PDA

View Full Version : Sale of US Military aircraft to 'allied' nations?

Rhino power
11th Feb 2017, 09:49
Can someone help settle a 'discussion', please?
I seem to recall reading somewhere in the dim, distant past, either online or in print, that at one time the US would not, or indeed could not by law, sell to certain allies more advanced/capable versions of aircraft that the US itself flew. I think it was way back in the 60's/70's and was brought about by the C in C of the time, when was this 'law' rescinded? Obviously these days it doesn't apply, what with UAE F-16E/F and Saudi F-15SA to name a couple...

-RP

Heathrow Harry
11th Feb 2017, 12:47
Still applies - they can't sell the F-22 to anyone

try this for size

http://www.dsca.mil/sites/default/files/final-fms-dcs_30_sep.pdf

Rhino power
11th Feb 2017, 12:52
Thanks for the link Harry, not really what I'm after though, I know the US won't sell certain weapons systems/aircraft to other nations but, as per my original post, they do now sell more capable versions of currently serving US aircraft to foreign air forces and at one time, way back in the day this was not the case...

-RP

Heathrow Harry
11th Feb 2017, 13:02
Well the F-16 is a 40 year old design and the F-15 is even older - a bit like selling people F-86 Sabres in 1984 - no doubt the upgrades help but they are still old designs

They've always sold some advanced aircraft to "friends" - the F-111 was sold to the UK and Australia at the same time it entered USAF service for example

Geordie_Expat
11th Feb 2017, 15:27
They've always sold some advanced aircraft to "friends" - the F-111 was sold to the UK

Never happened.

pr00ne
11th Feb 2017, 15:51
Geordie Expat,

Yes it did! Order placed and multiple airframes under construction, some complete, when the order was CANCELLED, so they were SOLD to the RAF, but cancelled before delivery could take place.

They DID sell them to the RAAF, and a very advanced version too.

tume
12th Feb 2017, 14:00
How about them F35s to ten different nations (and counting).

MG
12th Feb 2017, 18:17
Same applies in the UK. Anything that industry wants to sell abroad must have an application submitted to HMG. The chances are that some of the more top-end capabilities will be blocked.

Coochycool
12th Feb 2017, 19:12
Ditto the French

Merrily watched the Spaniards train up the Argentines on the Mirage F.1

Then vetoed the sale I believe

Davef68
13th Feb 2017, 08:58
Carter introduced this policy in 1977. There were exceptions (Some NATO countries, Israel, Iran)

This led to several requests for aircraft, such as the f16, being turned down

Lockheed was developing a downgraded F-16 version powered by the J79 engine for certain export markets, and Northrop the F20 however the law/policy was rescinded by Reagan when he became president.

Two's in
13th Feb 2017, 15:04
It's usually an Export Control (International Traffic in Arms Regulations - ITAR) issue than a sales issue. US equipment will often be sold with an exportable ITAR fit, rather than the standard fit. Some technology just isn't exportable, same as the UK.

Rhino power
13th Feb 2017, 15:09
Thankyou, Davef68, I knew I hadn't imagined it!

-RP