Feb 2017, 04:44
DUS

Prune is not quite the troll fest you're looking for either, ease up. If you've got nothing nice to say why bother hitting your keypad.
Its sad that the term 'troll' has been misappropriated by those ignorant of its meaning. The intent in trolling is to provoke a response. I'm trying to do the exact opposite.

Interesting too that you make no comment when countless threads are shut down for the same very reason that I'm complaining here. Easily searched subjects rehashed endlessly by people too lazy to use the search function.

http://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/590751-cadetships.html

So why bother? For the same reason endless 'which flying school' threads are shut down. Hopefully people get the message and stop doing it.

Or maybe even use the search function! (found using the incredibly complex search term of "jetstar pay")

http://www.pprune.org/9489485-post65.html

:ugh:

Willie Nelson
13th Feb 2017, 08:45
Hi Ollie,

Fair point Ollie, it is of course subjective but I guess I'm referring to progression opportunities such as the 787, but yes fair point.

I guess it's also that we can operate over there whenever they're short but the reverse can't be said as I'm sure you are aware.

I'm also going by the turnover rate of both LHS and RHS NZ pilots, nice blokes, but they don't seem to want to stick around in large part, would you agree?

Berealgetreal
13th Feb 2017, 09:48
I'm pretty happy to be here, it's not perfect but very,very good.

Times have changed. Ask the opposition pilots what they think.

Luggage
13th Feb 2017, 14:24
DUS

Bite me. If you not interestedin helping fellow aviators with a smile on your face Im not sure aviation is for you.

If somebody asked me a question like that I would gladly provide the information for them without a smart **** comment or dig at them.

If it bothers you to answer or help then don't, just keep you gob shut.

Get a life dude!!

Luggage
13th Feb 2017, 14:29
Willie Nelson

Thank you. Great info, much appreciated. To be honest I have no interest in the 787, prefer to stayon the bus.

DUS take note on how not to be a tool.

Bet you were not the sunny kid in class were you!!

27/09
13th Feb 2017, 17:31
I guess it's also that we can operate over there whenever they're short but the reverse can't be said as I'm sure you are aware.

Just curious, why can't the NZ guys and gals operate in Oz? Seems a bit odd it works the other way round. Open skies, TTMRA and all that jazz.

mattyj
13th Feb 2017, 17:33
Hmmm..thanks for your interesting take on the meaning of troll..nope, you're still a troll.

Willie Nelson
13th Feb 2017, 18:52
27/09,

What you're referring to are essentially trade agreements. The restriction on which pilot group can operate in which aircraft relates to the Fair Work Act.

Di_Vosh
13th Feb 2017, 21:23
The comment was:

No offence but if you're that reliant on others that you cant make the simplest of searches then im not sure jq is for you.

From my POV that was a pretty low-level comment, and IMHO not that far wrong.

Luggage

If that comment causes you so much offence and hurt to respond with

Bite me. If you not interestedin helping fellow aviators with a smile on your face Im not sure aviation is for you.

If somebody asked me a question like that I would gladly provide the information for them without a smart **** comment or dig at them.

If it bothers you to answer or help then don't, just keep you gob shut.

Get a life dude!!

Then I really doubt that aviation is for you dude!. Life as an adult can be pretty tough, and life as a pilot is harder. If you don't have a tough hide you wont get very far.

DIVOSH!

Shagpile
13th Feb 2017, 23:20
Timeless comedy -- even 38 years later it still accurately describes a bunch of pilots in a forum:

https://youtu.be/WboggjN_G-4

The Green Goblin
13th Feb 2017, 23:41
Willie Nelson.

It has nothing to do with trade agreements. It's to do with the Australian EBA. If Jetstar could, they'd employ everybody under the NZ agreement and roster them through Australia. They'd do this in a heartbeat because it's cheaper! The only thing stopping them is the union(s) and the EBA.

If they operate a domestic Australian route and aircraft, they need to be on the Australian seniority list and paid the Australian rate under the eba.

das Uber Soldat
14th Feb 2017, 00:32
Such tears.

I've helped far more than you know, but I choose to help people who have demonstrated a willingness to help themselves.

During your JQ interview, you'll be asked to demonstrate how you're able to operate in the LCC model, to show you're self reliant and able to function without everything simply being handed to you. Do tell them how you couldn't even locate the Jetstar EBA. Maybe throw another tantrum in too. Sure fire job offer I'd wager. :E

Willie Nelson
14th Feb 2017, 01:04
Green Goblin,

You've perhaps misunderstood me. 27/9 was making the suggestion that TTMRA and Open skies might have something to do with the restriction on Kiwi's working in Australia.

You and I agree, that has nothing to do with it. The fair work act facilitates the right of anyone flying a Jetstar aircraft domestically within Australia to be collectively represented on minimum terms and conditions in accordance with our EBA. For better or for worse, Pilots on Kiwi contracts do not qualify for this.

I'm intentionally keeping it very simple to avoid the thread being completely hijacked and heading very far south, I'm sure you can understand. But this post will no doubt put an end to that.

The Green Goblin
14th Feb 2017, 01:18
Fair enough willie.

Das - play nice.

As for doing everything yourself at JQ? From my previous airline, I couldn't believe how easy JQ was. Only four sector days instead of 8, jetload instead of trim sheets, flight attendants as well as an FO :P, no refuelling and no bag chucking, no flightplanning and submitting stuff via NAIPS. An Autopilot and APU! I thought the QF MoU boys were taking drugs when they were staying how hard we had it!

Anyway it's all relative. Didn't take me long to start whinging.

das Uber Soldat
14th Feb 2017, 02:15
Whats wrong with the thread being derailed. The issue was resolved post #2. Why not let it meander a bit :P

Green Goblin: Only 8? Back in my day it was 12 sectors! Uphill both ways too. :E

The Green Goblin
14th Feb 2017, 03:11
Only 12?

That's nothing.

We did 16 while living in a box in a lake with manual trim sheets, no autopilot, no apu, no flight attendants, no fuel - and we only had half a wing to fly uphill both ways.

j3pipercub
14th Feb 2017, 03:28
Half a wing... Sheer Lookshury.

ExtraShot
14th Feb 2017, 03:43
Slightly off topic perhaps but:

With 11 787 (currently) and three indefinitely deferred orders

I believe the 'three indefinitely deferred orders' are now set to become 787-9's for the mothership (for a total of 53 orders(only 8 firm so far)/ options/ purchase rights, etc).
64 787's for the 'Group' in total if they're all taken up.

Also, rumours currently floating around that 11 788's for JQ may be too many? (potentially by 3 frames, which could be better used by QF...). Again, thats nothing concrete, just a rumour.

Ultimately, JQ might be a pretty decent Job (thanks to their last EA), but I wouldn't join JQ with my heart set on flying wide bodies is all.

Willie Nelson
14th Feb 2017, 06:46
Extra Shot,

Absolutely right about the long haul job, you're not going to get a window seat any time soon, if that's really important then you're better off shooting for QF, CX or something else in Asia. I love domestic flying though, not to mention living in Australia, suits me and Mrs Nelson.

I don't know if there's any truth to your rumour but it certainly wouldn't surprise me if we lost some 787s at least in the short term simply because there has been quite a bit of chopping and changing of various routes and QF has quite a network plan to roll out with them. Having said that I know we're still making good money from them according to last FY results.

The longer term game might be a bit different though. It should be said being a line pilot I'd be the last person to having any commercial insight to these things.

In any case, I would strongly recommend anyone to have a decent crack at QF before JQ though right now, you'd always have more options and most likely far more command opportunities both because of the expansion and becaause there is too many young captains at JQ. Where there was once a comparative advantage that's no longer the case.

The Green Goblin
14th Feb 2017, 07:29
I wouldn't say they're getting rid of any 787s. Apparently number 12 is arriving this year and they are trying to get number 13....or so the rumour goes. New routes being announced etc.

I wouldn't be too concerned with where you go, just try and go somewhere! Once you're in (who cares what's on the tail) with jet time in the logbook, then you can worry about commands and overseas.

itsnotthatbloodyhard
14th Feb 2017, 11:13
I clicked on this thread expecting something completely different.

Compylot
14th Feb 2017, 12:52
You were 'unable to do so'? A google search of jetstar pilot eba heralds the document above as the first link.

No offence but if you're that reliant on others that you cant make the simplest of searches then im not sure jq is for you. Luggage, please excuse The Superior Soldier, it can be hard for the elite coping with their fame.

Sometimes special little boys find themselves flying aeroplanes and regardless of their position still find it hard to attract attention from, well...you know who!

So after failing to get said attention, they like to post every 4 days or so on an internet forum, in an attempt to make themselves feel special, just like their mummy told them they were!

Virtually There
14th Feb 2017, 14:08
pprune.org: come for the info, stay for the entertainment. :}

Willie Nelson
14th Feb 2017, 21:59
Green Goblin,

I take a slightly different view. If you have a choice, and I accept not many do, QF is by far a better option. Although you would start as an SO, promotion at least to a narrow body FO position is likely to be relatively quick over the next few years and command opportunity although a very long time away is likely to be sooner at QF too due to the average age of those on the QF seniority list in combination with the slated expansion. The terms and conditions at QF are clearly better.

If you at least want the option for long haul and you have a 'choice' then to me it's a no brainer.

Again the comparative advantage of getting in to JQ has most likely disappeared now as quick commands will not be happening any longer and it's quite possibly going to be a 15 year wait for a command.

If you want to fly long haul, you're not likely to be happy at JQ as any window seat in a 787 is going to be years away let alone a command position.

For those that have QF as an option or can possibly head straight to CX then you might want to consider carefully lest you spend the next fifteen years complaining about it. Sympathy from the rest of us will only go so far.

Again, I'm pretty happy where I am at JQ, great company with good people living in Australia on an income well above the median Australian, but in the interests of providing clarity to those looking at the long years ahead that's my two cents.

I'd trust your information on the 787 Green Goblin more than I would the other rumours I've heard though, that's sounds like good news.

Just_landed
21st Feb 2017, 13:40
https://www.fwc.gov.au/documents/documents/agreements/fwa/ae413585.pdf
Hello brakerider,
I am hoping you could explain me things which made me little confused with your agreement link.l If the agreement quotes 178000 usd/p.a. for a narrow body captain, then why would rishworth or other agencies quote just 11000 usd/month (or ~135000 usd/p.a.)?

Is it like the rest of a pilot salary goes to the agency as their fee to get you a job?

I am sorry to sound noobish, its just that its my first time to get an agency involved, so I am trying to understand how things work with an agency.

Brakerider
21st Feb 2017, 18:05
The agreement is in AUD.

I don't believe rishworth have any contracts with Jetstar Australia. You may be looking at a contract amount for Jetstar Pacific (in Vietnam)

Kopity
23rd Jul 2017, 02:44
The EBA doesn't apply to NZ based A320 FO's does it? Any idea on their package please or how it stacks up against the EBA