PDA

View Full Version : JFK Cruise Alt Holds??

WindSheer
9th Feb 2017, 18:43
Have noticed tonight that a/c are holding at cruise levels inbound to JFK.

Metar shows snow and wind, is the weather really causing holds that far out?

You don't see that at many other locations.

wiggy
9th Feb 2017, 20:22
It's not unknown. I'm not sure sure exactly what's going on at JFK today but on bad days in the past I've certainly held out north east of Boston going into JFK.

You don't see that at many other locations.

I was once held at Albany trying to get to Phillie due Thunderstorms around and to the north of PHL ..the American ATCers quite frequently utilise en-route holds.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
9th Feb 2017, 20:45
I've seen it in the UK with high level holding at WOD and CLN in bad wx when there simply wasn't any room in the TMA.

TopBunk
10th Feb 2017, 06:56
As Wiggy says.

I have also held in the Boston area (Kennebunk) before at FL360 or so inbound to JFK in a B744 due to thunderstorms. 2 minute legs at M0.78 (IIRC) certainly uses quite a lot of airspace!

atr-drivr
10th Feb 2017, 14:46
1/4 mi vis in heavy blowing snow....340-28G38....

WindSheer
10th Feb 2017, 17:06
It's quite interesting.

Provided the crew anticipated during planning for fuel then it's not a problem. But must be quite discomforting holding when still so far out from destination if you've got normal trip fuel on.
It would probably make sense to do more of this inbound to UK instead of having ridiculous congestion around the London Area. Heathrow Director will probably enlighten me as to why this isn't practical though......... ;)

wiggy
10th Feb 2017, 20:08
Hopefully looking at the weather the crews will have carried extra gas. One advantage of holding so far out to the north east of JFK is that you've got BOS nearby as a bolt hole ( if it's available ). What you have got to watch is that being "released" from one of these "outer outer" holds doesn't mean your then going to be no delay into destination, on a bad day it's possible to be released from the likes of Kennebunk, change controllers, and then be put into another closer hold. It is not a place to skimp on gas if the forecast is bad.

ZOOKER
11th Feb 2017, 12:30
High-level en-route holding patterns are published for The U.K. too, Windsheer.

BEL VOR, TLA VOR, DCS DME, STN VOR, GOW VOR, MCT VOR are a few I can remember offhand.